Classic Mac Hardware (Troubleshooting, Upgrading, & Modifying) > Video Cards, Monitors, & Displays

Mac Mini G4 pixel clock limited to 135Mhz

<< < (2/7) > >>

RossDarker:

--- Quote from: macStuff on April 01, 2018, 08:51:21 AM ---id like to see someone put up a video on youtube of a mini running os9!
someone should do that and then put a link to this site on it..

--- End quote ---

Here you go: https://youtu.be/t9G5T0ZaWok

darthnVader:

--- Quote from: macStuff on April 01, 2018, 08:51:21 AM ---
--- Quote from: DieHard on March 31, 2018, 09:25:07 PM ---Played with the Mini all day today, it is a total beast under OS 9 and is super quiet !  The video at 1280 X 1024 is ROCK solid.  I will be moving it to the home lab and connecting it to a 25" via DVI... I will report back

--- End quote ---

so whats the benefit of running os9 on a mini?
what connections does it have on the back?
ethernet / dvi / usb2.0 / firewire ?

id like to see someone put up a video on youtube of a mini running os9!
thats the kind of video that will end up going viral
think strategically and use it to our advantage to promote

--- Quote ---Display Support:   Single Display   Resolution Support:   1920x1200
Details:   The DVI video output supports digital resolutions up to 1920x1200. Apple also reports that it supports the "20-inch Apple Cinema display and 23-inch Apple Cinema HD display; supports coherent digital displays up to 154MHz; supports non-coherent digital displays up to 135MHz." VGA output (using the provided adapter) supports analog resolutions as high as 1920x1080. S-Video and composite video (to connect to a projector or TV) requires the Apple DVI to Video adapter (sold separately).
--- End quote ---

what does this mean? coherent vs non-coherent?
does this mean darths monitor is incoherent?? :D

--- End quote ---

Coherent vs non-coherent is some obscure thing to do with the TMDS transmitter( on the GPU ) and the TMDS receiver in the display. The 9200 either has an issue with a weak TMDS signal with non-coherent receivers( Displays ). Or Apple crippled it, tho I doubt that.

The trouble is, no manufacturer really list that in the specs, and I doubt you'd get anyone in tech support to know what you were talking about if you did call them.

So it's really a crap shoot as to what brand and make of display will work correctly at the native res of the LCD/LED. My 1080p HDTV works fine with the Mini @720p, as the pixel clock is not over 135Mhz at that resolution.   

IIO:
(1680*1050) / 1764000 == 82.9081

does the monitor only allow 85 Hz at that resolution? like  CRT?

1920*1200*59.9, which is what my samsungs do, would exactly fit to those magic 135 MHz.

DieHard:

--- Quote from: RossDarker on April 01, 2018, 12:19:33 PM ---
--- Quote from: macStuff on April 01, 2018, 08:51:21 AM ---id like to see someone put up a video on youtube of a mini running os9!

--- End quote ---

Here you go: https://youtu.be/t9G5T0ZaWok

--- End quote ---

ROSS!!!!!!  That is so damn cool on Youtube... people will think your hiding Cube off-screen :)  Can't wait to see all the haters and Mac Experts scratching their heads for a while

DieHard:

--- Quote ---so whats the benefit of running os9 on a mini?
what connections does it have on the back?
ethernet / dvi / usb2.0 / firewire ?
--- End quote ---

OK, so the "cool-quiet" thing is I was looking for a "Quiet" Machine to run my legacy projects... yes, a G4 Cube is cool, but slow, add a CPU upgrade and you now add noise with a fan and a huge price ticket, Cubes with Fast upgrades bring $350 or more, even now.

So... now the "cool-cheap"... the Mini fits under my Monitor and is only 15 to 20% slower than my MDD which gives me a headache at times, I bought 2 on ebay for $76 and I got the "Diehard" luck of getting 250GB Hard drives in them; which is pretty good considering they are 40 pin PATA notebook hard drives.

I am now in the final stage... testing... If I can get decent playback on my 32 Bit floating-point VST 5 files via a USB interface (I have several M-Audio Transit)
https://www.amazon.com/M-AUDIO-Transit-Resolution-Mobile-Upgrade/dp/B0000CDHP5

So I can playpack old stems form old recordings and transfer Optical stuff from my DAT (Panasonic SV-3700).  If the Mini works out, I will Never go back; I use RAIDED OWC Dual Minis to store this site and all libraries), So I just need to test it all :)

My first full day with the Mini was like running a "cloud-based" Mac OS 9, silent, very perky, and I forgot where the actual unit was.  I am so psyched becuase the Mini is a total POS under X, I used to give them to people for their young kids to play with, I laughed at them, I am NOT laughing now, this baby was made for OS 9... who knew

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version