Author Topic: Network file-sharing twixt OS9 and [other-OS] ... how?  (Read 17249 times)

Offline Metrophage

• Veteran Member
Re: Network file-sharing twixt OS9 and [other-OS] ... how?
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2018, 10:34:13 PM »
Thanks MacTron, but I meant the many dozens of options in the Linux .cfg files! I know that Netatalk looks and acts just like Appletalk to client Macs, that's the easy part.

Offline Sweep

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2018, 12:07:10 PM »
You guys please excuse me if this has been answered already in this thread but I haven't the knowledge to figure out if this is the case.
I have a Apple mac running 9.2 and want to connect it to my Windows 10 PC so I can move TIFF files from the Mac to the PC.
Both machines are connected to my home router by cat5 cable and both can see the internet if that has anything to do with things.
At the moment i am shifting the files via a USB stick but that is unrelaible, slow, and seems pretty crude.
The reason for the Mac machine is that i am running a 1990's vintage drum scanner that will only work on apple.

For those of you kind enough to reply, please keep your explanations as simple as possible with lots of hand holding and pretty pictures.

Many thanks

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2018, 12:26:47 PM »
You guys please excuse me if this has been answered already in this thread but I haven't the knowledge to figure out if this is the case.
I have a Apple mac running 9.2 and want to connect it to my Windows 10 PC so I can move TIFF files from the Mac to the PC.
Both machines are connected to my home router by cat5 cable and both can see the internet if that has anything to do with things.
At the moment i am shifting the files via a USB stick but that is unrelaible, slow, and seems pretty crude.
The reason for the Mac machine is that i am running a 1990's vintage drum scanner that will only work on apple.

For those of you kind enough to reply, please keep your explanations as simple as possible with lots of hand holding and pretty pictures.

Many thanks

Give ftp a shot. install the filezilla server on the windows machine and transfer all files to a set directory.

Offline Sweep

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2018, 10:42:40 AM »
Even that sounds like a foreign language Devil but I will search for Filezilla and give it a go

thanks for your reply

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2018, 11:37:54 AM »
filezilla is probably easier setup than a ftp server on os9 so if you need guidance at some point let me know.

https://filezilla-project.org/download.php?type=server

https://filezilla-project.org/

1st link is the win only server
2nd is the main website

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2018, 03:23:07 PM »
first thing to do is giving your computers fixed IPs (while otherwise retaining your current dhcp setup), this makes things a bit easier.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline Sweep

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2018, 02:22:46 PM »
Thanks again guys. I will give Filezilla a go this weekend and see how far it get

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2018, 06:56:17 AM »
No problem with resource forks.The biggest drawback is that only files smaller than 2 Gb can be used and transferred.
I'm tryin netatalk  on Manjaro linux (an Arch linux based distro) and I have found that the 3.x versions destroy resource forks of mac Os 9 files!!
So we have to be aware of this terrible issue!!
I have notice the same issue in some NAS hard disk, and the cause seems to be the same, as most of this stuff are based on netatalk software.
Furthermore the Arch based Linux distro lacks an "automatic" netatalk configuration. Fortunatelly it's easy to configure, but not "automatic"...

The Debian based linux distros as Ubuntu and Mint uses the old 2.x version wich is best to work with Mac Os 9 files... AFAIK
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2020, 03:04:29 PM »
Now a day I'm using with linux Mint 20 Mate edition netatalk 2.2.6-1 from ubuntu.
Attached in case someone need it.
Please don't PM about things that are not private.