Author Topic: The PCI / USB1 / FW400 / ATA100 issues  (Read 3549 times)

Offline Petros90

• Enthusiast Member
The PCI / USB1 / FW400 / ATA100 issues
« on: March 19, 2018, 04:09:41 PM »
I woke up this morning, and I'm going quietly mad
I got the G3 isolated and incompatible blues

Just a few snapshots from my epic fail on trying to sort an external drive and upgrade the IDE drive on the G3
- accompanied by a quiet scream

Internal/external sATA - The SeriTek/1eVE2+2 is no longer available new, like most of the desirable upgrades (eg 1GHz CPU) not readily available secondhand either. I suppose it's like owning a desirable residence, once you have one, you keep it or sell it via word of mouth.

Sonnet don't list any PCI stuff. PCI is more or less dead as an expandability choice unless you want an Audiophile 2496, still loads about 2/h.

FireWire - Star Tech don't list any FW/USB enclosures. I'm returning the Freecom Quattro (eSATA, Firewire 400 and 800, USB2 dock) as the FW port is FUBB. There's a Lindy enclosure on Amazon, it has one review - it didn't work.

I'm seriously considering this
https://www.eastwoodsoundandvision.com/lacie-rugged-triple-usb-3-0-hard-drive-2tb?gclid=Cj0KCQjwv73VBRCdARIsAOnG8u3jV77eUha_MNeZ5CM-ePKvZkT1UoDMWyVxNIWw1p1RD7wgQdixnbwaAlufEALw_wcB
-it costs the same as what I lashed out on the dock and SSD, but without the hass.
THis is the only other option
http://cpc.farnell.com/freecom/56068/drive-3-5-quattro-3-0-3tb-freecom/dp/CS23565?CMP=KNC-GUK-CPC-GEN-SHOPPING-FREECOM-CS23565&mckv=s0p1G7zPl_dc|pcrid|224690506549|kword||match||plid||pid|CS23565|&gclid=Cj0KCQjwv73VBRCdARIsAOnG8u3g3P9jXD-VyJaH9syX1BYgAz2i6AyOkgYIiVuBVMcJorFrRAbjmQYaAmHhEALw_wcB
- yes, we have so much Choice here in the UK. We are the Envy of the World.

Other than that, re speeding up the ATA drive  - I'm still waiting for a response from Intech for the failed purchase of Hard Disk Speed Tools.
Although, I haven't yet tried to connect the SSD to the IDE logic board connector, I suppose I can hope there will be an adaptor or bridge that will work, this will result in a huge increase in open/save speed!

D'you know what, I'm actually grateful I've got USB1. Without it, I would have no OS 9.2.2, and no way of transferring files from PC. So that's a positive thing, right? Yes! USB-one! Yew-Ess-Bee-One!!

And, I have a legit copy of Cubase VST! Hoorah!

It looks like I've come late to the party and all the jelly and ice cream has been eaten.

But to use a mismatched analogy, it's still a good game to win.

Isn't it?

Once again, your comments will be much appreciated.

Please ...
G3 B&W Rev. 2, 400MHz, 1GB RAM.
1 x 120GB SSD triple-booting OS9.2.2, OSX Panther, OSX Tiger.
Bought new in 1999 with 256MB RAM and lots of extras

Offline reader50

• Enthusiast Member
Re: The PCI / USB1 / FW400 / ATA100 issues
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 06:51:46 PM »
Most of the FirmTek cards remain available new. I bought a new 1eVE2+2 in January, after giving up waiting for a Seritek card to appear on eBay.

FirmTek store page for External solutions
FirmTek store page for Internal solutions
1eVE2+2 store page

USB2 cards with NEC chipsets (in PCI) work without drivers in PCI Macs. Though OS9 uses them as USB 1.1 ports.
Sedna card on NewEgg (US$14 shipped) reviews confirm it works in Macs
Generic card on NewEgg (US$8 shipped) appears to be the same card

FireWire enclosures on NewEgg.
2.5" Enclosures on OWC, look for the ones with FW
3.5" Enclosures on OWC, look for the ones with FW
OWC Mercury Elite Pro enclosures on eBay under $50. These include FW