Author Topic: ATI Radeon 9200LE Mac Edition PCI (RV280)  (Read 6708 times)

macStuff

ATI Radeon 9200LE Mac Edition PCI (RV280)
« on: February 20, 2018, 05:30:19 AM »
http://lowendmac.com/2004/ati-radeon-9200-mac-edition-pci/

i have one of these cards sitting here in front of me..
except my card is remarked as a "Mac Rad 9200LE 128M" on the white sticker, P/N 102A2750400 000001

i think i had problems with trying to use it in my B+W G3
does anyone else have any success stories with this card?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 12:12:51 AM by macStuff »

Offline darthnVader

• Platinum Member
Re: ATI Radeon 9200 Mac Edition PCI
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 06:11:39 AM »
Is your card the one that shipped with the Xserve, or is it a PC flashed card?

What is the trouble you are having with it?

macStuff

Re: ATI Radeon 9200 Mac Edition PCI
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 06:17:16 AM »
its not a flashed card .. it says on the white sticker that its an official Mac radeon 9200 LE

there seems to be an incompatibility with this card + the Acard 6880M PCI ATA133 card i had installed
it would not boot up; failing with a "?" 3.5" diskette icon as long as i had both the Radeon 9200 LE PCI card and the Acard 6880M card installed.
removing the Acard 6880M and attaching the disk to the built in IDE interface results in a succesfull boot up

the card works 100% but it is not in 2D accellerated mode as moving windows on the desktop produces the "Roll up"

it could be that my problems are related to the fact that i have 8.6 installed on this B+W G3
rather than MacOS9.22 - i forget? do all radeon92x0 graphics require 9.22? i think they do..
or maybe they only require a certain version extension number that can be transplanted into 8.6
i forgot its been awhile since i plugged this system in

it cant be from XSERVE, can it? its a PCI card.. not AGP

the trouble i was having with it was that i couldnt get the machine to boot when i had the Acard ATA-133 card installed..
but removing that removes the problem.. now im booted up fine -- but im trying to get 2d Accell to work.. i dont think it works.. or ive tried the wrong driver version, or it requires os9.22 + drivers in combination to get proper 2d Acell to work?? im not certain
but the 2D ACELL isnt workijng for me right now - its working fast.. performance similar to what i remember when i ran 9800 pro with  no official 2d accell..

im just trying to get it t work 100% properly with 2d Accell.

too bad none of the hackers on this site can seem to fix this 2d accelleration issue
if only we could enable 2d accell on these cards that seem unable to ..
i mean to refer to the cards that "work" but dont have proper 2 accell working.. like the 9800 pro mac edition..
or the other dual dvi cards that "work" but dotn have accell
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 07:40:01 AM by macStuff »

macStuff

Re: ATI Radeon 9200LE Mac Edition PCI
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 07:27:41 AM »
ive confirmed in the apple system profiler that this card has the RV280 GPU chip
so this particular "Mac Rad9200 LE 128M" card i think has more in common with the 9250
than the 8500 (which also uses a R200 GPU)

the article i linked is obviously detailing a different card:
http://lowendmac.com/2004/ati-radeon-9200-mac-edition-pci/
as it lists it as having a R200 GPU:
GPU: Radeon R200
GPU speed: 250 MHz
PCI bus speed/width: 33 MHz, 32 bits
Video memory: 128 MB
Memory speed: 400 MHz
Memory bus: 128 bits
Resolutions: 640 x 480 to 2048 x 1536
Ports: DVI-I, VGA, S-video
Dual monitor support: yes

Offline darthnVader

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 09:10:46 AM »
I'm thing there were only two official 9200's. The Radeon 9200 Mac Edition Retail, and the OEM Xserve Radeon 9200LE, and I'm pretty sure it was PCI.

Some of the G4 Xserves shipped with a PCI card, I know some of them were Radeon 7000, but I was thinking you could BTO a G5 Xserve with a video card.

The Xserve G5 had PCI-X slots that are bankward compatible with 3.3v PCI.

As to the OS 9 drivers not loading for the card, it is likely that the card does not match in Device ID, or even in Name Space.

What you need is an IOReg dump from a Retail 9200 or a flashed one that works for OS 9, then you need to change the .properties of your card to match that one. After that the OS 9 driver should load.

A lot of times ATI made custom Names for the OEM cards so they would not match in name space with the Retail cards. Likely it was a support issue, OEM cards needed you to call Apple Care for support issues, and Retail cards were handled directly by ATI.

My OEM Radeon 9000 has a Name Property of ATY,PheonixParent. I think the Retail 9000 Mac edition had another name, also the Model property. That's the Parent, the you have to look at  the children, the display connectors. The name property, and the compatible property.

If you can put the card in a computer with OS X installed and use IORegExporer to dump the properties of the card, or boot into Open Firmware and find the card in the device tree then do .properties on the Parent( ATY,XXXXXX ) and then do it again on one of the children( ATY,Dispaly_A ).

Or download the OS 9 PCIDDK and look at the card in IOreg and PCIPeak.

http://www.staticky.com/mirrors/ftp.apple.com/developer/Development_Kits/PCI_DDK_3.0.sit.hqx

We need a dump from your card and a retail card, then I should be able to tell you how to get your card working with the OS 9 drivers.

As to the other problem, I remember some touble with Acard's Fcode and ATI's Fcode, I think there was some type of workaround or maybe not.

May check Xlr8yourmac or OWC's old Xpostfacto forums for info on this.

Offline darthnVader

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 09:17:23 AM »
Also the 9200 requires 9.2.

EDIT:

Seems OWC killed the Xpostfacto forums......

I remember us going over the issue with Acard and ATI many times, it was a common combination to have a Acard ATA controller pci card and a Radeon 7000.

Every time someone new came along we would go over the issue.

Mind me, this has been 15 years or more, so anything I tell you maybe a product of my bad memory, and maybe false.

I think the issue stemmed from the amount of  Ram Open Firmware has to execute the FCode of PCI cards, and I thought there was a workaround to partition more ram for Open Firmware.

I was thinking that  Ryan Rempel the author of Xpostfacto included some code that did this, but maybe I'm just misremembering.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 09:52:05 AM by darthnVader »

macStuff

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 06:00:42 PM »
well this card works 100% for me on my B+W G3 450mhz running os8.6
with the exception of the 2D acelleration for scrolling + moving windows etc
if anyone knows how to enable 2D Accell please share that info !

Offline darthnVader

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 08:51:35 PM »

Well you could run the card in a  toaster if you could get Open Firmware to run on it, but it's fully relying on the Fcode option rom, not the ATI Drivers.

I don't know what system calls the ATI card relies on, you maybe able to get it to work in 8.6 with 2d accel, such as it was in the classic OS, but first you're going to need to run it in 9.2.x to know what you may need to copy over.

Offline darthnVader

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 07:20:45 AM »

I've managed to get all the ATI Extensions to load for my 9550, but the 2D accelerator.

I've made the edits to it that I think are necessary, but it just won't load. Likely because it's just incompatible with R3xx chips.

It should work with R/RV2xx chips tho.

You just need to know the device ID of your card. You can get it from the ways I outlined before.

Then it's just a matter of using resedit to replace the device id of your card with the one of the Mac R/RV2xx.

You can't use Open Firmware to fool the extension, they are wise to that, and they query the hardware directly. OS X doesn't and can be fooled by hacks to Open Firmware.

You can fool the ATI Rom Extender with Open Firmware hacks, but we already have our own 'NDRV' so we  don't "need" the ATI Rom Extender.

Even tho I got the 3D drivers to load, and report OpenGL and Rave for my 9550, it doesn't work, when you start a 3D game it will just hang, because there is no support in the drivers for the R3xxx chip, and there never will be.

We'd have to write our own drivers for R3xx+ chips, and we could do that, but it's a matter of how many people care, and that's basically no one at this point.

macStuff

Re: ATI Radeon 9200LE Mac Edition PCI (RV280)
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2018, 12:39:35 PM »
darth: do you have a Mac 9200LE PCI card? or any other 9200/9250 variants?

i would REALLY like to get this stupid card to work.. or the 7000/64Mb either..
at least one of the two  (RV280 vs RV100) working with proper Accelleration
needed in my B+W G3
would make my day!!!!!!!!!! bigtime!

Offline darthnVader

• Platinum Member
Re: ATI Radeon 9200LE Mac Edition PCI (RV280)
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2018, 01:01:44 PM »
darth: do you have a Mac 9200LE PCI card? or any other 9200/9250 variants?

i would REALLY like to get this stupid card to work.. or the 7000/64Mb either..
at least one of the two  (RV280 vs RV100) working with proper Accelleration
needed in my B+W G3
would make my day!!!!!!!!!! bigtime!

No I don't have one, never had a 9200, I bought my iBook thinking it had a 9200, but it has a 9550 :(

I just bough a Mini with a 9200, should have it in about a week.

I have a iBook G3 with the Radeon Mobilty and native OS 9 boot, a DP Quicksilver with a Radeon 9000, an iBook with a Radeon 9550, and a Powerbook with Geforce Go5200.

I've got a Mac Geforce 6600 PCI-E that I've been working to get PCI Passthough with QEMU.

And I have an unkown Geforce card for the Quicksilver on the way( slow shipper ).

I've just been buying all this old PowerPC stuff lately before people just throw it away >:(

I give away my last PPC Mac in 2009 and haven't had one until now.

I just want to get OpenGL working with Qemu-system-PPC, because all this old hardware will someday die and be gone, but qemu is software, and we can run it forever.

I don't need a 9200, I don't think, I've figured out how the drivers work for OS 9. I already knew how they worked for OS X.

If you will download the PCI DDK I linked to and open Tools/Utility/Display Name Registry 1.1, then look down the tree to your 9200 card, and expand it, then upload a screen shot, I can likely whip you up some working drivers for the 9200 you have.

Or I can tell you how to edit them, but I don't know you Device ID?