Author Topic: The case of disappearing programs  (Read 3400 times)

Offline nd2003grad

• Valued Member
The case of disappearing programs
« on: March 05, 2018, 06:24:37 AM »
I posted another thread, but this is a single topic that I found SOME reference to on another forum, but it didn't make sense.  A while back, I had an issue where Classilla decided to show as a document.  After the option-command desktop rebuild, it worked precisely once then went to a "pc" icon with the same issue.  This also happened after running Virtual PC 5.0 successfully, but as soon as I close it it's now a "PC" file.  Anyone know what's up with this?  If I can get this fixed then I'm in pretty good shape.  I'm trying to avoid a full re-install.  I tried "restore in place" but the it gave me an error when attempted.  This is on a 450 B/W g3.

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
Re: The case of disappearing programs
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 07:14:26 AM »
I do wonder if this might have something to do with you running SoftWindows 98 and Virtual PC? Pehaps someone here, familiar with those… might weigh in concerning such possible symptoms / side-effects? (You knew I'd go there.)

They’ve not disappeared… they’re only now in PC “clothing”?

Great title, however. Certain to arouse the MacSleuths. ;)
This Must Be The Place

Offline nd2003grad

• Valued Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 09:55:53 AM »
You are correct about the clothing.  I WOULD totally agree with you about the windows stuff....except that this started happening before I touched any Windows-emulating anything program.  Softwindows didn't properly install, but Virtual PC installed and worked perfectly. 

Offline ovalking

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 01:08:11 PM »
Unfortunately I don't know what is causing your problem.

I'd be interested to know if the file type and file creator of your orphaned icons has changed.

The file type/creator is key to applications behaving as applications and documents opening with the expected application.

For example, Classilla file type is APPL and creator is MOSS. You can read these value with a utility such as File Buddy. Creator Changer and Creater Type are a couple of others.
They also allow you to change them to what they should/shouldn't be.
This might help understand what's going on.

Offline nd2003grad

• Valued Member
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 05:40:45 AM »
You know I tried File Buddy and it won't open either.  I'm going with Sir Fury de Bongo's suggesting and moving everything to drive 2, clean install on drive one, then moving things back in pieces and re-installing some stuff.  That SHOULD fix whatever went wrong one would think...it seems like a freak thing to me!