Author Topic: Optimized Acadias  (Read 6239 times)

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
Optimized Acadias
« on: April 07, 2018, 02:15:24 AM »
There are different Acadia files for different types of processors. The optimized Acadia files for OS9 are included in the usual package that we all downloaded, but if you're running OS8.6 or below you'll need the old set, which seems unavailable. The only thing I found are some optimized Acadias for Vision DSP 4.1.

There's got to be an installer CD for the Pro version (either 4.1 or 4.2) that has some of these, or maybe they're floating around somewhere. The one that comes stock in the 4.2.2 installer package I found is for a 603. I've got a 604ev CPU and would like the optimized 604 Acadia for it.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
Re: Optimized Acadias
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 04:05:18 PM »
Ask and ye shall receive…

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 08:11:42 PM »
This is a conundrum because it's not 1998 anymore. The Acadias you provided aren't working with 4.2.2. Do you know where these were taken from? I think the problem is that they're version-specific, at least 4.2.2 and 4.2.3 seem to be that way.

I'm not sure that optimized Acadias were released for 4.1, 4.2 and 4.2.3, at least SVP, but I'd like to think so because the DSP 4.1 installer CD that Vlad posted has some, and even though my own DSP 4.2 install CD is cracked, I can see that that one also has an optimized Acadias folder. If the DSP counterparts have it, the SVP versions probably do too, especially since SVP 4.5 has them. We've somehow got to track down some SVP 4.1 or 4.2 original install CDs or packages to be sure.

It's not that big of a deal since the standard 603 Acadia gets 4.2.2 launched, but having a 604 Acadia in there would be the icing on the cake for me. I do use Acadia from time to time when I don't want to boot up my TDM rig so I'd like to track it down. The Acadia system was introduced with 4.1.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 08:33:46 PM by Syntho »

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 10:48:53 PM »
?????

The four Acadias in the folder are, as far as I know, the only ones that exist. Let me clarify:

There are different Acadia files for different types of processors. The optimized Acadia files for OS9 are included in the usual package that we all downloaded, but if you're running OS8.6 or below you'll need the old set, which seems unavailable. The only thing I found are some optimized Acadias for Vision DSP 4.1.

There's got to be an installer CD for the Pro version (either 4.1 or 4.2) that has some of these, or maybe they're floating around somewhere. The one that comes stock in the 4.2.2 installer package I found is for a 603. I've got a 604ev CPU and would like the optimized 604 Acadia for it.

You have conflated three different things in the this post. proc type, app version and OS version.
*The Acadias are type SHLB…SHared LiBrary.
  They are not the Acadia audio system but rather data libraries to, as they say, optimize the Acadia system to run on different processors.
So, they're not app-specific but rather computer-specific.

*They were all released at the same time, ('98) except for the "new" 604, ('99) which is the one that I use on my MDD.
  That 604 is in the folder I attached. If they're "not working", maybe you missed something else (?) Define "not working".

*I've had those for so long I don't even remember where they came from. I DO know at least two of them work because I've used them for years.
  (Theoretically, you should be able to run any version on any PPC machine and the only obvious difference will be maximum performance as in max # of tracks, plug-ins, etc.)

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 11:17:08 PM »
I'm running a Powermac 9600 350mhz which is a 604ev CPU on OS8.6. If you're running OS9 you have access to the Acadias that were made for OS9 specifically. I believe I read recently that someone from Opcode created the OS9 Acadias after the Gibson ordeal went down and sent it to the people at the old Opcodeusers.com website. That very website says that if you're running 8.6 or below that you'll need a different set (which I'm on the hunt for) from the OS9 set.

By not working I mean that 4.2.3 gives me an error when I launch it and says it couldn't find something inside the Acadia file that it needed. 4.2.2 gives a similar error, but a little different. These errors are most likely because they're the OS9 type Acadias. I also tried putting in some of the DSP Acadias from a DSP CD but that doesn't work either. However, the reverse does seem to work: when I put any Acadia into a DSP folder and launch it, it works fine.

SVP 4.2.2 and 4.2.3 give slightly different errors as mentioned and those versions seem finicky about which Acadia you're using. DSP seems fine all for any combo. The only one I've gotten to work so far on my personal rig is the stock 603 that comes in the folder. Use the 4.2.3 pack I made and drop in the Acadias you sent me and you'll see.

I think it'd be worth investigating if there are other Acadias on the original SVP 4.1 and 4.2 install CDs, if we can find them.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2018, 04:17:06 PM »
Whew! This is serious archeology! After digging thru as much as I could find I see what you're saying re: OS9 - that Dave Oppenheim created the "optimized" Acadias after a "file read error" started popping up in installations running OS9. It's unknown now (at least to us) exactly what was causing the bug but the new SHLBs fixed it.

In case you haven't seen this: https://web.archive.org/web/20050403185233/http://www.fm-music.com:80/v/setup/acadia.html

What's really unknown is:
A)  If there's any real difference in performance between the original libs and the "optimized" ones besides fixing the File read error issue.
B)  If there's any real difference in performance between the original lib and the 603 that was packed with DSP and such, when run on a pre-OS9 machine.

I still think that, other than the read error possibility, you'll see a significant difference between the old and new Acadia Libs only if and when you're pushing the limitations of your computer while recording/processing digital audio tracks (not MIDI) and should you reach that threshold, you should probably certainly be running something bigger and faster that a 350Mhz 9600 on OS8 anyway…and

At the end of the day, it looks more and more like you just use whichever file works on your machine, because that's the only real criteria anyone can determine 20 years later…

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2018, 05:29:41 PM »

B)  If there's any real difference in performance between the original lib and the 603 that was packed with DSP and such, when run on a pre-OS9 machine.

I just checked the 4.1 DSP CD and there is a folder named Optimized Acadias from Aug 25th 1998. OS9 was released in October of 1999. My ticket would be to inspect some original SVP 4.1 and 4.2 install CDs. Hopefully someone will provide them eventually.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2018, 06:56:49 PM »
I just checked the 4.1 DSP CD and there is a folder named Optimized Acadias from Aug 25th 1998. OS9 was released in October of 1999. My ticket would be to inspect some original SVP 4.1 and 4.2 install CDs. Hopefully someone will provide them eventually.
Something is outta whack there - probably the folder is that old and got renamed. The optimized Acadias were written in response to the file read error that appeared after users updated to OS9.

One of these days I swear I'm going to start a GoFundMe to just pay Dave Oppenheim to sit down for a long Q & A about all of the various Opcode mysteries. Now that Henry has almost pushed Gibson completely off of the cliff maybe Dave will be willing to talk…

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2018, 07:01:40 PM »
Man I would love to pick his brain too. I wonder if Dave still has some code and other goodies that we don't know about from back then. It's probably illegal for him to let any of it out, which is ironic considering there is no money to be made on any of it anyway. Didn't we have an old Opcode employee post here at one time? Trying to find that post...

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2018, 08:03:01 PM »
There was an old link on Archive.org that had the 4.2 Acadias but the link no longer works. Someone in the Opcodeusers Yahoo Group has them too, but doesn't feel like uploading them. Ugggghhhh.... someone's gotta have these Acadias, or the SVP 4.2 install CD sitting somewhere.

Offline dr bu

• Gold Member
  • inconsistent soul
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2018, 08:50:17 PM »
These?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 09:04:33 PM by dr bu »
djupsinnig

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2018, 01:03:35 AM »
FINALLY!!!! Don't know where you got them but it works. Thanks :)