Author Topic: Mac mini... mSATA, DOM, SSD upgrades?  (Read 19435 times)

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
Mac mini... mSATA, DOM, SSD upgrades?
« on: June 03, 2018, 09:06:44 AM »
The DOM concept / application in this instance is interesting, especially considering overall cost. A Kingspec PATA IDE DOM 44 PIN 64 GB is eBay-listed today for $55.88. IF a similar 128 GB DOM was available for double the price, the cost per GB might more compete with the mSATA + adapter cost... except for the fact that Protools5LEGuy has ordered a 240 GB mSATA with adapter for 90 Euro / $104.00. I’ve written Delock about a possible U.S. distributor of their mSATA adapter.

And… there are questions about speed, overall performance and the actual reliability of the “lesser expensive” DOMs.

Newegg has the 128 GB Kingspec PATA/IDE SSD listed for $88.75 (less expensive than the OWC 120 GB @ $128.75). Yet, still half the space of the 240 GB mSATA+adapter for just a bit less. Seems we’re paying more for the 44 PIN compatability over the less expensive SATA SSDs?

Then there’s the PATA/IDE SATA adapter route described here: https://luttztfz.wordpress.com/2015/10/05/mac-mini-g4-sata-hddssd-upgrade/ …wherein luttzftz arrives at the conclusion that it all may not really be worth the effort, considering the shortcomings inherent with the G4 Mini’s actual performance in the first place. (This, after he guts an SSD for his particular application.)

With all of the above in mind, possibly an “upgrade” from an original 4200 RPM HD to a 5400 RPM HD might provide more “bang-for-the-buck” in the G4 Mac mini?

Unless of course… the mSATA + adapter mentioned by Protools5LEGuy does prove successful?
This Must Be The Place

Online Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: Mac mini... mSATA, DOM, SSD upgrades?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 09:21:07 AM »
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Online Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 09:26:00 AM »
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/msata-vs-sata-drive-in-a-g4-powerbook.2027276/#post-24195525
Bobesch have dismanteled one unit and it has the best voltage conversión design of all the adapters
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 09:44:19 AM »
Thanks very much!
Have quickly skimmed both your references and will read more closely, later.
(Too much on plate today.) Does seem a very viable alternative to previous choices.
Great info!
This Must Be The Place

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 10:37:30 AM »
Protools5LEGuy,

As if i could have waited to read more closely…

Nearest Delock dealer to the U.S. is in Iceland (and local airport has just begun direct flights to Iceland).
But… rather than fly to Iceland or try to translate that webpage (or German for that matter) would you
provide specifics and info about the adapter and where you’ve ordered from?

Part numbers, contact info, etcetera.

Given the recent U.S. trade tariffs and the possible cost effect upon future “Euro-goods”
it might be best to order these fairly soon (for U.S. residents).
Open post, or PM me all the info please.

The mSATA shouldn’t be difficult to acquire in the U.S. but that adapter (Delock or “other”)
may become a bit more expensive as time marches on.

Thanks.
This Must Be The Place

Online Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2018, 11:01:41 AM »
Just look on Amazon the cheapest red adapter with frame. Check those post for the one that americans order. I had to make the quest for the product in Europe with the americans descriptions...
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 11:19:38 AM by Protools5LEGuy »
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Online Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 11:32:50 AM by Protools5LEGuy »
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Online Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2018, 11:41:21 AM »
From weckart
The DeLock/Lycom/Aleratec/Kouwell/Addonics/Kourotoshikou adapter has the Marvell chipset and that one is the most reliable with Apple hardware. The JMicron 20330 chipset found on cheaper adapters also works with most but not all SSDs but an earlier revision of the chipset was found to be buggy and unstable. 
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline Ninester

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2018, 01:42:37 PM »
Another one that I'm looking at: 3.3 volt compatible with Samsung and Toshiba and Intel mSATA.

A "dogfish" 120GB combo $51.48  If you get full return rights, may be worth it?

...the link!  https://www.amazon.com/Aneew-mSATA-SSD-Adapter-Case/dp/B0773NJL3W/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_107_tr_t_2/131-1367848-6892618?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=0DGZDN8YDJSV0AFVP6FP&dpID=41Evler1k9L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=detail

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2018, 04:26:00 PM »
most ide2sata adapters i have seen would not at all fit into a minis HD slot.
insert arbitrary signature here

Online Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2018, 04:45:00 PM »
From weckart
The DeLock/Lycom/Aleratec/Kouwell/Addonics/Kourotoshikou adapter has the Marvell chipset and that one is the most reliable with Apple hardware. The JMicron 20330 chipset found on cheaper adapters also works with most but not all SSDs but an earlier revision of the chipset was found to be buggy and unstable. 
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline Ninester

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2018, 05:13:52 PM »
Most of the info I find is 4 years old! With all the chipsets out I find it odd that no one has a working solution for the G4 mini.  Has anyone peeked inside the OWC drive?  Yep, we have to stay 2.5" form factor by any means correct?

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2018, 03:33:47 AM »

2,5" - and a reduced height, which is the main problem.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2018, 03:35:34 AM »
in my opinion - because i am not so keen to open mini cases - firewire is the best solution if you want to add flash memory for cheap. boots into OS9 fine, can be used on more than one computer by replugging...

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2018, 08:14:53 AM »
2.5" - and a reduced height, which is the main problem.

Hey 110, ya got a big bucket of ice water there? ;)

2.5" hard drives normally come in one of three thicknesses:
   •   12.5 mm - these are the Super-Phat drives that probably only larger laptops (DTRs and workstations) can fit. They usually have three platters instead of two, enabling higher capacity.
   •   9.5 mm - this is the most common size and should fit most laptops without problems.
   •   7 mm - these slim drives are used in thinner laptops (like ultraportables). Most (enclosed) SSDs are also in this size, and usually include a plastic bumper to increase the thickness to 9.5 mm in case the HDD mounting system requires it.

Here's a pic of the Delock  (Item No. 62495) and its' thickness... and once PT5 gets his Zheino mSATA SSD installed in the converter, maybe he'll let us know if it exceeds the 7mm thickness?

This Must Be The Place

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2018, 11:57:50 AM »
may had a new record heat in germany.

that drives look good.

all i know about 2,5" is that you can put a "normal" disk into the mini when you swap the optical for it.

since the optical drive sucks balls that is what i will do one day with my G4 minis.

Online Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2018, 12:12:53 PM »
may had a new record heat in germany.

that drives look good.

all i know about 2,5" is that you can put a "normal" disk into the mini when you swap the optical for it.

since the optical drive sucks balls that is what i will do one day with my G4 minis.
I can be wrong, but you could swap the optical drive for a drive and the mechanical drive for a SSD, but the optical ATA bus is 33. THere were adaptors for swapping the optical drive for a SSD SATA, also for ATA and SATA powerbooks/Macbooks.
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2018, 12:22:29 PM »
tjat could be.  then it wont make too much sense. and my intel minis i use something better already (external). :/

no info here:
https://everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_mini/specs/mac_mini_g4_1.42.html

gotto boot... here we go... no we dont, system profiler does not reveal it.

Online Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2018, 09:10:17 PM »
That is for swapping Optical drives WITH TRAY and needs to be exchanged for a 12.7 mm optical. I am not sure if it will work for trayless opticals, but If I were IIO, after all the BlueRay disk safari, I would try.
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4