Author Topic: FASTER OS 9 Boots  (Read 2701 times)

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
FASTER OS 9 Boots
« on: April 08, 2018, 10:43:05 AM »
For those that might not have already known. The following, from Sonnet’s website:

"The computer's standard startup process takes noticeably longer
after upgrading to any Mac OS 9.x system from Mac OS 8.6 or earlier.

This is not a malfunction and is not related in any way to Sonnet upgrade products; this is the result of an additional Mac OS 9.x startup process that did not occur during startup in earlier Mac OS versions. There is a new "hidden" Mac OS 9.x feature called Startup Memory Tests in the Memory Control Panel, which defaults to the "On" setting. This adds time during a startup or restart, as all of the RAM installed in the computer is checked.

This issue affects any machine running OS 9.x (OS X status is unknown as of this writing), with or without upgrades installed. The more RAM installed, the longer the test. (Note that a Mac upgraded with a Sonnet G3 or G4 processor card gets through this process much faster than a "stock" machine.)

Since this is not a malfunction, no solution is required. However, since RAM seldom fails after the first few days of regular use, you may turn this test off if a faster startup cycle is desired. To access this feature you must hold down the Command key and the Option key WHILE opening the Memory Control Panel. When the control panel opens, you will see a setting at the bottom of the control panel. Click the Startup Memory Tests' Off button, then close the Memory Control Panel.

*Be aware that from now on, when you start up or restart your computer, the Mac OS will NOT check your RAM. If in the future you suspect a memory problem and want to check your RAM, you will need to repeat this procedure and turn the Startup Memory Tests back on".
This Must Be The Place

macStuff

Re: FASTER OS 9 Boots
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 11:32:43 AM »
\To access this feature you must hold down the Command key and the Option key WHILE opening the Memory Control Panel. When the control panel opens, you will see a setting at the bottom of the control panel. Click the Startup Memory Tests' Off button, then close the Memory Control Panel.

*Be aware that from now on, when you start up or restart your computer, the Mac OS will NOT check your RAM. If in the future you suspect a memory problem and want to check your RAM, you will need to repeat this procedure and turn the Startup Memory Tests back on".

great post!  ;D  8)
need more universally-usefull posts such as this!

no wonder my boot times were less when i was using less memory
see im not crazy! i was always saying use less memory.. and might also the reason for my affinity of mac os8.6... lol

its the hugest pain in the ass when you are reconfiguring software + rebooting and it takes forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!! huge PITA.. ruins the fun.. so this is a GREAT TIP!

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
Re: FASTER OS 9 Boots
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 03:33:02 PM »
or option-click in the emtpy background of the already open panel, when i remember right.
insert arbitrary signature here