Author Topic: OS 9 Install w/Sonnet Upgrade  (Read 13601 times)

Offline Tugboat

• Valued Member
OS 9 Install w/Sonnet Upgrade
« on: February 28, 2018, 08:11:29 PM »
I am unable to install OS 9.2.2 on my Power Mac G4 (Quicksilver 2002).  The CPU was originally rated at 800Mhz but years ago I installed a Sonnet Encore/ST G4 1.7, with the firmware change, etc.  Everything worked fine but I eventually moved on to the latest and greatest and now wish to revisit OS 9, but I can't.  I have OS X 10.4.11 on one of my two hard drive partitions, OS 9.1 on another to run Classic and, until recently I had the 2013 version of the universal installer for OS 9.2.2 ("The Well Tempered Mac OS") on a separate hard drive.  But that OS would not sleep, telling me there were system parts I had not installed, and the Appearance control panel would not work.  So, I resolved to finally sort it out but, notwithstanding closely following the instructions here, every version of OS 9.2.2 I install locks up late in the boot process, even with extensions disabled (and yes I always select the box to install OS 9 hard disk drivers).  I don't think it is an issue with the Sonnet upgrade as I can see 1.67 GHZ in the Apple System Profiler on the Classic side and in OS 10.4.11. I have the original install disks and get the same unsatisfactory results.  What am I missing?  Thank you very much in advance.

macStuff

Re: OS 9 Install w/Sonnet Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 08:16:26 PM »
https://www.macintoshrepository.org/919-mac-os-power-mac-g4-quicksilver-2002-complete-restore-disc-set

you can always do a fresh restore if you are able to download + burn some cds
or if these are the "original install disks" that you arleady have, then u are all set.

all you need to do is a restore, to a fresh partition/disk
i think its under 10gb?
you will end up with osx 10.2 + os 9.22 on the same partition i think
then you would be free to trash either one
personally id trash 10.2 jaguar + keep os9 ;)

Offline Tugboat

• Valued Member
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 09:18:26 PM »
I just tried that and it too froze, albeit in a different way (different splash screen that locked up).  Which makes me think the Sonnet card might have something to do with it.  I really love this computer and would be only too happy to run it as an OS 9 machine but I just can't get there.

Thank you.

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 09:25:24 PM »
Did you install the OS 9.2.2 (that wouldn’t sleep), on the separate HD after the Sonnet was already present?

Do you still have the original QS 800 MHz processor to swap back in and then attempt OS reinstall from your original install disks?

Quicksilver’s have cable select feature like MDDs? Or, must drives be set to slave/master settings?

Before yanking the Sonnet, you might try disconnecting your 10.4.11 drive and setting your target OS 9.2.2 drive to master (if necessary), and then try to boot OS 9.2.2 with that one drive absent. If you encounter the same lock-up when trying to boot OS 9.2.2… then you might try taking it all back to square one and replace the Sonnet with the original QS processor, and then either attempt to reinstall from your original disks OR… install only OS 9.2.2 on that solo drive.

Afterwards, (if you can get OS 9.2.2 to boot), then put the 10.4.11 drive back into the mix and see if they “play nice”. AND of course, back up everything that you might need… if you do the complete “back to square one” reinstall on your (now), 10.4.11 drive.

Have you pulled all unnecessary cards and peripherals from the mix and disconnected down to just the bare bones?

There’s my two cents. Someone else may now give you better, simpler options to try.

*Lately, I’ve converted to the “option-key” boot startup, with the install disk in the drive.
This Must Be The Place

Offline Tugboat

• Valued Member
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 09:28:17 PM »
Thanks much.  Will pursue in the morning.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 10:55:34 PM »
I'm confused as to exactly what OS9 system you're trying to run.
Check and make sure that the Boot ROM version is 4.28 - any other version will fail to boot.
Trouble is, unless you have another OS9-capable computer, I don't know how you're going to actually check this.

Again to clarify…are you saying the computer boots and runs fine in OSX? That would mean the firmware patch IS working and the issue must be with whatever OS9 you're trying.

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 02:53:50 AM »
You have to run the sonnet installer twice and you may have lost the firmware patch if your battery is gone. Pt5 has mentioned that before.

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2018, 06:01:44 AM »
You have to run the sonnet installer twice and you may have lost the firmware patch if your battery is gone. Pt5 has mentioned that before.
That is right devil, if you run it twice (The sonnet cache enabler) you can ruin your system. it happenend to me.

Also, it seems that tiger and leopard do not want to boot OSX without the sonnet kext. Panther can (slowly) and from there you can install the pkg over any drive/system.

I could boot to 9 taking off the "Apple" Apple CPU plug and its folder "multiprocessing", but protools PCI do not want to run in that scenario. With the sonnet Apple CPU pluging I could hear the voice of 9 saying: "It is not my fault:something is broken" and the resolution from OSX is not recovered and the monitors go to some strange resolution that my 1280x1024 lcd monitor  cant handle.

Conclusion: I gave up again with Mac OS 9 on that machine. Maybe with a CRT I could get to desktop.
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline Tugboat

• Valued Member
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2018, 08:56:28 AM »
Interim update.  Yes OS X runs fine. Also, I have a working Lombard with OS 9 on it.  How can I use the Lombard to check the boot rom on the Quicksilver?  Thank you so much for your comments. 

macStuff

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2018, 10:45:42 AM »
i had problems when i overclocked my cpu in my B+W g3 450 ..
clocking to 500mhz ruined my ability to install osx i think? i remember i had to put the jumpers back to 450 to get it to behave properly - also ive seen alot of disclaimers regarding 3rd party cpu providers - what company was it that said they dont support any cpu upgrades at all? digidesign? i cant remember

is it possible that openfirmware is checking the current state of the cpu? tied into some type
of scripted debug/init ?

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2018, 11:07:38 AM »
Interim update.  Yes OS X runs fine. Also, I have a working Lombard with OS 9 on it.
How can I use the Lombard to check the boot rom on the Quicksilver?
Thank you so much for your comments.

Maybe… with Quicksilver booted in Firewire Target Disk mode (connected to the Lombard),
you could “get info” from the Quicksilver as to the ROM version present on the QS?

OR, you could possibly install OS 9.2.2 to the QS (from the Lombard to the QS), in FW TDM?
This Must Be The Place

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2018, 02:14:38 PM »
Duhh. Note to self: No Firewire on the G3 Lombard!

Yes, had to go downstairs and check.

Maybe a network install via X-over cable?

(Lombard) "PowerBook G3 does not have wireless capability installed,
you generally can just use a simple crossover cable, or Ethernet cables
and a hub, to connect another Mac." -EveryMac.com
This Must Be The Place

macStuff

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2018, 03:29:29 PM »
are u still not up + running????
there seems to be some kind of disconnect here.. im failing to understand whats so complicated?
its pretty simple:

1> aquire the quicksilver 2002 restore cds if you dont possess them already

2> boot from cd1 of the quicksilver 2002 restore cds

3> follow restore procedure + swap cds untill the restore completes

4> (the computer will automatically reboot or promt you to)

5> once u are booted up in osx ;launch system preferences and select "system folder" as your startup folder (yes u can select a startup FOLDER aswell as a startup DISK in 9.22)

6> reboot into the exact 9.22 installation that your machine was shipped with originally and ENJOY!

there are actually 5 disks + 2 other disks in the restore cd set (total of 7 discs)

cd version 1.0 691-3625A
Software Restore 1 of 5
Software Restore 2 of 5
Software Restore 3 of 5
Software Restore 4 of 5
Software Restore 5 of 5

then theres two other cds, one is a mac os x installation cd (for installing osX v10.1.3 seperately from 9, cd version 1.1 2Z691-3632-A)
and the other is an applications cd (Cd version 1.4.1)

you only need the first 5 discs
if u cant even get thru the basic restore process (which is basically just an Apple Software Restore copying files from a cd to a new partition)
it might be the case that you need to reinstall a genuine apple g4 cpu

like i said earlier in the thread that has been known to happen.
this is why some people dont mess around with 3rd cpu upgrades
and software companies say they dont support the 3rd party cpus.

Offline Tugboat

• Valued Member
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2018, 04:09:00 PM »
Computer froze up on Software Restore 1 of 5 CD but will try again tonight.  Am hoping to avoid having to locate another genuine CPU for this model as I lost the original in an office move years ago.

macStuff

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2018, 06:07:11 PM »
i hear ya but this is why i would always keep the original CPU if possible
just like keeping the original video card can be helpful aswell.. to do a full system restore from the original software shipped with the machine + restore the original hardware components is (in my opinion) the best bet for a stable system...

but really what we are talking about is simply getting all the right drivers for your hardware + eliminating possibility of any hardware defects (dead drives, bad ram) or out-of-spec hardware (wrong type of ram etc)

anyway its my approach from now on, some might not agree but it works for me;)

i had to do the same thing on my g3 a few years ago, when i overclocked it, it was only a 50Mhz oc from 450-500 but i had to take it back to 450 before i could get ASR to complete it was a pain in the neck!

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2018, 10:21:29 PM »
I have an idea. Humor me here, it won't take long and it just might fix your problem.
I too, have a Sonnet - different model, different unit (MDD) BUT
There seems to be a common issue that often causes trouble with these in OS9

My MDD refused to boot in OS9 until i was given this file to replace the one that was native to OS 9.2.2
It appears - on the surface at least - to be nothing more than a standard "Apple CPU Plugins" file although an earlier version than the one I had.
All I know is that when installed in place of the other one, suddenly my computer started booting OS9 with no trouble.
I suspect that the CPUP resource has been altered to include code or CPU model #s not in the original.

Give it a shot. It can't hurt anything and you can always put the original back.
The only issue is: To send it intact, I've Stuffed it.
Since you can't boot OS9, you'll have to unstuff it in OSX and then drag it into your OS9 System.
This will require you to have a UnStuffit-capable app in OSX - Mac Archive Utility will NOT work, so…
I'm including a copy of "The Unarchiver" which will work in OSX.
I had to use the built-in Mac Archiver to make it small enough to attach here.
You can also download it at: https://the-unarchiver.en.softonic.com/mac

Unzip the app, use it to Unstuff the file then replace the one that's in OS9 System Folder/Extensions.
If the System has a Multiprocessing Folder with another "CPU Plugins" file in it, remove that too.
Put the original(s) anywhere outside of the System folder temporarily.
Then…
Cross your fingers and toes and give it a shot.

Offline Tugboat

• Valued Member
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2018, 07:32:17 AM »
Thank you very much.  I will try this tonight and report back.

macStuff

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2018, 07:46:09 AM »
just trying to see which exact cpu upgrade it is that you have?

theres a page on everymac:
https://everymac.com/upgrade_cards/sonnettech/encore_g4/encore_st_g4_1.7.html

but on the sonnet website (archived)
it doesnt show a 1.7? only 1600 + 1800 mhz?
https://web.archive.org/web/20070224211650/http://www.sonnettech.com:80/product/encore_stg4.html

ok here it is on their site in 2005 - i guess they removed it later on (due to lack of availability for purchase probably??)
https://web.archive.org/web/20050205163240/http://www.sonnettech.com:80/product/encore_stg4.html

https://web.archive.org/web/20070204105354/http://www.sonnettech.com:80/downloads/proc_upgrds_sw.html
this page has, (although not very clearly as it begins with "Crescendo" in the title)
 downloads for software related to the Encore ST
see the title "Crescendo/Encore™ Software"
Posted: January 3, 2007
Version 2.3.1 adds support for additional Power Mac G4 ROMs, and adds full support for correct processor speed reporting under Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X for Encore/ST G4 upgrades.

http://www.sonnettech.com/downloads/software/ce_install_v231.hqx
looks like this working download link might be what u might need?

isnt this where people would use a ! or _ character to rename the extension to force it to load first?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 08:15:31 AM by macStuff »

Offline Tugboat

• Valued Member
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2018, 07:31:49 PM »
An update.  Gary, thank you for your thorough post.  I followed your instructions, as well as the earlier links to discussions on the subject, but ended up with the same outcome - OS 9 locking up just before the finish line.  I then used extension manager to prepare a minimal set of control panels and extensions thinking that that might do the trick.  It did not.  In between I ran the Sonnet patch installer a couple of times on the OS 9 hard drive only to be told that the patch was already installed.  Somewhere in there, or before, Fury deBongo mentioned that he had an original CPU that I could use to reinstall everything from scratch (I lost my original CPU in an earlier office move).  I took him up on his kind offer, and that will be my next step, along with another update.  In the meantime I can not express how grateful I am for the knowledgeable advice I have received here. 

Someone I worked with a long time ago used to have a sticky on his computer (an SE/30 at that) the following slogan, which I was reminded of during this effort, "The beatings will continue until morale improves."

More to follow.