Author Topic: Anyone have iDVD version 1?  (Read 7868 times)

Offline RossDarker

• Gold Member
Anyone have iDVD version 1?
« on: May 26, 2018, 05:12:11 PM »
Seeing as the iDVD 1.0.1 updater ends with ".smi.bin", I'm guessing that the original iDVD works in Mac OS 9. Anyone got the disc it came on? Please make a toast image/device image if you do.

macStuff

Re: Anyone have iDVD version 1?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2018, 06:58:13 PM »
https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2003/01/07Apple-Introduces-iLife/

yes January 7th (or is it July 1st?) 2003
either way that puts in square in os9 supported territory
but this press release indicates that it only runs on Jaguar or higher.. Sorry! but no cigar!

Latest Versions of iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD & iTunes Work Together Seamlessly

MACWORLD EXPO, SAN FRANCISCO—January 7, 2003—Apple® today introduced iLife™, an integrated suite of Apple’s industry-leading digital lifestyle applications, featuring brand new versions of iPhoto™, iMovie™ and iDVD™, and the recently-released iTunes™ 3. iLife is the only integrated suite to include all of the four applications required for today’s “digital lifestyle”—digital music, photography, moviemaking and DVD creation—and is the first product to offer the benefits of seamlessly integrating them.
“iLife does for our digital lifestyle what Microsoft Office did for office productivity—all the applications you need are in one box, and they all work together,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “Apple is far ahead of its PC competitors in offering the best-in-class applications for digital music, photography, moviemaking and DVD creation, and now they all work together seamlessly.”
iLife includes incredible new versions of iPhoto, iMovie and iDVD with dozens of advanced new features, all seamlessly integrated to allow users to easily access their digital music, photos and movies from within each application. For example, users can now select music from their iTunes library to use in their iPhoto slideshows, movies or DVD menus from directly within iPhoto 2, iMovie 3 or iDVD 3—without interrupting the creative process by having to switch back and forth between applications.
iPhoto 2 now includes one-click photo Enhance, which can dramatically improve less-than-perfect pictures; a new Retouch tool for removing scratches, hair, lens dirt, etc.; photo archiving to a CD or DVD to preserve and share your iPhoto library; and the ability to email photos with one click using Mac® OS X Mail, Eudora, Entourage and AOL.
iMovie 3 features pro-quality special effects, including the new “Ken Burns” effect for adding emotionally powerful motion to still photos; powerful new audio editing tools and blockbuster sound effects from Skywalker Sound’s seven-time Academy Award winner Gary Rydstrom; pro-quality special video effects such as Aged Film, Letterbox and Earthquake; and the ability to add chapter markers to movies for DVD navigation and scene selection.
iDVD 3 includes 24 new pro-quality, Apple-designed, customizable DVD menu themes; automatically created DVD scene selection menus from iMovie chapter markers; and the ability to personalize iDVD 3 themes with personal photos, music and movies using iDVD Drop Zones.
Pricing & Availability
The iLife applications will be included with all new Macintosh® computers. On January 25, iPhoto 2 and iMovie 3 will be available for free download at www.apple.com. The iLife retail package with a single installer for all four applications will be available January 25 at the Apple Store (www.apple.com), Apple’s retail stores and through Apple Authorized Resellers for a suggested retail price of $49 (US). An iLife Up-To-Date upgrade package is available to all customers who purchase a new Mac system with SuperDrive™ (DVD-R/CD-RW) on or after January 7 that does not include iLife. The iLife Up-To-Date package is available for a shipping and handling fee of $19.95 (US). iTunes 3 is currently available for free download at www.apple.com.
iLife requires Mac OS X version 10.1.5 or later and a Macintosh with a PowerPC G3 or G4 processor; 256MB RAM is recommended. A built-in USB port is required for importing photos to iPhoto from a digital camera and a built-in FireWire® port is required to input digital video from a camcorder. DVD burning from iDVD requires a Macintosh equipped with an Apple SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW) and DVD archiving from iPhoto requires Mac OS X version 10.2 “Jaguar” or later.
Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple II and reinvented the personal computer in the 1980s with the Macintosh. Apple is committed to bringing the best personal computing experience to students, educators, creative professionals and consumers around the world through its innovative hardware, software and Internet offerings.
Press Contacts:
Alicia Awbrey
Apple
(408) 974-0922
[email protected]
Nicole Scott
Edelman
(650) 429-2764
[email protected]
Apple, the Apple logo, Mac, Mac OS , Macintosh, iLife, iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, iTunes, FireWire, Apple Store and SuperDrive are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Apple. Other company and product names may be trademarks of their respective owners.

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 08:42:48 PM »
DVD Studio Pro, a superior edition, works on 9 http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,2612.0.html
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline macarone

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2018, 10:19:37 PM »
Somebody else suggested an alternative, but if you want this for your own reasons, it's attached.

Offline RossDarker

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 01:53:29 AM »
Thanks guys, macarones attached SIT works in OS 9, Sys Reqs are Mac OS 9.1 and later and PowerMac G4 with SuperDrive.

macStuff

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2018, 07:50:01 PM »
sorry - looks like i read the bold text out of context, should slow down instead of speed reading!

also; this post from april 2017 claims that iLife was made FREEWARE at that time
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/04/iwork-and-ilife-apps-are-now-free-for-old-and-new-mac-and-ios-users/

just because the file ends with ".smi.bin" doesnt automatically mean it works with os9
alot of early osx stuff will have that filename extension aswell

its just another variant of the "apple disk image" formats
(ie: .img files are the same as .smi files, or rather .smi is a self mounting .img file)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Disk_Image

smi means self mounting image
bin means macbinary encoded

alot of "early osx" stuff will be in that format aswell, having predated the switch to .dmg
you can refer back to an earlier post made by myself here:
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=1223.0
where i was trying to make the reccomendation of using .img + .smi
because its possible, using .img/.smi to create a file that works and is perfectly self-extractable on both osx + os9

this was where my head was at.. which eventually led me to discover + acquired a copy of the "developer only" ASR software  (thanks to mike bombich, programmer of carbon copy cloner) that enabled diehard to create the "diehard instant daw"  at the time i was very excited to be able to provide that ability to this macos9lives community, even tho i was dealing with alot of bullshit attitude from many of its members from idiots like protoolsle5guy whom wouldnt have been an admin if i hadnt of reccommended that he be, based entirelty on his enthusiasm and not his (lacking) intelligence + maturity
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 04:44:00 PM by Protools5LEGuy »

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2018, 06:57:32 AM »
Jerry I cannot ban this prick.

Are you going to let him Insult me?

MacOS9Lives! is bleeding with this kind of users.

Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

macStuff

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2018, 07:52:07 AM »
someone paypal him some cash so he can buy some tissues  :'(