Author Topic: Alesis HD24 Recorder  (Read 3309 times)

Offline SonikArchitects

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
Alesis HD24 Recorder
« on: May 29, 2018, 08:49:30 PM »
Hey guys!

Wow crazy cool progress going with the new OS9 builds!! I can't believe you guys are getting it running on G4's. Kind of dying. I'll be needing to try this soon. Congrats and thanks to all doing all that hard work. Incredible.

What this post is really about: !

I'm using an Alesis HD24 recorder in one of the rooms here and it's incredible. No computer in there (actually an old DOS PC running Voyetra) so just using as a tape deck and sounds and works INSANELY well.

Anyway, I've got one of these Alesis HD24 1394 Fireport deals for attaching the drives to. Can only find early OS X drivers and software. Do you guys know of OS9 versions of any of this stuff? I never had this "back in the day" when it was out.

I've been posting lots of videos on my FB (/BT) of the room I am using this in called #bRoomSessions
I think a lot of you guys will get a big kick out of that even though no OS9 Computers are used.

My main OS9 rig is nearly done.
Hope you're all doing fantastic. I need to check in more often.

All my best,
_BT

Offline refinery

• Gold Member
Re: Alesis HD24 Recorder
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 09:09:21 PM »
no unfortunately that card was only supported on OSX 10.2 and later.

while its not strictly OS9, this site may have more information on helping you integrate your HD24 into your workflow (somehow)
https://ringbreak.dnd.utwente.nl/~mrjb/hd24tools/index.html
got my mind on my scsi and my scsi on my mind

Offline kslight

• Newcomer
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 10:32:06 AM »
Hey guys!

Wow crazy cool progress going with the new OS9 builds!! I can't believe you guys are getting it running on G4's. Kind of dying. I'll be needing to try this soon. Congrats and thanks to all doing all that hard work. Incredible.

What this post is really about: !

I'm using an Alesis HD24 recorder in one of the rooms here and it's incredible. No computer in there (actually an old DOS PC running Voyetra) so just using as a tape deck and sounds and works INSANELY well.

Anyway, I've got one of these Alesis HD24 1394 Fireport deals for attaching the drives to. Can only find early OS X drivers and software. Do you guys know of OS9 versions of any of this stuff? I never had this "back in the day" when it was out.

I've been posting lots of videos on my FB (/BT) of the room I am using this in called #bRoomSessions
I think a lot of you guys will get a big kick out of that even though no OS9 Computers are used.

My main OS9 rig is nearly done.
Hope you're all doing fantastic. I need to check in more often.

All my best,
_BT

Hey this may or may not be a ton of help. I have an HD24XR, and honestly the fastest way to transfer audio out of it (IMHO) is real-time via ADAT.  I’ve never bothered with the FireWire caddy and it’s been awhile since i messed with the ftp feature.  I used an M Audio Profite Lightbridge to do this as it could do 32 I/O over ADAT at once... but this is not Mac OS9 compatible.  With your setup it would probably be simplest to just get a couple ADAT bridges. 

For years I actually used my HD24XR as straight converters...not recording to the hard drives at all.  But I also have carried it around to record concerts and dump 2” tape to digital.  Sounds great though I noticed a difference when I upgraded.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 10:45:22 AM »

I have been using the HD24 for recording live for over 15 years, converters always sound awesome, best stand-alone HD recorder I ever bought.

anyway, BT, you can use the Fireport or ANY FW external case and use the 3rd party free software; but the highest OS you can go without glitches is Snow Leopard; it works flawlessly and fast, I have my Mac Pros triple boot to SL, ML and El Cap; I only boot to SL to transfer from the HD24 drives.  They also sell caddys that convert SATA to be used in the HD24, but I never needed or tried them

https://ringbreak.dnd.utwente.nl/~mrjb/hd24tools/

Low mids and bass are very warm on the HD24, I never got the XL mod, but it is suppose to be even better, IMO the box "sounds" so much better than ADAT, and produces results similar to a Tascam DA38