Author Topic: Wanted: eMac Power Button  (Read 3401 times)

Offline Mardeec

• Enthusiast Member
Wanted: eMac Power Button
« on: February 12, 2018, 03:14:59 PM »
I picked up an eMac for next to nothing, in very nice shape except for the power button, which is beyond repair.  I can power it on by shorting two contacts in the connector with a razor blade, which was great fun at first, but not a good long term solution.  I realize I could use other switches, but the case is in beautiful shape, so I'd like to keep it original.

I understand all eMac models used the same switch.  If you have one laying around, please let me know. 

Offline Mardeec

• Enthusiast Member
Re: Wanted: eMac Power Button
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 01:45:11 PM »
Finally found one.  Many of the online Mac parts stores showed eMac power buttons on their websites, but only TechParts Warehouse (http://www.techpartswarehouse.com) had one in stock.
Good price (around $5 plus shipping), go it installed, and the eMac is happily running 10.5.8.  As I understand it, this model with the Superdrive can't boot OS9, so I think it will remain the "modern" Mac.

Offline Daniel

• Gold Member
  • Programmer, Hacker, Thinker
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 03:40:11 PM »
Have you looked around this site to see if we have support for it yet? We can boot some(all?) of the unsupported eMacs, but I was not involved with that project and can't tell you which ones.

Offline Mardeec

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 02:17:09 PM »
Daniel, thanks for the tip.  I did start to read about unsupported Macs, and it seems like *maybe* OS 9 could be installed on this eMac (1 GHz w/superdrive), but it will be a big experiment.  I have an iMac G3, iMac G4, Quicksilver, and 2 MDDs that I want get running on OS9, and that's proving to be enough a challenge.  For now, the eMac is complete and working, so I'll hold off on trying to install OS9, at least for now.

Marty