Author Topic: Which DVD-R's can burn in a TiBook  (Read 7505 times)

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
Re: Which DVD-R's can burn in a TiBook
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2018, 07:44:32 PM »
Pretty sure it's the Super Drive now

oh yeah. at least disc util, unlike toast, properely reports whats up.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline RossDarker

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2018, 02:36:56 AM »
I think the stuff under media was which disk I had in at the time. Like when I put in a TINTIN DVD, it will say DVD-ROM. If I put in any disk that I have burned my self, it says DVD-R.

You see I can CONFIRM that I burned a DVD from the TiBook yesterday, a Verbatim DVD-R:

This was right after the restart of the firmware of the drive from D0CB -> D101. The DVD that I burned works just normal, there are no errors/scratches on the disk, or anything that looks bad.

But now I can't burn again, error has come back. But I have definitely burned once in it, after originally getting this error.

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2018, 09:23:07 AM »
Might refer back to http://superdrive.cynikal.net and review all caveats and points noted there.
Without having a similar Ti here to replicate your symptoms / attempted fixes...
sorry, the best I can offer.

Does it currently burn regular old CDs without fail?
(Weakened, failing or underpowered laser scenario?)

Initially, your question was about "type" of DVD media...
now more questioning actual function of the drive itself?

[Reading from cynical.net...
it seems Apple did no one any favors with that specific drive.]

My stubborn mind eventually reverts to back-up, wipe and re-install OS...
either on onboard HD or bootable external to test "square-one" basic function.
*Before teardown and replace. Anything to avoid throwing money.

And then... there's PatchBurn http://www.patchburn.de Check it out.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 10:23:47 AM by Fury deBongo »
This Must Be The Place

Offline RossDarker

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2018, 02:32:22 PM »
CDs burn fine yeah. I reverted the firmware of the drive back to D0CB just now. Yeah I think it's not the media now, but the drive, because I saw, myself, it burning a DVD, at 2x speed, flawlessly. It's strange. Is it possible to force the burner to write, maybe this will activate it enough, to possibly remove dust/grit.

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2018, 03:51:59 PM »
Well, if you try PatchBurn and it doesn’t work for you either and you’re not squeamish about disassembly…
there’s only four little screws holding the top on that drive and you don’t have to completely remove the
top to access the plastic laser “eye” lens. Just remove the screws and let the top “hinge” up in the
direction that the white paper triangle points.

A very clean “fresh” cotton Q-tip with just a fraction of a drop of glass cleaner to lightly remove dust,
smoke residue, etc. might remedy the situation. Sounds as if you might be replacing the drive anyway,
so a little effort beforehand might not be all that painful. With lasers (says a former Hell laser scanner
operator ::)) clean optics are essential. Dust, smoke, cat hair, etcetera can ruin your whole freakin’ day.

Pictured below is a similar model UJ-846-C drive and its’ horrible little eye.

Or, you could try one of those CD lens cleaner discs (those make me nervous).

Did it ever burn DVDs dependably in the past?
Has it ever been in a smoky environment?
Did it play the TINTIN DVD?
This Must Be The Place

Offline RossDarker

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2018, 04:18:18 PM »
Plays any DVD just fine. I believe it has burned in the past. I take ever so great care of this machine, never been in smoke. Not sure about the previous owner though. It's possible that I could clean out the drive, I'll have to think because I would rather have a super drive acting as a combo drive (pretty much what it is right now), than a completely dead drive. I'll try patchburn tomorrow.

Offline RossDarker

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2018, 11:51:08 AM »
Flashed D101 to the SuperDrive in the PowerBook, after attempting to dust out the drive. I'm able to burn those DVD-R's when selecting "2X" speed, not "1X",and not "Maximum Possible (2X)", but just simply "2X". All the other options give me the error, but 2X seems to work fine, and the burned discs are perfect without scratches and just work great.

Figured this out when I was testing MacTheRipper, and after creating an image of the outputted VIDEO_TS folder, it burned through disk utility only when selecting 2X.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 12:29:39 PM by RossDarker »