Author Topic: Vision DSP 4.0 Installer  (Read 8638 times)

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
Vision DSP 4.0 Installer
« on: March 17, 2018, 11:44:32 PM »
Does someone have an image of this? My CD is broken.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 12:46:51 AM by Syntho »

macStuff

Re: Vision DSP 4.0 Installer
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 10:27:03 PM »
i think *ANY* version of "Vision DSP" will be v4.0
because i think there was only one version
it was given v4.0 to keep it's product line
 in sync with their flagship product SVP4.0
which was current at the time..

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 09:46:20 PM »
Someone's gotta have this damn CD...

Offline Vlad_01

• Newcomer
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 12:49:35 AM »
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 01:41:06 AM by Vlad_01 »

macStuff

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 04:40:31 AM »
its not going to be much different than SVP
i dont understand why the sudden extreme interest in this specific version?

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 07:43:12 PM »
its not going to be much different than SVP
i dont understand why the sudden extreme interest in this specific version?

There is a bug in the last release of SVP. When you fill in note names for a drum module, then click in the note name list to select the note, you see nothing but "...". This was discussed in the other thread.

Thanks Vlad. The reason I wanted to try DSP is that the instructional videos made by Opcode have them using either SVP 4.0 or DSP 4.0, and you can clearly see that the note names are working fine. DSP 4.5 is giving me the same problem though  :-\

Maybe it's DSP 4.0 that works fine and after that things went whacky. I was unaware that 4.5 (either DVP or DSP) would require an authorization diskette. My DSP 4.0 CD has nothing but a serial number. I'm still on the hunt for an image of the original 4.0.

Offline Vlad_01

• Newcomer
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 10:52:47 PM »

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2018, 03:05:58 AM »
Thanks Vlad. I can confirm that the issue described above is a bug. DSP 4.1 properly displays the note names in the Notes window/popup. I wonder what happened that made it like that...

macStuff

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2018, 06:58:33 AM »
are u sure it isnt a font related issue?

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2018, 02:42:04 PM »
I'm not sure. I don't know how to test for that. I'd like to figure it out though.

macStuff

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2018, 03:02:03 AM »
i just remember reading that there are certain fonts that need to be installed for studio vision
thats probably why you had a display issue..

its probably that a certain version of software installer by chance happened to install the font u were missing
and fix the problem

anyway this is why i included the v4.0 SVP actual RETAIL CD featured prominently on my opcode file repo http://oldschooldaw.com/opcode/
so that everyone had acess to a real retail installer that might "Fill in the blanks" of support files / fonts etc

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2018, 01:19:22 PM »
What you're remembering is a font called "Aloisen". It's a music notation font. All others are standard come-with-the-Mac-system fonts.
This is a bug.

macStuff

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2018, 02:01:35 PM »
if my memory serves i believe theres more than just that one font GaryN... but anyway good luck tracking it down

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2018, 09:47:10 PM »
There are two versions of the Aloisen font, one of them being a brief case font, the other looking like it's for older systems. Then there's the keyboard layout.

I just discovered that the DSP version also does not have yet another bug in the drum matrix (selecting measures with the ruler correctly selects whatever you've selected, see my other thread for more info and screenshots). I'm going to use DSP for my midi sequencing from now on because those two bugs impede my composing.

I just looked at my DSP CD and it's version 4.2. I'm uncertain if that version has the two bugs as mentioned, but I'd like to get the full CD image of it in any case. Mine only needs a serial number but the one Vlad posted needs a key diskette. Maybe 4.2 was the first version using serial numbers?

Does anyone know how to copy a damaged CD? The one I have has a crack but it's on the outside of where he data is, but it still gives me issues.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2018, 10:02:24 PM »
Dammit! I had a really good smart-ass reply all ready to go and just before i was going to post it, up popped Syntho (hmmm…good song title)

Anyway, that doesn't count, because they're both still Aloisen.
I'm going to use DSP for my midi sequencing from now on because those two bugs impede my composing.
I think the only big difference between DSP and SVP is ATM / MTA lolololol - as in MIDI-to-Audio… I think?
You'll have to see if using both DSP and SVP creates any issues. Example: you can't even open SVP 4.5 files in 4.2 - DSP may be similar.
Also, pref files may get mixed up…or not.
I'll play with DSP 4.1 for a while too and see what else, if anything is missing.

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2018, 10:05:57 PM »
From all of my research, the only differences at all between them is that DSP lacks audio to midi/midi to audio, and TDM support. That's it. That creates a problem for me because sometimes I do turn TDM on. I can always export the midi and import back into the other though. There are also different preferences files, so the only conflict between the two that I can see is that the icons will change. It seems to favor the red DSP icon instead of the green SVP one.

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2018, 10:48:48 PM »
Here's yet another finding: it actually isn't only DSP 4.1 and prior that doesn't have those bugs. Unbeknownst to me, there was a copy of 4.2.3 out there. It also doesn't have those two bugs! It looks like versions starting on 4.5 have these bugs, and anything prior does not. I think I'm going to downgrade to 4.2.2 or 4.2.3 and rock that for the rest of my time!

Does anyone know if there were ever versions 4.3, 4.4 ever released? I wish we had a list of all versions ever released, as well as some K'd copies.

The DSP version 4.2.3 on your site is only a partially downloaded copy (80k, should be a meg or so). http://www.oldschooldaw.com/opcode/_SVPRO/SVP422.423/visiondsp423.hqx

The 4.2.2 copies on your site won't unstuff either? Gives me an error for some weird reason.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 02:09:36 AM by Syntho »

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2018, 03:54:06 PM »
Well, even if we're not determining what happened, we're zeroing in on when.

You might double-check TDM support in any later versions as well. It may also reappear if you're lucky.

Might you be so kind as to post the copy of 4.2.3 ? I'd like to play with it.

Great work!

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2018, 07:50:50 PM »
After about 6 hours of screwing with this stuff last night I finally found some good copies. 4.2.3 seems to be the very last version that was stable. 4.5 introduced some additional audio automation and changed the way a few things function, but nothing most of us can't live without. I'm going to switch to 4.2.3 permanently and keep a copy of 4.5 around just in case. Just drop in the 4.2.3 version into the 4.2.2 folder and you're set.

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2018, 10:21:14 PM »
I just assembled an O.G. version of 4.2.3 with all extra necessary files, documentation, and plugins, complete with custom icons. See attached  8)