Author Topic: Mac OS 9 booting on: Previously Unspported G4 Models (Summary "Current state")  (Read 27320 times)

Offline johnsmtih

• Newcomer
Anyone had any luck yet with Powerbook G4 Model Number A1107 yet?

(I brought one home from work for free a while ago when they were still in the process of selling the repair shop, I'm currently using classic mode in Tiger but it has some compatibility issues with a few games black screen in menus, crackling audio, ect)

Should I just keep surfing ebay for a G3 Ibook or a G4 mac mini that can run OS 9 and a kvm switch to add it to my existing setup on my small computer desk? I'm looking for an alternative to lugging out my G3 Imac from the closet and finding a cleared off table to set it up every-time I want to run a Mac OS 9 game (I'd still keep the Imac as it was the first computer I ever used back when I was 3, but it would be nice to have a much more convenient access to Mac OS 9).

Offline vaccinemedia

• Enthusiast Member
I have a Power Book 5,4 with 2GB RAM and an 80GB HD and I'm looking to run OS9 on this. So I have downloaded and burnt the ISO using Disk Utility on the Powerbook which is currently running Leopard. If I restart the machine while holding option, I can see the CD but then selecting it only brings me to a grey screen. The image was burnt to a CDRW disk - could this cause the issue? I'm also erasing the disk using Toast which I'm also going to use to re-write the image. I'm at a bit of a loss though as I don't seem to be seeing many people with issues and only some sort of success? if anyone has had the grey screen on CD boot and knows what may be up that would be awesome.

Offline vaccinemedia

• Enthusiast Member
I managed to get it working as per http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=4781.0 - I needed to edit the open firmware first as per the instructions as the top of the post. I thought that these were obsolete but as it turns out they're not ;) The CD was then bootable and I managed to initialise the drive and install using the System Restore utility and after moving the extensions as per the further instructions was able to boot into OS9 :)

Offline ssp3

• Platinum Member
FYI - since it has a 7447a processor, it will run at reduced speed. ;)

P.S. I made 2 versions of ROM files for my 5,4 (1.33 GHz model) that do not require fiddling with OF. One for "default" speed and the other for full speed. I can put them up, if needed, but it will take some time. Or, I'll make a separate thread.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2024, 05:55:31 AM by ssp3 »
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.