Author Topic: Modified Merlin ATI drivers for eMac G4 Radeon 9200 ( OS 9 ).  (Read 7150 times)

Offline darthnVader

• Platinum Member
Here are a set of modified drivers for the ATY,Merlin 9200 in the eMac( 5962 Device ID ).

The Device ID is the same as the Mac Mini, but the 'NDRV' is untested, as I don't have an eMac.

Let us know how they work?

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
Re: Modified Merlin ATI drivers for eMac G4 Radeon 9200 ( OS 9 ).
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 01:10:14 PM »

I have tested this drivers in to an (unsupported) eMac 1.25 with Mac Os 9.2.
2D acceleration works well. I haven't found any issues in the first tests.
3D acceleration isn't working. Only software renders work wen they are abaliable (Tomb Raider II) and or work very slow (Cro-Mag Rally, Tux Racer 1.5 fps). GL Quake and StarWars Racer refuses to start.
I'll will continue to make more test with a fresh install of Mac Os 9 to avoid some file corrupted or missing in my HD...

Thank you very much! Awesome Work! ;D
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline darthnVader

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 01:15:38 PM »

I have tested this drivers in to an (unsupported) eMac 1.25 with Mac Os 9.2.
2D acceleration works well. I haven't found any issues in the first tests.
3D acceleration isn't working. Only software renders work wen they are abaliable (Tomb Raider II) and or work very slow (Cro-Mag Rally, Tux Racer 1.5 fps). GL Quake and StarWars Racer refuses to start.
I'll will continue to make more test with a fresh install of Mac Os 9 to avoid some file corrupted or missing in my HD...

Thank you very much! Awesome Work! ;D

Odd, not sure the issue.

Does the 'NDRV' work, are you able to change the screen res?

Also, make sure you didn't install the Radeon 9200 3D Driver I posted in the iBook thread, as it's really the 8500 driver and the two will conflict making 3D not work. Best to uninstall all ATI drivers, before installing these.

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 01:57:35 PM »
Solved!

QuickDraw 3D RAVE file was missing in to my system folder as I'd suspected...

Really Awesome Work!  ;D

« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 02:08:45 PM by MacTron »

Offline darthnVader

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 04:58:41 PM »
Solved!

QuickDraw 3D RAVE file was missing in to my system folder as I'd suspected...

Really Awesome Work!  ;D

Glad to help MacTron, at least makes me feel I'm doing my part to get OS 9 running as well as it can on these old OS X only systems.

Now if we could just get a sound guru to figure out the built-in sound devices on these machines.

Tho I have the iBook that sound works on, but the internal Mic will freeze the system if you try and check the line level. I'll have to look at the sound properties for this iBook and see why it works, and line out works on the Mini.

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 02:33:54 PM »

Now if we could just get a sound guru to figure out the built-in sound devices on these machines.
Yes it will be great!  :)

Tho I have the iBook that sound works on, but the internal Mic will freeze the system if you try and check the line level. I'll have to look at the sound properties for this iBook and see why it works, and line out works on the Mini.

BTW: In the unsupported eMac all sound inputs and outputs works as expected, Line, CD and Mic IN, Headphones and integrated Loudspeakers.

Offline MacOS Plus

• Gold Member
  • The 9serve Lives!
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 07:43:19 PM »
Hey, MacTron, could you post the OF properties of the sound device on that eMac?  I'd like to start doing more comparisons between the working and non/partly working sound devices to see if I can find some common themes/patterns.

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 11:08:25 AM »
Hey, MacTron, could you post the OF properties of the sound device on that eMac?  I'd like to start doing more comparisons between the working and non/partly working sound devices to see if I can find some common themes/patterns.
OF properties of the sound device on that eMac:
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=4325.msg29910#msg29910

macStuff

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2018, 04:20:42 PM »
has this sound issue been fixed now?

Offline whoisthisguy

• Enthusiast Member
  • Nyaaa
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2019, 04:50:27 AM »
Hello! How did you midify the drivers? Did you have link to the guidelines of doing this somewhere? Thanks!
=^__^=

Online DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2019, 08:21:57 AM »
Hello! How did you midify the drivers? Did you have link to the guidelines of doing this somewhere? Thanks!

Search for the posts from "darthnVader" who can manipulate the force when it comes to video drivers... there is no guide and it's like asking,
"wow, that was pretty cool how you can levitate while disappearing, Chris Angel, do you have any suggestions for me or a guide"

Offline whoisthisguy

• Enthusiast Member
  • Nyaaa
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2019, 12:26:13 PM »
there is no guide and it's like asking
Why not? There is a guides to modify kexts and Roms. Why OS9 Extensions should be a secret? I think sharing experience with the community - is the best thing we can do.
----
Please anybody help! I have out of range on resoutions higher than 1280x720 on my Mini G4 with V8 drivers. If i delete ati extensions i can boot 1920x1080@60 256 colours with no acceleration. Also I have 1920x1080@60 resolution in Tiger and Leopard, but not in Panther. In Panther I have the same out of range problem as in the OS9. For Panther, Jaguar I found the solution - simply put ATINDRV kext from tiger to the extension and after that I have 1920x1080@60 with accell on jaguar and panther with no problems. I hope maybe there is some workaround for OS9?
=^__^=

macStuff

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2019, 04:40:37 PM »
theres no guide probably  because everyone is always trying to tackle their own personal life issues  and hasnt had the foresight / vision to collect the info + organize it in such a way

Offline darthnVader

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2019, 04:56:42 AM »

I think I outlined it in the Mini thread.

Offline whoisthisguy

• Enthusiast Member
  • Nyaaa
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2019, 03:47:09 AM »
I think I outlined it in the Mini thread.

Hi! Could you please provide a link here? Or maybe the keywords I could use to search the boards. I'm no luck with "modify ati drivers". Only found already modified for different cards. Thanks!
=^__^=