Author Topic: M-Audio Firewire Audiophile  (Read 3141 times)

Offline Petros90

• Enthusiast Member
M-Audio Firewire Audiophile
« on: March 02, 2018, 01:37:39 PM »
Just to confirm that the coclusion in the old thread  "Problems with M-Audio Firewire Audiophile" is correct.

I bought and won a F/W Audiophile card on eBay, plugged it into the G3 (which was running, of course), and immediately the panel leds started flashing ... after a moment's thought - FireWire is hot-pluggable? - I quickly unplugged the unit, shut down , restarted with the F/W unit connected, no flashing this time but the device is not recognised. I've tried reintalling OS 922 from scratch, clean install, reinstall driver, yah boo

The driver was from the pack that is recommended in the thread. I've now no way of finding out if the unit was dead when it arrived, if I fried it by hot-plugging, or if it's OK !

It'll sit on a shelf for now, maybe someone will come up with a valid driver ... it cost £25 including postage, around $35, so not too big a hit but not the kind of thing that I want to repeat.

I should have checked it out first on this forum before bidding of course, I coulda shoulda read the manual, yada.

So it looks like the next step is an Audiophile 2496 PCI, which I should a bought in the first place, works very well in my PC.
G3 B&W Rev. 2, 400MHz, 1GB RAM.
1 x 120GB SSD triple-booting OS9.2.2, OSX Panther, OSX Tiger.
Bought new in 1999 with 256MB RAM and lots of extras