Author Topic: "Full screen" Classic on Tiger  (Read 7607 times)

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
"Full screen" Classic on Tiger
« on: February 22, 2018, 05:41:24 PM »
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/full-screen-classic-on-tiger.2106826/

I was just playing with Classic on my PBG4 12" and tried an old trick to get the OS9 Finder up and going as a standalone app. It's a little crash happy during file copies, so I can see why it was disabled. Also, the Classic Desktop is invisible (it is being obscured by the OS X Desktop), but you can open your invisible hard drive and other desktop items by typing the start of the item's name and then hitting cmd-<down arrow> to open a window.

1. Duplicate "Finder" from "System Folder" and drag the copy to the "Applications (Mac OS 9)" folder, renaming it to "Finder (Classic)" or something similar
2. Use ResEdit, FileType or similar to change the File type to APPL and Creator to anything else (e.g. "aplt").
3. Save changes.
4. Double click "Finder (Classic") to launch.
5. (Put an alias in your Startup Items if desired).
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline darthnVader

• Platinum Member
Re: "Full screen" Classic on Tiger
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 04:46:22 AM »
Cool, but I think Panels was made by Apple to be a sort of Finder replacement.

It's odd that they included it as far back as 9.0.4, I think, but I only know of one way to enable it. So far as I know, Apple never enabled it.

https://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=9184

Online RossDarker

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 02:35:02 PM »
If you open Multiple Users control panel, turn it on then create a new user. When you are creating the user, set type of user to "Panels". Now you can log in to that user, and Panels is used instead of the Finder.

By the way sometimes when using the Login Window to log in, you will get a beep and it will say Login Crashed unexpectedly, and logs into the default user. Nailed this crash down to "Apple Menu Options" control panel, if it's present it crashed, but I found a fix by replacing the control panel with one from Z1-9.2.2.

Offline darthnVader

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 03:02:58 PM »
If you open Multiple Users control panel, turn it on then create a new user. When you are creating the user, set type of user to "Panels". Now you can log in to that user, and Panels is used instead of the Finder.

By the way sometimes when using the Login Window to log in, you will get a beep and it will say Login Crashed unexpectedly, and logs into the default user. Nailed this crash down to "Apple Menu Options" control panel, if it's present it crashed, but I found a fix by replacing the control panel with one from Z1-9.2.2.

Cool, thanks.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 03:42:28 PM »
if you want to have a classic desktop as OSX desktop,  just open the classic dektop in an OSX window and make it fullscreen. yes of course it doesnt look 100% the same and it is per-volume :)

insert arbitrary signature here