Author Topic: Vision Bugs Compendium  (Read 5144 times)

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
Vision Bugs Compendium
« on: April 04, 2018, 08:52:46 PM »
I'm posting this here for posterity and discussions.

https://web.archive.org/web/20060207120043/http://www.fm-music.com/v/

Graphic Window Bugs:

Option-Z (zoom to fit) only works horizontally. To see the contents of the entire window, Option-Click the minus circle located below the vertical scroll bar either before or after the Option-Z command.

Occasionally, a selected region will lose its highlight and appear deselected even though it's still selected.

In loop record, Instead of looping, the moving bar continues through the sequence, and the bouncing ball has disappeared.

Strip Chart Bugs:

When reopening a graphic window, the strip chart options are greyed out, although the last tool used is still active. The strip chart icon must be toggled for the options to work.

No zero line in the pitch bend strip chart.

Edits to individual instruments in midi multitracks affect all instruments.

Edits to audio multitracks with any tool wipes out data on other audio instruments in the same time range. This also occurs on a repeatable, but intermittent basis on single midi tracks. The suggestion is to make multiple controller edits in the tracks overview window (tov).

Cursor turns into the graphic window tool when dragged from the strip chart.

Pulse Edit Window:

Custom note names don't show up when the Note field is click-held.

Other Bugs:

Command-K (capture sequence) results in a sequence in which all controller data, except for velocity, is removed from the individual tracks. A multitrack is created which includes all the instrument names, but data from only a single controller from one instrument.

Command-G (quantize) works properly in the 4.5.1update.

Lock SMPTE Times doesn't work in the meter track window.

When locked markers are in the meter track, any rearranging of tracks, up or down, in the tracks overview window sets the sequence length to infinity (even when locked), and the sequence won't play until the length is reset.

Imported audio appears in unpredictable areas of the assigned track.

Set Audio Instrument now defaults to audio 1 instead of the last instrument used.

Exporting tracks as .smf or .mid files will cause Vision to hang if "play shift" is enabled and there is a negative value in the data box. Make sure that all tracks have play shift disabled before attempting export.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 03:25:14 AM by Syntho »

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
Re: Vision Bugs Compendium
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 12:21:22 AM »
Occasionally, a selected region will lose its highlight and appear deselected even though it's still selected.

I don't know if this is the same bug or not, but when I'm programming a midi drum track, quite a few measures down the road I notice that the midi region I'm working on becomes greyed out. Not really deselected, but greyed out. When I play it back I hear nothing. To get it to come to life again and have the colors pop through, I have to move the region to the side, then back into place.

Anyone else get this same thing?

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 08:18:41 AM »
You and Gary need to re-assemble the developer team and get the new "Studio Vision" version out... and while your at it... make a version for El capitan :)

I wish I gave SV more time back in the day... I was using Voyetra for DOS, but SV seems so damn cool, I am just too old to learn new tricks, hats off to you for sticking with SV

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 03:20:39 PM »

I don't know if this is the same bug or not, but when I'm programming a midi drum track, quite a few measures down the road I notice that the midi region I'm working on becomes greyed out. Not really deselected, but greyed out. When I play it back I hear nothing. To get it to come to life again and have the colors pop through, I have to move the region to the side, then back into place.

Anyone else get this same thing?
I think that's the same thing happening described in the "bug report". Whether it appears to be deselected or "grayed out" may depend (guessing here) on how you have colors selected / set up. The clue is that it seems to fix itself by scrolling the affected section offscreen and back, thereby forcing a redraw. it's the same bug - just looks different.

You and Gary need to re-assemble the developer team and get the new "Studio Vision" version out... and while your at it... make a version for El capitan :)

I wish I gave SV more time back in the day... I was using Voyetra for DOS, but SV seems so damn cool, I am just too old to learn new tricks, hats off to you for sticking with SV

SVP is just cool because it introduced a huge percentage of what is now standard in DAW design. The fact that new "innovative features" keep appearing that, when you boil them down, are just rehashes of stuff originally conceived at Opcode is a testimony to how brilliant Oppenheimer and Co. were back then.
Of course there are truly new features and capabilities that appear in modern DAW software, but most of them are made possible by the relatively gigantic CPU power available now. For example: All things Melodyne, Instant harmony processors, convolution reverbs and spatial generators etc. and having truckloads of simultaneously-running VSTs and VSTI's all rely on very fast number-crunching. The basic DAW design however, is pretty much the same.

A sad fact of contemporary music software is that so much of it's new "latest and greatest" features are all aimed at editing, reordering, revising and otherwise repairing stupid mistakes by musicians of limited ability that should never be made in the first place. The concept of putting a guitarist in a room, recording 1 bar of a rhythm track, then copying & pasting it across an entire verse, or two, or three, is something I just cannot get my head around anymore than taking the latest, cute plastic-enhanced tone-deaf singer and comping her shit syllable by syllable into a Grammy award.

We are really not far from the appearance of a slide button labeled "Talent"…

Lastly, if we somehow "got the band back together" and back to work on SVP, there wouldn't be anyone left at Avid to keep putting out unnecessary "new versions" of PoorTools…then what would the entire industry do for aggravation?

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 07:16:39 PM »
I'd drop Logic Pro X if SVP came out for OSX. I think that if a new version did come out though it just wouldn't be like the old days. SVP was definitely built with hardware in mind. VSTfx and especially VSTis are especially yuck to me (just my opinion). It's nearly entirely OTB for me, and I plan to keep it that way until I die. Until then, it's SVP and oldschool Pro Tools for me  -afro-

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 08:39:03 AM »
Lastly, if we somehow "got the band back together" and back to work on SVP, there wouldn't be anyone left at Avid to keep putting out unnecessary "new versions" of PoorTools…then what would the entire industry do for aggravation?
Best quote of 2018 :) LMAO

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2018, 06:27:01 PM »
It's funny that PT5 got it just right in 1998, but here we are 20 years later...

Offline refinery

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2018, 04:39:56 PM »
i would just about sell my soul for a modern version of SVP.
got my mind on my scsi and my scsi on my mind

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2018, 11:50:59 PM »
i would just about sell my soul for a modern version of SVP.

I'll raise you one: have the original developers come back and 'finish' SVP, loading it up with everything that's missing (sample-accurate sync, work out all the bugs discussed here, etc). A new version of SVP for modern operating systems is possible. One for OS9 is not  :(