Author Topic: Mac mini a1103 in the mail...  (Read 4410 times)

Offline Ninester

• Enthusiast Member
Mac mini a1103 in the mail...
« on: May 29, 2018, 01:38:28 PM »
Plans are to clean fan and repaste CPU when delivered. Next, want to install OS 9 and Tiger in separate partitions, if you guys think possible. Be interesting to pit against my QS Dual 1G in OS 9 for grins.

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
Re: Mac mini a1103 in the mail...
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 01:52:43 PM »
i dont see why it shouldnt be possible. well unless you use soft that can use the dual cpu there is no real benefit. the system is not going to switch between the cpu's.

Offline Ninester

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 05:30:27 PM »
i dont see why it shouldnt be possible. well unless you use soft that can use the dual cpu there is no real benefit. the system is not going to switch between the cpu's.

Switch between cpu's? You must be referring to OS 9 and the QS? That one I do dual boot between 9 and Tiger on separate partitions to help with housekeeping but yeah not using anything that uses both cpu's with OS 9.

I read that wizards got OS 9 working with the mini, I have planned to use two partitions, one for Tiger and OS 9 on the mini...

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 06:38:05 PM »
get the latest mini OS image and follow the instructions.

to boot between different systems you will have to use the bootmanager, the speaker wont work and the audio out has no volume control. the the rest is almost as you are used to.

dismantling a G4 mini case is a pain though.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 10:49:12 PM »

Not so much a pain… really depends on how you go about it. (Carefully.)

Using a Maxcraft single-edged razor blade paint scraper to begin the initial spread between the base and the upper case, I then use either a simple putty knife or the concrete-tool margin trowel to work my way around, prying the base up and away from the case as I go.

You could probably use a single edged razor blade alone, just to barely pry enough space to enter the putty knife or the trowel to start this… but some sort of holder for the blade is safer. The 2 inch wide margin trowel seems to work easiest for me. The small putty knife shown here would be better if it were 2 inches, or wider. I have used larger.

Now, you can either go around all three sides in this manner or, once you get one side up and part of the front… you can some times pry up from the back plastic I/O area to pop the whole case up and loose. And, you really don’t need the razor blade after you get one side up.

*Anything other than using a small flat-edge screwdriver that scars and marrs the surfaces.
This Must Be The Place

Offline RossDarker

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 11:48:41 PM »
I've got a new ISO that I'll upload soon, it fixes some problems. It'll still be called v7, but it's a update to it, including removing some "-36" errors from CD Extras.

Offline Ninester

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 09:01:32 AM »

*Anything other than using a small flat-edge screwdriver that scars and marrs the surfaces.

Thanks Fury, also added hammer, blowtorch, hacksaw;)  I have some of your tools and some thin blades as seen on iFixit.  I also added vacuum, and air compressor if this thing anything like the QS when first opened..ewwe.. :)

Offline Ninester

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 09:03:48 AM »
I've got a new ISO that I'll upload soon, it fixes some problems. It'll still be called v7, but it's a update to it, including removing some "-36" errors from CD Extras.

Excellent, thanks for your hard work!

...still waiting on postman..

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2018, 11:38:08 AM »

Fury deBongo wrote:

six pages of how-to

...thats what i thought. :)
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline Ninester

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2018, 05:55:38 PM »
get the latest mini OS image and follow the instructions.

to boot between different systems you will have to use the bootmanager, the speaker wont work and the audio out has no volume control. the the rest is almost as you are used to.

Thanks IIO,

Just downloaded ISO and "Special Thanks (in alphabetical order): to Daniel, darthnVader, ELN, Mactron, MacOS Plus, nanopico, RossDarker, and all Others who made this possible!"

...still waiting on mailman...

Offline RossDarker

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2018, 01:15:23 AM »
One on downloads board right now as I type has corrupt files in CD Extras folder, so make sure to use the one from https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JtsVSVlWDOAjZBeZnVOP3chdS3spJzLf/view?usp=sharing

The way to tell if you have the newest ISO right now, is to mount the ISO disk image, browse to the CD Extras folder, and then open the Bugdom folder. If "Bugdom 1.2.1 Update" is tagged (OS X) or labeled (OS 9), as blue you have latest one. If it is marked red, then you have the older version, of the ISO.

By the way this colour thing was not the error (I just preferred that folder being blue when I made this latest v7). If you attempt (well at least I) try to copy the whole Bugdom folder to you hard drive, you would get "File cannot be copied because a disk error occurred". This happened also when trying to copy over the Classilla folder. You won't be able to use Classilla or Bugdom then. So this latest ISO fixes all this. (And also I emptied the Trash on the ISO before I uploaded it this time, the old one I BELIEVE has a 2nd USB OverDrive installer in the Trash.)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 01:31:45 AM by RossDarker »

Offline Ninester

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2018, 06:52:18 AM »
Thanks for the update.

Mini should be here Tuesday so will check for new upload or follow your post.

Mike