Author Topic: Nothing like celebrating the conclusion of a project.  (Read 5155 times)

Offline torvan

• Veteran Member
  • Old School
Nothing like celebrating the conclusion of a project.
« on: April 08, 2018, 01:09:30 PM »
My old MDD bit the dust with multiple issues--first the onboard sound failed, then both the 33 and 66 IDE ports failed, leaving me with just the 100. Then the fans failed, replaced those, and evidently did not cool the machine enough-leaving it cold as a body buried last century.

Saw this less powerful MDD on Craigslist and grabbed it (the old one was a dual 1.25. this is a single 1Ghz)--$20. Seller was less than a mile from me.

Spent the last two days getting 10.4.11 and 9.2.2 installed, then copying over all the music (107.52 GB) and video (344 GB) and documents (5 GB) onto my 1 TB SATA connected to a Sonnet Tempo SATA PCI card.

All this has taken two days (I have ADHD and it was not exactly top priority for me) but now I can celebrate all the apps are installed and the media added to iTunes (yeah, I know there are others, but iTunes works for me) on both 10.4.11 and 9.2.2 (two seperate partitions with the Media partition).

So I can now say "whew" and casually install Games when I play them. Now maybe I can move this to my office now, and get my dining room cleared. I know my husband Jason would love it if I did---then the ethernet cable is not stretched down the hallway and across the living room (the switch is in the office).  . .

The next project is taking my eMac and doing the same thing to it! But I will have to wait a couple days to do that--since Jason has the next two days off, I try to make him the center of my attention.
15 Macs (13 of them ranging from an SE to a MDD), 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 1 Hackintosh. Small house getting smaller with each Mac. . . . .  .Husband shakes his head but supports my habit.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
Re: Nothing like celebrating the conclusion of a project.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 03:17:28 PM »
this $20 Seller was less than a mile from me is what i call the perfect specs for a computer. :) but what did need two days to install MacOS?
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline torvan

• Veteran Member
  • Old School
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 09:34:05 PM »
Honestly? OS 9.2.2. and X, then in 9.2.2 unzipping and installing 54 applications, moving all the data (we are talking hundreds of gigabytes) across the network, then in X installing 16 more apps, then on OS9.2.2 installing 43 games from CD/DVD and 8 games in OSX.

Plus I have to eat, and work too.

Not to mention once I make dinner and Jason comes home, all work on it halts until the next day.
15 Macs (13 of them ranging from an SE to a MDD), 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 1 Hackintosh. Small house getting smaller with each Mac. . . . .  .Husband shakes his head but supports my habit.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 07:38:33 AM »
Plus I have to eat

like i always say ... "why dont  you eat on front of the screen like normal people?" ... :)

Offline dr bu

• Gold Member
  • inconsistent soul
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 02:28:28 PM »
Plus I have to eat

like i always say ... "why dont  you eat on front of the screen like normal people?" ... :)

right, IIO actually mistook my trombone for lunch about 2 years ago. this while garyN developed a rash.

me yesterday worked all day fixing notboot Pismo, supported by the Ti; came out sucessful  :-*

today i did not what i was supposed to do, instead failed at ripping a wonderful documentary about Coleman in '66 doing a soundtrack for a film: "Who's Crazy"..guess its copy protected.รท :-\
djupsinnig

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 03:09:24 PM »
"not now jason, daddy has to copy another 745 exabytes of ego shooters to his performa 5300"

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 03:10:58 PM »
i sucessfully got my third screen back today. 160 centimeters of custom sequencer sofware in my living room.

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 06:11:08 AM »
i sucessfully got my third screen back today. 160 centimeters of custom sequencer sofware in my living room.

WOW... you could have dinner for 4 in front of that thing!! ;D ;D

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 06:34:11 AM »
At that size, even I could see it. ::)
This Must Be The Place