Author Topic: Modified Via ATI drivers for iBook G4 Radeon 9200M9+ OS 9 ).  (Read 10404 times)

Offline darthnVader

• Platinum Member
Modified Via ATI drivers for iBook G4 Radeon 9200M9+ OS 9 ).
« on: March 18, 2018, 05:27:34 AM »
These are a set of working 3D/2D drivers for the iBook with the Radeon 9200 Mobility( Device ID 5c63 ).

I've only done a little testing, but they seem to work ok.

Test them out and report back what you find.

Offline LightBulbFun

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
Re: Modified Via ATI drivers for iBook G4 Radeon 9200M9+ OS 9 ).
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 12:19:59 PM »
Woo!

gave it a bash on my Late 2004 1.33Ghz iBook G4 (PowerBook6,5)

the extensions load and give me Nice 2D and full monitor control :) but sadly it seems 3D does not work?, opening Quake 3 gives me an OpenGL error. "Could not initialise OpenGL"

(also i had one boot where the screen went black part way through boot then came back cycled through R G n B then went blank again with OS 9 still running, but a reboot sorted that out)

but very nice work :) im hoping 3D can be made to work, it would make the iBook G4 the fastest OS 9.2.2 Portable I think :)

Offline darthnVader

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 01:19:16 PM »
Woo!

gave it a bash on my Late 2004 1.33Ghz iBook G4 (PowerBook6,5)

the extensions load and give me Nice 2D and full monitor control :) but sadly it seems 3D does not work?, opening Quake 3 gives me an OpenGL error. "Could not initialise OpenGL"

(also i had one boot where the screen went black part way through boot then came back cycled through R G n B then went blank again with OS 9 still running, but a reboot sorted that out)

but very nice work :) im hoping 3D can be made to work, it would make the iBook G4 the fastest OS 9.2.2 Portable I think :)

I tested OpenGL and Rave with Quake3 and Unreal Tournament.

Let me try and re-upload the drivers and see what went wrong.

Offline darthnVader

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 01:49:58 PM »
Try this upload, I think  a zip file will be ok till I can get it stuffed.

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 02:30:12 PM »
Can you please try to make a driver for the unsupported eMac 1.25? the Device ID is 5962 and the device name is ATY,Merlin.
It's supposedly a Mobility Radeon 9200 ...

Atached a picture of the OF device properties.
Thanks in advance
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline LightBulbFun

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 02:51:32 PM »
gave the .zip drivers a go and no OpenGL sadly.

I also nuked the OS 9 install and cloned over the Mac Mini G4s install then installed the Via drivers and no OpenGL still sadly.

I also tested a couple other OpenGL things to make sure it was not just some weird quake bug.

I wonder why OpenGL aint working...

Offline darthnVader

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 03:55:00 PM »
Can you please try to make a driver for the unsupported eMac 1.25? the Device ID is 5962 and the device name is ATY,Merlin.
It's supposedly a Mobility Radeon 9200 ...

Atached a picture of the OF device properties.
Thanks in advance

Need to know the " compatible" property from the display node?

dev agp/@10/@0 .properties

Offline darthnVader

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 04:26:42 PM »
gave the .zip drivers a go and no OpenGL sadly.

I also nuked the OS 9 install and cloned over the Mac Mini G4s install then installed the Via drivers and no OpenGL still sadly.

I also tested a couple other OpenGL things to make sure it was not just some weird quake bug.

I wonder why OpenGL aint working...

Not sure what the issue is, works great for me( 9.2.2 ). I have the 14" iBook, do you have the 12"?

Is changing the screen res working?

I changed the name of the 8500 3D Driver to 9200, but I don't think that would be an issue.

Offline LightBulbFun

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 05:30:51 PM »
mines a 14 inch iBook G4 as well (evident by the 1.33Ghz PowerBook6,5 spec)

while writing this i got OpenGL working :)

the name change did actually cause issues kinda, in that when I dragged over the 12 extensions it left the 8500 one in place and im guessing that was conflicting, so I just nuked the 8500 extension leaving your re-named 9200 one in place and OpenGL is working now. :)

it means this iBook is pretty much the fastest Portable OS 9 machine Woo! :)

very nice work :)

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 08:07:59 AM »

Need to know the " compatible" property from the display node?

dev agp/@10/@0 .properties

compatible ATY,Merlin

:)
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline whoisthisguy

• Enthusiast Member
  • Nyaaa
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2019, 12:06:18 PM »
Hi there! Please could you share your experience how to modify ATI drivers for os9. I have mac mini g4 and out of range with resolutions higher than 1280x720. If i delete ati extensions I can boot 1920x1080@60 but 256 colours and obviously without acceleration. I want to try to modify drivers but I don't know where to start. Cant find any info on the internet or this forums.
=^__^=

Offline darthnVader

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2019, 05:01:07 AM »
Hi there! Please could you share your experience how to modify ATI drivers for os9. I have mac mini g4 and out of range with resolutions higher than 1280x720. If i delete ati extensions I can boot 1920x1080@60 but 256 colours and obviously without acceleration. I want to try to modify drivers but I don't know where to start. Cant find any info on the internet or this forums.

You are not going to have much luck, two issues:

1.http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,4337.0.html

2. I had to use the 'NDRV' from 10.3.7, later versions didn't work, so unless you write your own 'NDRV', things just are not going to work right.

Offline whoisthisguy

• Enthusiast Member
  • Nyaaa
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2019, 03:55:39 AM »

2. I had to use the 'NDRV' from 10.3.7, later versions didn't work, so unless you write your own 'NDRV', things just are not going to work right.

Thank you for the feedback! I saw the thread you mentioned here. Yeah I understand the problem with vertical frequencies but, I have 1920x1080 on Tiger with the same Mac Mini. Even if I use NDRV from Tiger on Jaguar I have no issues with ranges.  So, I believe this issue can be fixed by the software.
---
Could you please provide me with some more info about using the OSX NDRV on O9? Thanks!
=^__^=

Offline darthnVader

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2019, 04:06:47 AM »

Thank you for the feedback! I saw the thread you mentioned here. Yeah I understand the problem with vertical frequencies but, I have 1920x1080 on Tiger with the same Mac Mini. Even if I use NDRV from Tiger on Jaguar I have no issues with ranges.  So, I believe this issue can be fixed by the software.
---
Could you please provide me with some more info about using the OSX NDRV on O9? Thanks!

Ati's 'NDRV's' live in the Apple NDRV folder.

Code: [Select]
/System/Library/Extensions/AppleNDRV/ATIDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/ATIDriver

Open it with Hexedit, and search for the name of your display " compatible" property. Then for the last Joy!peffpwpc to the next Joy!preffpwpc, that is the ndrv for your card.

Copy and save it with Hexedit, then open it with resedit, and let resedit do a little magic on it. Then open the data fork and copy it.

Take the driver I posted and open it in resedit, replace the date fork with your's. Then find the resource that has ATY,Snowy and replace it with the " compatible" property of your display. Also fix the length of the data fork just above ATY,Snowy.

Save and exit, put the new file in the extension folder, and reboot.

This in no way will make the ATI Graphic's Accelerator work, for 2d, but it is a necessary step if your ATI card doesn't have a Rom based 'NDRV'.

Offline whoisthisguy

• Enthusiast Member
  • Nyaaa
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2019, 06:12:34 AM »
darthnVader! Thank you so much for this feedback! I think this is a great starting point for me to start digging into the stuff. I will create the Thread if some progress will be achieved. Thanks!
=^__^=

Offline whoisthisguy

• Enthusiast Member
  • Nyaaa
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2019, 07:52:16 AM »
Hey, @darthnVader! I've done this steps: opened ATIDriver in HEX, copied ATY, Via section from Joy to Joy and save it as a new file. Then I tried to open it with ResEdit 2.1.3 under OS9 but it opens Empty file. I also tried v 3.0 but with no luck. Could you please tell me more about Res Edit magic you mentioned earlier. Thanks!
=^__^=

Offline darthnVader

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2019, 04:01:57 AM »
Hey, @darthnVader! I've done this steps: opened ATIDriver in HEX, copied ATY, Via section from Joy to Joy and save it as a new file. Then I tried to open it with ResEdit 2.1.3 under OS9 but it opens Empty file. I also tried v 3.0 but with no luck. Could you please tell me more about Res Edit magic you mentioned earlier. Thanks!

You need "Super Resedit", basically Resedit with Forker to see the data fork.

Offline whoisthisguy

• Enthusiast Member
  • Nyaaa
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2019, 02:01:44 PM »
Hey @dartnVader! I finaly did it! I've successfully ported Mac OS X 10.4.11 NDRV into OS9 and now my Mini boots 1920x1080. 2d Acceleration is working. But now I have another problem: right after the boot machine become unresponsive ((( No cursor movings, no CAPSLOCK etc. Maybe you have any ideas here? Thanks again.
=^__^=

Offline whoisthisguy

• Enthusiast Member
  • Nyaaa
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2019, 03:12:27 PM »
Some updates:
- ATI Graphics Accelerator extension causes freezes.
- Without it no 2d/3d but 1920x1080@60 Millions of colours. No out of range black screen anymore.
- Strange side effect: desktop disappears (grey screen + cursor) after the resolution switch. Power button and wake from sleep brings all things back.

I’ve tried 10.3.9 ndrv also:
- 2d / 3d - no problem
- out of range if > 1280x720
- strange side effect with grey screen

—————

I think it’s all because we are replacing all the os9 data with the osx data. But we need to replace only screen resolution / ranges / frequencies section. @darthnVader, do you have any idea how to achieve this? Thanks.
=^__^=

Offline whoisthisguy

• Enthusiast Member
  • Nyaaa
=^__^=