Author Topic: PowerBook6,8  (Read 8172 times)

Offline darthnVader

• Platinum Member
PowerBook6,8
« on: February 10, 2018, 08:11:55 PM »
Taking ELN's advice I made a bootable OS 9 cd with one of his ROM's from the Mini thread, and copied the boot 3 resource into the System suitcase.

Low and behold it booted all the way to the desktop, but the Finder doesn't start. This maybe a product of the ROM I used. I have no input, as I think this is one of the ROM's that ELN disabled USB, but I'm not sure.

The system isn't frozen, it's just scrolling the Nanokernel log with:

Code: [Select]
TB drift adjusted to xxxxxx ( x / 144000 )
Whenever ELN gets back to us, maybe the last ROM he posted in the Mini thread will get this system going, doesn't seem to be a valid tbxi. Likely because it was corrupted  in upload/download.

Offline ELN

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
Re: PowerBook6,8
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 06:51:22 PM »
I strongly suggest starting to patch your own version of the boot 3 resource.

Check out the boot3 branch of https://github.com/elliotnunn/mac-rom, but follow the instructions in the master branch README to set file types. Then use https://github.com/elliotnunn/empw to build:
empw EasyBuildBoot3
The 68k source for boot 3 is in OS/StartMgr/Boot3.a, and the output in BuildResults/RISC/Rsrc/Gibbly.rsrc.

Let me know if you have any trouble!

Offline darthnVader

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 03:44:01 AM »
I strongly suggest starting to patch your own version of the boot 3 resource.

Check out the boot3 branch of https://github.com/elliotnunn/mac-rom, but follow the instructions in the master branch README to set file types. Then use https://github.com/elliotnunn/empw to build:
empw EasyBuildBoot3
The 68k source for boot 3 is in OS/StartMgr/Boot3.a, and the output in BuildResults/RISC/Rsrc/Gibbly.rsrc.

Let me know if you have any trouble!

Thanks, ELN, the boot 3 resource does seem to be the key to getting as far as I'm getting, to the desktop, but no Finder launch.

I'm just not sure what the trouble is, it seems to be failing after the patch of the component manager. I'm not sure if that is the stage that failed, or what the next stage should be. I get the clock, and the Battery in the menu bar, maybe I'm having trouble mounting the disks?

I'm really hoping it's not a problem with the ATA drivers, like the trouble with the Xserve.

I'll look at the sources to the boot 3 resource and see if I can make anything of it, but I'm just not sure where to start making changes.

Offline darthnVader

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 05:55:38 AM »
I got the System booted to the Finder, but I have no mouse support.

I can use the keyboard however, I can tab around and use the Command+Keys to open Finder windows and such.

Not sure why I can't get the mouse to work with a USB mouse, I wasn't really expecting the TracPad to work.

Some Extension or Control Panel is not letting the Finder launch, but it's hard to figure the correct one to disable because I can't get to the Extension Manager with ELN's debug window enabled, doesn't read the spacebar, or shift key early in the boot process.

I think I have all the extension I need for USBHID, but my USB Mouse still doesn't work.

I can't boot without ELN's latest ROM from the Mini thread, and the Boot 3 resource added to the System suitcase.

I'm not sure what changes were made to get USB working on the Mini, but they maybe conflicting with USB on the PB6,8.

ELN, any comment on what workarounds you used for USB?

It's odd the the Keyboard works, as it's also USB, but these PB's have a virtual ADB, and the KB/M show up in the device tree under ADB, so the system maybe picking up the KB in ADB mode, allowing it to work.

Offline darthnVader

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 06:36:53 AM »
Got the USB( external ) mouse working ;D

It seems placing the ASP into the Startup Items gets the external USB mouse working. Not sure if it's just a bug that is a biproduct of the patches ELN used for USB on the Mini, or ASP has some special  magic to it.

I'll try and add a different App to the StartUp Items and see if just any App works.........

ELN, what changes do I need to make to disable the "Logging/Debug" window you enabled?

It's not really needed anymore, and it's preventing the Extension manager from loading early in the boot process. It just makes it a lot easier to debug what extension need to be disabled and what don't.

I know the Apple Audio Extension has to be disabled, system hangs if it's not. No shock here, but unlike the iBook6,7 you do not have to add " screamer" to the " compatible" property to boot. However the result it the same, no sound.

The sound devices on the iBook6,7/Powerbook6,8 are going to be troublesome. I've been unable to get them to work even under Linux. Debian as dropped 32bit PPC, because they just were not getting anyone to test or debug. So they may have never got sound to work on these devices, or I just haven't found how to enable it. It only really matters because if it did work, we could look at the linux sources and have something to go by to tell us how we maybe able to get sound working.

Offline darthnVader

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 09:19:45 AM »
The Apple CD/DVD Extension seems to be incompatible with this PowerBook.

Also, the Apple Monitor Extension.

Ethernet does work, but I've been unable to use a web browser as the Text Encoder Extension is not loading for some reason.

It's cool tho, OS 9.2.2 is lighting fast on this 1.5Ghz G4. 8)

Offline teroyk

• Platinum Member
  • -
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 08:33:52 AM »
The Apple CD/DVD Extension seems to be incompatible with this PowerBook.

What drive you have? Is it CD-RW/DVD-ROM or DVD-R?

Also, the Apple Monitor Extension.

Maybe iBook (Early 2003) has come right 1024x768 monitor extension..I don't know, but you can try.

Does firewire port working?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 09:11:54 AM by teroyk »

Offline ELN

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2018, 06:14:20 PM »
This PowerBook might work a lot better with a more recent mini ROM.

Offline darthnVader

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2018, 09:28:54 PM »
This PowerBook might work a lot better with a more recent mini ROM.

It does with your USB enabled ROMs, but you set the machine to the Cube, so no battery monitor or other portable power settings.

Offline sony2k

• Newcomer
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2018, 05:44:59 AM »
Hey guys,

It's been some time since the last post in this thread, and it happens that I have the same machine. Any luck/updates?
I'm currently stuck on bomb loading 9.2 (first extension), Installed from Unsupported G4s iso. (generic kernel).

Would love to hear where you are now, and how I can get there myself.

Offline darthnVader

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2018, 08:25:03 AM »
Hey guys,

It's been some time since the last post in this thread, and it happens that I have the same machine. Any luck/updates?
I'm currently stuck on bomb loading 9.2 (first extension), Installed from Unsupported G4s iso. (generic kernel).

Would love to hear where you are now, and how I can get there myself.

I sold this one on, just too many Macs.

I was never able to get working very well, I think it still had trouble with the Apple CD/DVD Extension, but I think the others worked from 9.2.2 Base in the Extension Manager.

The Trac Pad was too slow to be usable, needed external mouse. No support for the GF5200 Go, AE, Bluetooth, or sleep.

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2023, 01:42:09 PM »
Its the most beautiful Al — i just got it

Such a shame it cannot run os 9

Anyone got it working?
Looking for: Steinberg Cubase MAC Standard/Score v1-5 & Cubase Audio v1, Cubase Audio v2 for, Cubase Audio v3 for DAE/TDM => complete or in parts

Offline ssp3

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2023, 07:12:49 PM »
I do. Somewhat difficult, but doable.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2023, 11:28:10 PM by ssp3 »
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2023, 05:50:21 AM »
Oo difficult works for me

*pray* please tell us how
Looking for: Steinberg Cubase MAC Standard/Score v1-5 & Cubase Audio v1, Cubase Audio v2 for, Cubase Audio v3 for DAE/TDM => complete or in parts

Offline ssp3

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2023, 06:01:40 AM »

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2023, 02:01:32 PM »
I read it but since i am no programmer i ask for a step by step guide

1) insert “unsupported” CD into PB 12” 1.5 running OS X
2) ?

Offline ssp3

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2023, 06:41:03 PM »
No. Either get any 9.2.2 over to your PowerBook in target mode or make external, bootable 9.2.2 drive on another machine.
Then replace the ROM file with the one I posted, remove Multiprocessing folder and unnecessary extensions, boot the PB into OpenFirmware and execute the commands described in my post.

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2023, 06:51:24 AM »
Where does one replace the ROM file

Offline macarone

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2023, 10:55:26 AM »
>Where does one replace the ROM file

It goes in the "root" level of the OS 9 System Folder