Author Topic: Looking for the right cheeze...  (Read 18041 times)

Offline Ninester

• Enthusiast Member
Looking for the right cheeze...
« on: April 16, 2018, 04:53:00 PM »
But, I just cannot download..ever :'(

Public File Busy

The public file you are trying to download is busy due to extreme demand. This page will automatically attempt to access the requested file in one minute, or you can try again now.

Premium users never have to wait in line to get any public file, so sign up and sign in now and you won't ever have to wait again!

Premium users are permitted 1,000 simultaneous file downloads on files they share, while our Basic users are only allowed 10 concurrent downloads on shared files.

Online DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: Looking for the right cheeze...
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 08:05:47 AM »
If any other member is having trouble downloading from our Adrive system, please post it here, I have not heard of any other issues but I want to log how many people are getting this or other errors

Offline RossDarker

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 08:59:58 AM »
I get this Public File Busy thing too, started recently, didn't use to happen.

Also from dosdude1 a bit back:
Thanks for posting this! I've actually been after finding a copy of this for YEARS, and have had no sign of ever finding it until now. Unfortunately, though, I am unable to download from the provided ADrive link, it keeps throwing a "Public File Busy" error. Is there any possibility of uploading to a different server or file hosting site? I'm really looking forward to flashing my GeForce 4Ti 4200. Thanks!

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 09:17:54 AM »
(Holds hand up, reluctantly.) Yes, same problem here.

After a few weeks of this, finally "signed up" for free 30-day Premium User status with ADrive. Now, when I get the "Public File Busy" message. I then sign-in to ADrive using my temporary Premium User info and get immediate access/download.

*Also, before the "File Busy" screen, there is a very quick screen noting "File overlimit, please turn on javascript." message.
This Must Be The Place

Online DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 06:49:23 PM »
After massive work of organizing file structures and downloads... looks like I am searching for another storage provider

Online DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 07:57:23 PM »
This is a real problem, Adrive is the only storage that works correctly via OS9, as all testing with MediaFire and other Online file storage systems, when setting "Folder Level" access with password protection,  unfortunately Mac OS 9, browsers do not show the downloads...

I will do a simple test with no password protection (removed), please tell me if anyone can access these files in an os 9 browser:
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/9ackaxawcwcr0/DAW_ASR_Images

Download the "readme.jpg" file since it is small or feel free to try a large file and let me know download speed

« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 10:21:20 AM by DieHard »

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 11:31:13 PM »
Doesn't work.

macStuff

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2018, 10:27:42 AM »
dont leave adrive
just get them to fix it
why give yourself a massive amount of work to do
when u can get someone else to fix it :)

Online DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2018, 10:37:40 AM »
dont leave adrive
just get them to fix it

I have emailed them today with all the details... we will see if they are willing to fix it, on their "tech support ticket" that you fill out the Mac OS X goes up to Yosemite as the highest OS, that tells me they are probably hurting and getting clobbered the competition, maybe they will go out of business and we will have to move on :(

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2018, 04:14:19 PM »
dont leave adrive
just get them to fix it

I have emailed them today with all the details... we will see if they are willing to fix it, on their "tech support ticket" that you fill out the Mac OS X goes up to Yosemite as the highest OS, that tells me they are probably hurting and getting clobbered the competition, maybe they will go out of business and we will have to move on :(

Classilla puts up a message on Mediafire that says the site uses "incompatible encryption algorithms"
If push comes to shove, we might be able to get Cameron to look into it - it may just be a missing cert.

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2018, 05:31:17 PM »
Knez offered to host everything. While it would definitely be more stable that way, we would have to rely on him and his team and servers which would be out of our control. I'm not sure it's a good idea to have ourselves at the mercy of another site. I wonder if we could get our own server somehow, cheap, without anyone giving us crap for what we want to host.

In a way I almost wish this were the old days and we'd only be able to trade via snail mail floppy diskettes and CDRs  :P

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2018, 05:42:57 PM »
if we used a private host we could allow only mac os 9 clients (such as HL 123.)

i see why i can become problematic, but what will definetly be nice is that it makes it really simple to make backups (== the one or other user might just want to download everything)

dont know why i just have to think of bearshare ^^
insert arbitrary signature here

Online DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2018, 07:34:53 PM »
Knez offered to host everything. While it would definitely be more stable that way, we would have to rely on him and his team and servers which would be out of our control. I'm not sure it's a good idea to have ourselves at the mercy of another site. I wonder if we could get our own server somehow, cheap, without anyone giving us crap for what we want to host.

In a way I almost wish this were the old days and we'd only be able to trade via snail mail floppy diskettes and CDRs  :P

My dear Syntho, we have been over this one about 1000 times, Knez has a big heart, but he is unable go give root FTP access to MacOS9lives, so I am unable to manage the directory tree, yes, he will mirror, but we won't have a dedicated server and I can't make changes, he has other partners, I believe, that limit his benevolence.

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2018, 08:01:09 PM »
If he's got a server and can host the entirety of the Macintosh Garden, plus offer to host other sites, why can't we get our own? I'm not sure what his setup is and how much it costs but maybe we can ask him and see what kind of a deal we can get for ourselves.

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2018, 10:51:08 PM »
My dear Syntho, we have been over this one about 1000 times, Knez has a big heart, but he is unable go give root FTP access to MacOS9lives, so I am unable to manage the directory tree, yes, he will mirror, but we won't have a dedicated server and I can't make changes, he has other partners, I believe, that limit his benevolence.

I can now, though. New server infrastructure. You could have a Mac OS 9 Lives virtual machine in our server cluster that you can manage however you'd like. Running Windows or Linux or whatever. Just contact me if it's of any interest.

If he's got a server and can host the entirety of the Macintosh Garden, plus offer to host other sites, why can't we get our own? I'm not sure what his setup is and how much it costs but maybe we can ask him and see what kind of a deal we can get for ourselves.

I don't want to go into detail on how the infrastructure looks, but generally speaking it's a couple of physical servers used to create a cluster for virtual machines. All in all I think we'v invested $1k USD in server hardware so far (got parts very cheaply) and running costs are around $200 USD per month. This is just out of our own pockets because we are passionate for old Mac software and the Mac community.

I don't know what running costs you would be looking at in the US, but the starting investment would be around the same number if you want something that can take the load.
Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2018, 07:50:56 PM »

dedicated servers start at USD 30 - but that is without traffic.
insert arbitrary signature here

Online DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2018, 10:21:52 PM »
Knez has been kind enough to to put this all in motion.  We will have root access to our own server !  It will be easy to bounce the directory structure from Adrive to Knezdrive via FTP, but relinking the boards is going to suck....again.  at any-rate, we will begin the transition as soon as Knez gives up the green light.

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2018, 11:30:28 PM »
Man, that Knez is one cool dude... handsome too!!! ;D ;D ;D

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
Squeakin'
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2018, 08:22:22 AM »
Man, that Knez is one cool dude... handsome too!!! ;D ;D ;D

Personally, I don’t care how attractive Knez or even DieHard, might actually be.
(Mr. Happy does look pretty good in those jeans, though.):o Breathing extended
existence of this site onwards and into the future is quite an important resource
for those either recently re-discovering… or those that have been here all along.

20 years from now, most of this hardware will be gone.
Yeah, that's what (many) keep saying, but I keep seeing 25 year old equipment
that looks new and passes all the original diagnostics; I think G4 hardware will
be around another 20 years or more... Others may build upon these success
stories, and I thank ALL who have helped get us this far.

And, as "yearly dues" may increase… maybe getting those donations
in before any such possible increase, might be beneficial…
especially as far as “cheeze” is concerned. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixrQcGQ6o-w

MacOS9Lives!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7rzSslub6U

And most definitely... Hats off to Knez and DieHard.
Here's to another 20 years! 8)

I'm lookin' at you Mr. Happy. :-*
This Must Be The Place

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2018, 09:12:39 AM »
Knez has been kind enough to to put this all in motion.  We will have root access to our own server !  It will be easy to bounce the directory structure from Adrive to Knezdrive via FTP, but relinking the boards is going to suck....again.  at any-rate, we will begin the transition as soon as Knez gives up the green light.

@DieHard & Knez: Thank You both.
... and thank you to all the people contributing in this forum...
We are making history - just a reminder  ;D -
Please don't PM about things that are not private.