Author Topic: TiBook with > 128GB drives? Conflicting info given  (Read 6981 times)

Offline MacNewbie

• Valued Member
TiBook with > 128GB drives? Conflicting info given
« on: April 04, 2018, 02:58:23 PM »
Usually, in PC-land, if you have an ATA-66 (non-SATA, EIDE or "parallel" ATA) controller you shouldn't expect to be able to "see" greater than 128GB of a drive, even if the drive is much larger, say a 500GB drive.

However, an ancient Apple tech note seems to indicate that you need only make sure that each *volume* on a > 128GB is below a certain size, and then you will be able to see and use the whole disk; it will just be sliced into multiple volumes.

I have a TiBook that loaded the "Macos9Lives" image just fine and I am now wondering if I should replace the old, slow hard drive with either an SSD or a spinning drive with greater capacity.  Probably I can get by with 128GB but if I can have more space for photos without having a drive hanging off it, that would be awesome...

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
Re: TiBook with > 128GB drives? Conflicting info given
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 04:15:57 PM »
i also believe that tibooks below 800Mhz do not have 48 bit controllers. the last twwo models with ata 100 controler eventually. but there are even desktops of that era which dont support it.) the net has no info about it...
insert arbitrary signature here

macStuff

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 07:04:46 AM »
yes by all means upgrade your hard drive

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 11:58:14 AM »
i also believe that tibooks below 800Mhz do not have 48 bit controllers. the last twwo models with ata 100 controler eventually. but there are even desktops of that era which dont support it.) the net has no info about it...

From Macos9lives.com main page...
Also, Titanium PowerBooks of 800, 867 and 1 Ghz will work nicely. As far as the Mac OS revision, you will be stuck with Mac OS 9.2.2 only, as it contains Apple Drive Setup V2.1 that will be needed to format and partition drives greater than 128GB. We also recommend that you keep your partitions to sizes of 190GB or less or OS 9 will not boot and Norton Speed Disk V6.03 will not be able to defrag it. To clarify, if you are putting a 500GB in you Mac, simply break it into 3 partitions of 120GB for the OS, 190GB, and 190GB (format all volumes Mac OS Extended).

Offline reader50

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 12:33:14 PM »
Is the 190GB rule a decimal value, or traditional binary?

190*1000^3 -or- 190*1024^3

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 02:01:03 PM »
so my guess was about right but not exact. i suppose that only the DVI Ti 800 supports it?
insert arbitrary signature here

macStuff

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 02:05:13 PM »
not really an (exact) rule, more of a guideline

there was a thread where i was disputing that number to diehard i think wasnt there? :D haha

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2018, 08:09:00 PM »
not really an (exact) rule, more of a guideline

Yes... 100%... a Guideline, with that being said, I never saw a 667 DVI that could handle large drives, but I may not be 100% accurate on that as most 667 are the non-DVI model, if the 667 DVI is the same logic board as the 800,867, and 1 Ghz... then in theory, should also be ok... think I came up with the "800 or better" guideline to avoid confusion for those scouting eBay

Offline MacNewbie

• Valued Member
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2018, 01:13:42 AM »
So my plan is to buy a PATA to m2 SSD adapter and then get a 500GB or so drive and partition accordingly.  I also have a PBG4 12" (PowerBook 6,8) and I am watching the recent thread on that also...

Offline madalynmcworm

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2018, 02:36:45 PM »
I have two powerbook Ti's. A DVI and a Gigabit ethernet. Both 667mhz. I posted a thread on my experience with a msata and pata adapter and the msata being ~240GB along with the steps to get it to work.

Offline MacNewbie

• Valued Member
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2018, 02:52:19 PM »
I have two powerbook Ti's. A DVI and a Gigabit ethernet. Both 667mhz. I posted a thread on my experience with a msata and pata adapter and the msata being ~240GB along with the steps to get it to work.

I just ordered the exact same setup you described from Amazon.  Where is the version of Drive Setup you recommend I use?  Do I install normally and then run Drive Setup later to get to the rest of the drive?

Offline madalynmcworm

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2018, 03:21:40 PM »
I used either the mactron rescue or the universal 9.2.2 installer, mounted the install image by double clicking it (but not running the installer), navigated to setup disk in the mounted disk on the desktop, and used that, and it saw the full drive. The default did not see it when it came up as a larger disk.

Essentially I booted from CD -> Ignored Setup Disk that popped up -> Doubled clicked CD Icon -> Double clicked "Installer.img" or whatever it is called -> Doubled clicked the icon for that on the desktop -> Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Setup -> golden.

(this is all from memory, I can poke again later tonight after dinner)

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2018, 08:03:41 PM »
I have two powerbook Ti's. A DVI and a Gigabit ethernet. Both 667mhz. I posted a thread on my experience with a msata and pata adapter and the msata being ~240GB

Apple always does this type of crap... so now it is confirmed the "non-DVI" 667 must have 2 different Logic boards, please indicate (if you ever take it apart or can query it via software) what version you have... I am guessing for the 667 model, it's going to be a user case by case basis :(

Offline madalynmcworm

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2018, 03:54:46 AM »
Diehard, I can take it apart later this weekend and take photos.

I made a backup of the drive yesterday as I'm in the process of rebuilding my machines to better suit my needs, so I can nuke it and start over as well, as a test.

I will also test with it partitioned and loaded with HDST as a default, as well.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2018, 11:35:03 AM »

Well that is not necessary, but if you have it open, that would be great to see and I will compare, I have various models here, about 6 units, all DVI.  So the one I am interested in seeing is the non-DVI 667 that accepts large drives

I will also test with it partitioned and loaded with HDST as a default, as well.

Hmmm, please let me know if the unit "sees" past the 128GB with the stock apple OS 9 drive setup, all bets are off with HDTS since it loads a software overlay to "see" large drives that is NOT the same thing as real 48-bit LBA compliant.  Be very aware, I recommend against HDTS, because if you have to do a data recovery or other function by hooking the drive to another mac (where it is NOT the boot drive) HDTS make the drive unmountable

Offline madalynmcworm

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2018, 06:04:35 PM »

Well that is not necessary, but if you have it open, that would be great to see and I will compare, I have various models here, about 6 units, all DVI.  So the one I am interested in seeing is the non-DVI 667 that accepts large drives

Hmmm, please let me know if the unit "sees" past the 128GB with the stock apple OS 9 drive setup, all bets are off with HDTS since it loads a software overlay to "see" large drives that is NOT the same thing as real 48-bit LBA compliant.  Be very aware, I recommend against HDTS, because if you have to do a data recovery or other function by hooking the drive to another mac (where it is NOT the boot drive) HDTS make the drive unmountable

Interesting. I'll need to take a look into that, as I have a HDST formatted external drive.

Offline madalynmcworm

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2018, 03:45:39 PM »
Where am I looking on the board for the identifier you want?

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2018, 11:03:34 PM »

Should be visible next to RAM socket on MB itself... 820-1431-A, 820-1431-05. or something similar

Offline madalynmcworm

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2018, 03:47:31 AM »

Should be visible next to RAM socket on MB itself... 820-1431-A, 820-1431-05. or something similar

I’ve had the bottom off three times (cable select defaulted to ata1) on the new lne and twice on the old one with the 250GB drive. No markings.
I popped the keyboard off, no markings like that that I can see either :/

MacNewbie, results?

Offline MacNewbie

• Valued Member
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2018, 11:20:09 AM »

I’ve had the bottom off three times (cable select defaulted to ata1) on the new lne and twice on the old one with the 250GB drive. No markings.
I popped the keyboard off, no markings like that that I can see either :/

MacNewbie, results?

I am traveling (but brought the sled and mSATA drive with me). As soon as I am able to crack the case and put in the drive, I will post my results.