Author Topic: Play DVD Problem: PowerBook G3 Lombard / Bronze Keyboard 400MHz  (Read 2763 times)

Offline Lombard

I’m having trouble playing DVD’s on my Powerbook G3.  Here’s the Powerbook specifications:

Powerbook G3 Lombard / Bronze keyboard

400MHz processor
128GB Hard Drive
512MB RAM
OS X 10.4.11
OS 9.2.2
DVD Drive

From doing a little research I'm pretty certain of the following:

A. I should be able to watch DVD's on a Powerbook G3 Lombard / Bronze keyboard with a 400MHZ processor.

B. In order to watch DVD's I need to boot directly into OS 9.

This is because the 400MHz Lombard has an MPEG-2 decoder built into the hardware for playing DVDs.  This hardware based MPEG-2 decoder can not be accessed by OS X.

C.  While booted directly into OS 9.2.2 and using Apple DVD player 2.7 I get the following error message:

Apple DVD Player does not support the video card or settings used for the main screen.
To view this DVD disc, you may need to reduce your monitor's resolution.  For more information
see the Apple DVD Player Read Me. (307)

QUESTION: Does anyone know how I can watch DVD's on my Powerbook G3 Lombard? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 08:47:55 AM by DieHard »

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
Re: Play DVD Problem: PowerBook G3 Lombard / Bronze Keyboard 400MHz
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 08:48:35 AM »
Did you change your monitor's resolution?
If so and still having problems, let me know.
I'll fire up a Lombard.

Mine had OS9 & OS X installed on a single
"partition" and wouldn't play a DVD at all.
Wiped drive and installed only OS9 and then
no problems playing DVDs.
This Must Be The Place

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 09:14:17 AM »
Same Lombard except with less RAM (128mb)
and no OSX but, Apple DVD Player Version 1.3.

See following for more info:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/696277
This Must Be The Place

Offline Lombard

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 08:11:27 AM »
SOLVED

I decided to erase the partition I had OS 9.2.2 on and reinstall the operating system.  I only had the OS and one application installed on this partition so doing this wasn’t a big deal.  Post reinstallation of the OS and Apple DVD Player 1.3 I'm happy to report I can now watch DVD’s on my Lombard!

Here’s what I did differently that I think solved the problem:  I had initially installed MAC OS 9.2.2 Universal (2013 edition) which I had downloaded from the Macintosh Repository.  I noticed in the notes about this edition of OS 9.2.2 it stated:

“If you want a way more successful Mac OS 9.2.2 boot CD, try the Mac OS 9.2.2 universal boot CD (2002 edition).”

That got me to wondering if the 2013 edition was somehow the problem?  Therefore, for my second installation I used MAC OS 9.2.2 Universal (2002 edition) which I also downloaded from the Macintosh Repository.  This version of the OS worked like a charm!  I’m watching DVD’s just fine now. (When booted directly into OS 9.2.2)

Thanks for everyones input, much appreciated!  ;D

Offline Lombard

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 08:13:15 AM »
I should've said "Thanks for your input Fury deBongo!"  ;)