Author Topic: Mac Mini G4 pixel clock limited to 135Mhz  (Read 19989 times)

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
Re: Mac Mini G4 pixel clock limited to 135Mhz
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2018, 02:03:34 PM »
dont forget to provide enough wireless voltage pls :D
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline RossDarker

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2018, 01:28:48 AM »
I attached a little hub with 4 ports that does not need external power, disks work great in the hub, and the Cinema Displays has got two powered 2 ports. Obviously not internal, but just quality still. Also FW 400 Hub. Which works great.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 05:34:18 AM by RossDarker »

macStuff

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2018, 04:34:48 AM »
*sigh*

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2018, 05:43:46 AM »
I attached a little hub with 4 ports that does not need external power, disks work great in the hub

then you are lucky. most disks i have dont even work well when connected directly to the minis (core2duo). sometimes the operation interrupts, sometimes they dont work at all right after startup. i have already added a powered hub to my download mini for that reason. firewire hub, yes, does the job great, but is a very expensive solution.

best option seems to be to replace the optical drive with a second HD and use the line out for now.

Online DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2018, 08:43:17 PM »
I attached a little hub with 4 ports that does not need external power, disks work great in the hub, and the Cinema Displays has got two powered 2 ports. Obviously not internal, but just quality still. Also FW 400 Hub. Which works great.

Just an FYI, I have seen many Mac Mini and Mac book pros die from drawing too much USB power.  people do all sorts of stupid things like plug (2) phones in a Mac book pro and use it an a phone charging station when they can buy a wall adapter for $2 and blow up a $1600 unit.

Diehard rule of thumb... NEVER, EVER, use un-powered hubs for anything that draws more amps then a flash drive, especially external hard drives or optical drives

Offline RossDarker

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2018, 01:24:59 AM »
Thanks. I mainly use the unpowered hub for XSKey and SD Card USB reader thing and then just flash drives, and sometimes Bluetooth dongle. It was just once I tried to get Rhapsody 5.6 (X Server 1.2v3) on my TiBook for fun, but to install it insisted I boot from the CD. I backed up the HD by putting TiBook in disk mode, have a mac mini booted off a leopard disk, then connect my USB disk to the hub on the Mac mini. (I cannot remember why I didn't just backup to my FW disk). Anyway after all of that and using identity tool and preparing the internal (after a backup) the rhapsody CD got to a loading screen in colour, then after 3 seconds just shut down. I just then decided to clear the stuff to make the identity back to the TiBook and then restore from the USB disk connect to hub on the mini, which then over FW to the TiBook in disk mode, (that was because mini has 2.0 usb). But you know probably won't need to do that again, and won't if there are risks power related.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2018, 06:23:22 AM »
when i am not mistaken, usb has like 100 - 500 milliampere at 5 volts. that means that a harddisk may consume a maximum of 2,5 watts at spinup. that is why many usb cases are coming with a dual usb cable already.

i have yet to see more than one harddisk at a time running at an mac mini via unpowered hub.

my cheapo usb to sata cases (add +1 watt for the LED!) often dont even work on my quicksilver and i get the beep beep usb warning signal when starting up with such a disk connected.

regarding the phone story, i believe that people who do this think they are clever - because loading the cellphone from a computer port instead of a charger is slower, and that is better for the battery in the phone. they dont care about their laptops as much as for their cellphones as it seems. :)

Offline RossDarker

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2018, 06:40:30 AM »
My plug sockets at the wall have dual-USB charging ports as well as plug sockets. Great for phone charging.

Offline whoisthisguy

• Enthusiast Member
  • Nyaaa
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2019, 04:45:33 AM »
Hi all! Is there any way to change vertical frequency under OS 9? I have out of range every time after the Mac OS 9.2.2 boot screen appears. If I delete ATI Monitor extension I can boot but 1280x720 maximum resolution (I have 27 Dell 2560x1440 monitor). If I delete all the ATI Extensions I can boot 1920x1080@60hz but 256 colors with no acceleration. Please help ) FYI I'm using latest Mini G4 1.5GHz, Airport+Bluetooth Combo Card and ATI Radeon 9200 64mb.
=^__^=

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2019, 05:16:16 AM »
doesnt a monitor does this all on its own?

there is a trick how you get the boot screen to use the same resolution as saved last time in the PRAM (i.e. same as desktop) but i forgot.

Offline darthnVader

• Platinum Member
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2022, 04:27:03 AM »
I ran across some Linux documentation that says the Mini G4 has both an internal( R9200 ) TMDS and an External TDMS( Likely Silicone Image chip ). I'm not sure if this means that some Minis shipped with one( internal/external ) while other Minis shipped with the other, or some or all shipped with both. Really if you have a Mini that shipped with the external then it still has the one in the R9200 GPU core( IC ).

So now I'm wondering what the issue is with the 135Mhz pixel clock limit, and if we can't find a way to get around it by activating the other TMDS?

Option "MacModel" "string"
Used to specify Mac models for connector tables and quirks. If you have a PowerBook or Mini with DVI that does not work properly, try the alternate options as Apple does not seem to provide a good way of knowing whether they use internal or external TMDS for DVI. Only valid on PowerPC. On Linux, the driver will attempt to detect the MacModel automatically.
ibook −− ibooks
powerbook-external −− Powerbooks with external DVI
powerbook-internal −− Powerbooks with integrated DVI
powerbook-vga −− Powerbooks with VGA rather than DVI
mini-external −− Mac Mini with external DVI
mini-internal −− Mac Mini with integrated DVI
imac-g5-isight −− iMac G5 iSight
emac −− eMac G4
The default value is undefined.

https://www.x.org/releases/current/doc/man/man4/radeon.4.xhtml