Author Topic: should we branch out further and make osx + xp sections of the board??  (Read 16248 times)

supernova777

should we branch out further and make osx + xp sections of the board??
what do u think?

personally my interest for using mac os 9 is to use it in conjunction with other machines by networking audio + midi and working with a
great number of computers using some for just vst + instrument synthesis + sampling

i do plan on having machines running osx + xp as part of my studio
because i want to be able to take advantage of all the osx only + xp only software out there! as well as os9 software!

just wondering to hear others thoughts + opinions..
we have planted a solid root here for others to find and hopefully take part in and to also share their own information that they come across
not everyone is that type of person who will share information for others but im hoping we will find some more information tracking + giving members
as time marches forward!!!!!!

anyways.. what do u guys think?? good idea? or stay focused on os9?? too complicated?
what are your thoughts?

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
Re: should we branch out further and make osx + xp sections of the board??
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 01:55:47 AM »
Very bad idea in my opinion. One of the biggest problems for Mac OS 9 users since Apple liked to tell us we are dead, was the force how NeXT was introduced, and should replace us. All the informations were everywhere mixed up, and OS 9 informations and discussions were always harder to find. It was a "political" desicion of apple to break support for us, and everywhere we had to deal with infos, drivers, and stuff of a complete different UNIX Operating System instead of our beloved Mac OS. Making an X subforum at an Mac OS 9 page is useless

Knez

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 10:42:56 AM »
I agree with Mat. This is the only place on the net where you can discuss Mac OS 9 music production in depth. You have tons of forums dedicated to OSX and Windows XP, so I don't really like the idea to make it "wider". The OS9 focus of the site is it's strength.

supernova777

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 06:29:53 PM »
with all due respect matt,
this is about using the os for achieving with music production
this site isnt simply 'all about os9'
its about using the audiosoftware that was written on the basis of os9

my interest lies predominantly with making music using the software
not to be os9 only. i use windows + osx machines everyday
as i would expect so do a large number of other musicians.

using old macs allows me to free up my other machines for ohter
more suitable purposes, of course u would agree i dont need an i7 to
send a few midi signals or sequence some basic notes + drums

similiarly to how there are plugins that are only available for os9
there are other plugins + music making software only availble to pc
(f.e. fl studio, gigasampler etc) and some only available to osx+

mat tbh ihavent seen u post anything about music production at all
in any of the posts ive seen by you! are u a musician/producer?
do u have any interest in using any of these daw applications or
audio hardware we have painstakingly documented + referred to
time and time again? or are u a lost travelling os9 vigilante;)

merry xmas either way guys..

supernova777

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2013, 06:35:21 PM »
BTW, I am as well not happy with the focus on Audio issues. But I can live with it, as long as other stuff is accepted as well. But I would like some equal PrePress section and other stuff as well.

honestly i think u might be better off contributing to the site macintoshgarden.org
which has a broader "All encompasing" spectrum
the reason we have this site is because sites like macintoshgarden do not focus on audio and the information is vague and hard to come by if your going to macintoshgarden looking for audio app information. similar to the obscurity u just described re: os9 vs osx i understand completely what u are referring to -- anyone who has ever tried to find os9 info would! its definately not easy.. thats why weve recorded all the info here on this site that we have. to hopefully make it easier for others who would give up easily upon being met with challenges thus making it possible for people to actually DO SOMETHING WORTHWhILE with these old 'throwaway' machines

supernova777

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2013, 08:28:30 PM »
mat
my comments were not hostile.. i was speaking my perspective + opinions.
i have been the biggest contributor here and i have put alot of effort into my "copy + paste stuff" in order to root the msg board and have subject matter that gets linked via search enegines to drive visitors + additional content creation

my comments were merely factual from my perspective u are obviously free to do what u wish but this place remains a very low population forum...

supernova777

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2013, 08:40:38 PM »
i think its fairly clear that this site has always had a focus on music software
nearly 90% of the content is related to music software
i have absolutely no interest in being hostile towards you personally mat
and i have every interest in continuing hard work to figure out which plugins work and which dont
and to document installation purposes so that people can make use of the information here on the site

my comments directed toward u were not meant to be hostile + kick u out of the kmsg board
u obviously are free to do as u wish i was merely pointing out the obvious that u may have not wanted to
see. but if u review the sites content, both on the forum + main page i think u will find this site is entirely
based around using daw applications, using the optimal hardware to get the optimal performance  etc
'comes with the territory'

supernova777

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2013, 08:53:58 PM »
anyway back to my original topic ..
when i speak of adding sections for xp + osx- i mean focused on the AUDIO SOFTWARE for those operating systems.. not general tips + bullshit on osx + xp,

as i indicated i have osx machines + windows 7 + windows xp machines that i intend on using in my studio aswell
why? not because i love xp. but because there is some hardware + software that works best on it..
for example using m-powered pro tools on xp allows u to get inputs from up to 4 pci cards active
and recognized under pro tools . makijng it possible to have a 40in/out pro tools system
frm what i understand you cant do this on mac because it just doesnt work, due to drivers or hardcoded limitations
by avid + m-audio. but it WORKS ON PC running 32bit xp..  etc etc

or using software such as gigasampler / fl studio that was never written for mac os ..
the same reasons why im interested in os9, was to use the software vsts' and other software that was MAC ONLY
to give me access to using these programs that were made TO BE USED! not deleted + discarded - the same way that an old synthesizer is cool to play with well so are these old virrtual ones!

theres always similar situations where certain versions of software work on certain os but not another and im trying to take advantage of all the available working options that i can get my hands on.. and also to document this because it takes a lot of time + trial + error for anyone to figure out on their own, i would rather others benefit from my sacrifice of time spent trying to figure it out then to have others have to struggle thru figuring thijngs out. that is what im all about. helping people. passing on information to allow others to get from zero to hero and be productive and follow their music production dreams thru to fruition.. even in the face of limited budgets + other limitations..
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 11:31:29 PM by chrisNova777 »

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2013, 07:44:22 PM »
OK, just to set the record straight...

1) Adding any forums/topics that aren't related directly to Mac OS 9 (XP, Mac OS X, Win7) would be a mistake; as stated, those resources are available elsewhere and that would be the farthest thing from the purpose of the site/forum, so let's all stay focused on that... Mac OS only. In fact, Mac OS 9 only. As the Website states, "For this reason, I am focusing this site on non-Intel PPC Macs that are Beige G3s and newer and are running Mac OS 9.2.2 (I am allowed to do that since I am paying GoDaddy aka "Who's your Daddy" for the Web-hosting). I apologize in advance to those who will send hate e-mail via their supped-up Performa 5200."  We have some Mac OS 8 stuff avail., but OS 9 is the intended focus. As far as System 7... we will have to direct those questions elsewhere, if there are any resources left

2) There are so few of us left with any interest in OS 9 that I would greatly appreciate if all members respect each other's opinions and do not "Quote" respond and Argue...leave that shit for the lawyers, "can't we all just get along" lol

3) As far as Chris... he has helped the forum greatly by posting and sparking interest, he IS the reason for many new members and is a very valued right hand; but I personally would like if we eventually make the forum closer to the original design which was "Mac OS 9 lives" all applications (Video, Audio, Music, Games), all hardware, all software... Having tons of DAW applications and plugins is absolutely awesome IMO, but basing the entire forum on "Powermac G4 music production" is too limiting since Many Mac OS websites for general help & support have fallen off over the years. We can all brainstorm and make the forum "better, stronger, faster..." and Bionic, So I would welcome another admin that can expand the non-audio sections of the forum, and Chris & Mactron can focus on the Audio stuff.

- Jerry

supernova777

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2013, 08:16:39 PM »
but basing the entire forum on "Powermac G4 music production" is too limiting since Many Mac OS websites for general help & support have fallen off over the years. We can all brainstorm and make the forum "better, stronger, faster..." and Bionic, So I would welcome another admin that can expand the non-audio sections of the forum, and Chris & Mactron can focus on the Audio stuff

ok this is news to me, as i told u before jerry, when i found the site initially it was called macos9daw so i had assumed audio was your primary focus... we have been focusing on the one thing that was supremely lacking on the net, audio production on os9, there was + is nowhere else to find this information, and it takes alot of work + effort to dig it up, thats why ive contributed my time + effort to making this information available to the world , whomever is seeking to find this info, now has a way greater change to stumble upon this site + find all relevant info with MUCH less effort then it took me to find, it took me years to find out all of the things i have posted here..  Also if you browse the content here, almost all of it is speaking about these applications + plugins. or the supporting operating system that is a requirement to run said applications.

as far i see it, there arent very many "still-relevant" uses for the os OTHER than audio,, and just like how you say on the site:

If you are working on the new Transformers movie or if you need to individually pitch correct a choir of 40 vocalists, then you will need OS X or windows 7 to create your 5.1 surround sound masterpiece. However, if most of your projects consist of audio and MIDI tracks that are mixed to a stereo master, then you came to the right place.

for audio: the delivery mechanism remains the same as ever, prerequsite: 1 or 2 ears:) no browser version update required
everything else..  its time has come + gone. Excluding maybe photoshop + illustrator art production..  but as far as im concerned, these old macs arent good for web design any more because they cant even render the websites you would want to work on.

one other thing i will bring up is that from what i have seen online, there is a large number of angry negative people (common vernacular would refer to these people as trolls), wherever u go on the internet... these people tend to have a strong opinion and immediatey take a my way vs your way perspective + get rooted + throw down the gauntlets and get to fighting.. by any means neccessary.. there only goal is to win the argument and get some kind of rush but after the argument is over they dissappear back into the shadows waiting for someone else to pounce on.. they arent working towards anything other then to pounce on people and break them -- they generally have very little purpose other then to try to stir shit up + get people arguing.
i have seen this often surrounding people who are into "old mac stuff" espcially on sites like 68kmla etc people who are just cranky + uptight + looking for an arguement, i hope we can keep "on topic" and focused with some type of information as a goal. for me, i am reaching the limit now of having worked my way thru all the topics of os9 audio that i can brainstorm up, (as u can see i have 550 posts as of today, which is 4x what anyone else has added at least on this site) which is why i brought up moving into the realm of xp + osx is probably my next move having run out of things to bring up for discussion, so perhaps my additions to the site were only an initial push and maybe i can make another site of my own for osx + xp.

its funny because you start out by saying basing the site on powerpc music production is too limiting... but yet.. noone is really adding content  regularly + continually here but me... and im just trying to continue my brainstorming + information research.. (which as i said, i seem to be reaching the end of topics to pursue) so in fact by you guys rejecting my proposition it is in fact *I* who will be limited as to what im allowed to be able to contribute ;)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 08:29:36 PM by chrisNova777 »

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2013, 08:36:52 PM »
Chris, you are very appreciated and the only limitation I will impose is sticking OS 9 as the mainstay.  The emphasis of Music is great, it has kept me using OS 9 as a tool for so very long... in fact, as other's assume it is obsolete, we collect the rewards of cheap hardware and free software to build a studio with.... for the price of 1 iphone ($600), we can buy 2 G4s, Audio interface, Powercore cards, UAD cards, and a few displays.... i mean wow !

The only point I would like to make is that I receive emails from people who still use OS 9 for Video Editing, Gaming, Publishing, and other applications, so it appears, there are other holdouts in other areas than just music. Yes, 2 ears for audio.. no change in requirements... and 2 eyes for Video and Publishing and gaming. So we have to make the site inviting to all holdouts in all arenas... I am not asking you to do all that, you have done so much already... if there is truly interest in these other applications then members can post and we will expand the boards; if not, than we will stay on the DAW topics until other's want to express their opinions and contribute their knowledge in other areas

supernova777

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2013, 08:46:07 PM »
yes... exactly... so there is an opening for anyone who wishes to take the board in that direction to rise to the occasion + challenge and champion it.  but yes, this person will not be me.

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2013, 03:08:19 AM »

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2013, 03:11:47 AM »
i can imagine the combination of video and audio for projects and maybe some other applications like 3d. im here because there is a need to find people with the same interest and thats hard to find these days because most of the time the only comment we get is "upgrade your hard and software" which isnt what we looking for.

supernova777

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2013, 04:01:22 AM »
i can imagine the combination of video and audio for projects and maybe some other applications like 3d. im here because there is a need to find people with the same interest and thats hard to find these days because most of the time the only comment we get is "upgrade your hard and software" which isnt what we looking for.

yes everyone is 'upgrade' crazy and its the only business model these companies can come up with apparently

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2013, 06:01:56 AM »
OK, just to set the record straight...

1) Adding any forums/topics that aren't related directly to Mac OS 9 (XP, Mac OS X, Win7) would be a mistake; as stated, those resources are available elsewhere and that would be the farthest thing from the purpose of the site/forum, so let's all stay focused on that... Mac OS only. In fact, Mac OS 9 only. As the Website states, "For this reason, I am focusing this site on non-Intel PPC Macs that are Beige G3s and newer and are running Mac OS 9.2.2 (I am allowed to do that since I am paying GoDaddy aka "Who's your Daddy" for the Web-hosting).

I absolutely agree with Jerry.

2) There are so few of us left with any interest in OS 9 that I would greatly appreciate if all members respect each other's opinions and do not "Quote" respond and Argue...leave that shit for the lawyers, "can't we all just get along" lol

3) As far as Chris... he has helped the forum greatly by posting and sparking interest, he IS the reason for many new members and is a very valued right hand; but I personally would like if we eventually make the forum closer to the original design which was "Mac OS 9 lives" all applications (Video, Audio, Music, Games), all hardware, all software... Having tons of DAW applications and plugins is absolutely awesome IMO, but basing the entire forum on "Powermac G4 music production" is too limiting since Many Mac OS websites for general help & support have fallen off over the years. We can all brainstorm and make the forum "better, stronger, faster..." and Bionic, So I would welcome another admin that can expand the non-audio sections of the forum, and Chris & Mactron can focus on the Audio stuff.

- Jerry

Even more I agree into focussing in DAW software for Mac Os "Classic" (primary Mac Os 9.x, but 8.x and 7.x also). This is very HARD TO FIND in the whole internet and that's what brought me here.
I'm a very busy man, and cant loose my time explaining to novices how to install Mac Os on a beige G3 −for example−, especially when there are ton of web pages that explain this.
I respect those topics, but I try to no participate in topics like this because my time is short and I have the ilussion to help primary in topics where my help will be very important, because others with far more knowledge than me are gone forever (to Os X, Windows...)
I respect if we branch out further and make osx + xp sections of the board. But I'll not participate in this sections
I'm my opinion this will be a GREAT MISTAKE. It will deadly  dilute and disaggregate the core of this forum.
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2013, 12:52:28 PM »
branch out but keep it os 6, 7, 8, 9 related thats what i think is a good choice. there are many 95, 98, me, xp forums around even microsoft covers still some of it. im a mac fan and thats what i was looking for when i found this forum. i dont care if you got questions about games or apps thats all fine as long as it is mac os related.

supernova777

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2013, 10:03:51 PM »
honestly by the sounds of it. you guys are all just interested in os9..
whereas im interesting makin music. using whatever i can get my hands on
XP is the os9 of windows..
and panther/tiger are just as "oldschool" as os9 pretty much....
tbh i really like panther/tiger and i dont think theres many sites focused on making
music with G4's loaded with panther/tiger either..
and theres just as much powerpc osx panther/tiger only softwares as
there are os9 only softwares..

u say focus on os9?? what is left to discuss that hasnt been discussed already?
if u guys want this content, then build it.
put in the work.. write some threads.. link to interesting content..
please.. theres a serious lack of activity here..
mat called what i do "Copy/Paste"ing but its a helluva lot more involved than that
i would call it breadcrumbing to important forgotten gingerbread houses full of candy
its a combination of research + collecting information + then sharing that information.
information you think is valuable to what you are interested in and what u think is
worth investigating and learning that will lead to and yield greater creative potential..

« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 10:05:38 PM by chrisNova777 »

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2014, 01:18:49 PM »
Calm down boys! Everybody is right in their opinions.

We can't thank enought DieHard and chrisNova777 for their contributions, the first starting the MacOs9Lives and the second for make the first "wikipedia" arround MacOs9DAW. We should focus on Os9, but the hardware we have (PowerMacs with professional pci $$$ hardware) make my heart divided on how good is Logic 5 and 6 and Protools 5 with Os9 and how good it goes in OsX same equipment. It is simply different and equally good (with less performance in OsX sometimes). I have differents RTAS/VST in Os9 that on OsX and mixes sounds different and I have my sound oppinion on LE system. I think here is the only forum where we can talk about it and about pirated plugs without been banned.

We should welcome any Os9 non DAW users to create "Wikis" based on ImageManipulation, Video, Office based on any "macintosh garden" Os9 software and workflows. Final cut pro 3, Adobe Ps and Premiere, Macromedia, ... the list of productive software is HUGE.

I came into macos9lives from my retrodaw love. I have an Guillemot MaxiSound Isis (with Logic Pro Isis v3.6)  that only works in windows 9x-Me in the same room that my quad hackintosh, my G3, my G4 and a Pentium4. Digi001+FocusriteSaphireLiquid56+AudiomediaIII+Audiophile24/96+Isis is my rig to record 8+8+2+2+8 (28) tracks (4DAWs). I can make some post (not as many as chrisNova777) on working on mixed enviroments including Os9DAWs if DieHard think it is ok.

RetroDaw x86 talks should have home here too as chris already had made with some post before.

The red line is talking about WinXP DAWs? Windows Logic v5 (w9x or Xp) users were the first "left behind" users at the will of Steve Jobs. Later he killed Os9. And PowerPC in 2005 too. It is pure empathy  :)  No Logic6 on PC, no MacOS9.2.3 and no G6. Jobs was our enemy!   >:(     ;D
The foundation of DieHard and Chris work on Os9DAWs will make LOTS of mixed environment DAWs users with time as LowEndMac breathed some air to PowerPC users some years ago. It is better that we allow that talk and post here but in a different childboard that have ChrisNova heart and mine divided with MacOs9Lives and a posible PowerPCMacOsXDAWLives/MacintoshGarden/Macrumors/68kLiberation  spin-off .

Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

supernova777

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2014, 05:28:55 PM »
there are some softwaers u cant run on os9.. my main interest in os9 was to maximize my ability to use a wider range of apps..
not limit it