Author Topic: Creating an OS 9 'NDRV' driver for unsupported Geforce cards.  (Read 8092 times)

Offline darthnVader

• Platinum Member
Creating an OS 9 'NDRV' driver for unsupported Geforce cards.
« on: February 20, 2018, 07:47:07 AM »
I got OS 9 running on my Powerbook6,8. That's the 1.5Ghz 12" with the Geforce Go5200.

I'm stuck at 1024x768x16 an I'd like to make a video 'NDRV' driver for the Go5200 so I could have the full resolutions and bit depth supported by the display.

I made an 'NDRV' for the Radeon 9550 in my iBook, for OS 9, but the nVidia card is a little more tricky. nVidia stopped putting NDRV's in the OS X folder after 10.2.8, and I've looked though all the nVidia drivers and I'm unable to find anything that looks like an 'NDRV'.

For OS 9, the Extension 'Nvidia Driver' has the type 'NDRV' and the first 58,117 bytes of the data fork looks to be a display card 'NDRV' then it has 11 bytes of padding, and the remainder is the nVidia Resource Manager(Resman).

I tried replacing the first 58,117 bytes with the 'NDRV' from the NVDADriver.bundle for 10.2.8, that is 79,998 bytes long and fixing the length and new offset to the Resman, but that didn't work.

I know the Resman for OS X has some Device ID's in it, so maybe I need to add my device ID to the Resman code, I'll have to look into it.

Can anyone find a direct link to the 10.2.6 combo update?

I can't seem to find it, as I can only find 10.2.8. In 10.2.6 and before there were separate 'NDRV's' in the Apple NDRV folder for Geforce cards.

Offline snes1423

• Enthusiast Member
Re: Creating an OS 9 'NDRV' driver for unsupported Geforce cards.
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2020, 09:22:44 PM »
i beleive this is what you are looking for  ;)

Offline snes1423

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2020, 06:08:46 PM »
Sorry forgot the attachment

Online ssp3

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2023, 05:15:33 AM »
Resurrecting the old thread..
I got OS 9 running on my Powerbook6,8. That's the 1.5Ghz 12" with the Geforce Go5200.

darthnVader, do you mind posting the instructions how to do it?

My recent purchase of 1Ghz 17" PowerBook included this exact machine too (or was it the other way around? :D) and I'd love to have a go at it as well. Does it require fiddling with Open Firmware?

I'm stuck at 1024x768x16 an I'd like to make a video 'NDRV' driver for the Go5200 so I could have the full resolutions and bit depth supported by the display.

So, how did this project end? Did you made it?
Is it simly copying the resouce from one place to the other or is there more to it?
I'm not a proggrammer by trade, but I do poke around the machine code now and then and wouldn't mind contributing / testing.
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.