Author Topic: PowerMac G4 AGP issue installing 10.4 Tiger  (Read 3310 times)

Offline garysome1

• Newcomer
PowerMac G4 AGP issue installing 10.4 Tiger
« on: March 05, 2018, 09:07:01 PM »
When I restart using the OS X Tiger disks (I've tried several versions) I get the following panic during startup shortly after the gray Apple logo:
Panic(cpu caller 0x002E59BC): Unable to find driver for this platform: "PowerMac3,1"

G4 AGP 350MHz, 640MB RAM.

I have:
- Updated the firmware to the latest ver 4.2.8
- Re-partitioned and reformatted multiple drives
- Ran RAM tests
- Successfully installed 9.2.1, 10.1, 10.2, and 10.3 on all the drives without issue
- Removed every card, modem, disconnected every drive except the target for 10.4 install and the DVD drive
    - I also disconnected the DVD drive and tried installing from a USB key to make sure it wasn't the DVD drive
    - I also pulled out the AGP video card and put a known good PCI video card from a B&W
- Reset the PRAM, when into Open Firmware and reset-nvram, set-defaults, & reset-all
- Reset the PMU
- Tried multiple install DVDs/CDs at versions 10.4.6 and 10.4.10, also made USB key disk and edited to make sure my PowerMac3,1 was in the hwbeSupportedMachines list (although the readme says the install supports the G4 already).

Any suggestions?

Offline reader50

• Enthusiast Member
Re: PowerMac G4 AGP issue installing 10.4 Tiger
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 12:07:12 AM »
You are using Tiger install media for an Intel Mac. I tried an Intel 10.4.4 install disc on my Sawtooth just now, and duplicated your result.

Leopard is dual-boot, but for Tiger, you need the retail release. Or reinstall media for PPC Macs. Or a working image from a PPC Mac.

On the plus side, you can stop pulling your hair out. :)

Offline garysome1

• Newcomer
Re: PowerMac G4 AGP issue installing 10.4 Tiger
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 08:19:18 PM »
reader50,

THANK YOU! I don't understand why my iBook G4 disk didn't work but who cares? A download of 4 disk images later I am set.
Hard to believe Apple thought a panic was the right expression for using Intel disks on PPC...

Thanks again!
Gary