Classic Mac OS Software (Discussions on Applications) > DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) General Discussions

Korg Oasys PCI and Synthkit

<< < (2/4) > >>

Syn-Fi:
i had one of those cards, on close out, many years ago and recall that the oscillator modelling rang very true indeed - without aliasing.  it's a shame i didn't comprehend what that meant at the time.  The 'o-mod delays' from Dan Phillips are very cool too.  You had to enter an NDA for the Synthkit but i do not regard it as that interesting and if you want to go that way Kyma or Nord Modular is probably better.

refinery:

--- Quote from: Syn-Fi on August 24, 2018, 01:17:24 AM --- You had to enter an NDA for the Synthkit but i do not regard it as that interesting and if you want to go that way Kyma or Nord Modular is probably better.

--- End quote ---

both of which at this point are substantially more expensive than an oasys card. synthkit was the only way you could create your own instruments from scratch moreso than the included programs would allow. Even Korg themselves claim that they dont even have a copy anymore, so I really think any NDAs that might have been enforceable have long since expired.

Syntho:
Is the PCI card much different from the keyboard synth itself? Why is this PCI card so special? I didn't find but a single demo of it online. Hmm.

Metrophage:

--- Quote from: Syntho on August 24, 2018, 04:00:49 PM ---Is the PCI card much different from the keyboard synth itself? Why is this PCI card so special? I didn't find but a single demo of it online. Hmm.

--- End quote ---

The PCI card is more similar to the prototype keyboard. The final Oasys was released years later and was a completely different thing. On a user level, the keyboard had its own embedded OS, slicker interface, more pre-made content, and no longer allowed people to patch it themselves. So the released keyboard was a luxury workstation, while the PCI card was more like running Reaktor on an old Mac with DSP chips. You could get low-level with it, but the included instruments and effects have IMO a very well-crafted, polished sound.

refinery:

--- Quote from: Metrophage on August 24, 2018, 05:22:38 PM ---but the included instruments and effects have IMO a very well-crafted, polished sound.

--- End quote ---

Its basically the entire Trinity/Triton soundset + all of the EXB-PCM expansions for it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version