Author Topic: SSD QUEST  (Read 3878 times)

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
SSD QUEST
« on: February 10, 2018, 07:28:39 PM »
OWC Mercury Electra 3G 60 GB, Internal, 2.5"
I Just bought 5 of these new SSD drives for $25 each...lol
Specs on these are very good (should be the exact same kit used by OWC for Legacy G4s)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131899893491?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I suggest you get yours too :)  Why are you still reading, get one now!

As per usual, late to the party... again. (Year-and-a-half.)
Can only find these OWCs new, now at double that price & above.
Took a day last week to consider a pre-owned Samsung 128 GB. ($20.00)
Went back next day and it was GONE. :(
This Must Be The Place

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
Re: SSD QUEST
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 08:03:10 PM »
Ok Fury... gotcha covered... pm address and I'll send one your way! ;D

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 08:21:47 PM »
Oh huh.

Speaking of the “coolest dude” category… and of “no good deed going unpunished”. ???
PM me that PayPal account info, you scallywag rascal you. Or beware cash in the mail!

Address coming right up. Thank you very much! ;D
This Must Be The Place

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 06:08:57 AM »
Just did the math... that will be $0.00 for ssd and $0.00 for shipping and handling so that comes to ... let's see, where'd I put that calculator... Total will be $0.00 (plus $0.00 tax of coarse!)... Now PAY UP!!! ;D

Offline darthnVader

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 07:36:43 AM »
Not to derail the topic, but did anyone ever try one of the CF to ATA 2.5 adapters in a PowerBook/iBook?

There are some that will take two CF cards, but I'm not sure how that works. I was thinking of buying one and trying 2 128GB High speed CF cards in it, to see if it works.

Trouble is CF I find for sale doesn't list the type it is, I think the adapters support Type I/II, and I think all the modern CF are Type II, but I'm not sure. I think Type III was largely abandoned.

The modern CF should, theoretically be able to max out the ATA bus in Read/Write performance, and should provide a cheaper alternative to ATA SSD's.

I'm not sure it would work, or if both flash drives will show as one drive to the Disk Utility or two.

Years ago I had a PowerBook 5300c with it's "cardbus" type slot and I had a adapter for an old Samsung  mobile phone. They actually had a modem script that worked with the Mac  OS. I got to looking at it one day, and it was just a sort of CF to cardbus adapter that had a cable that connected from there to the phone. So I plugged a CF card into it, and low and behold it worked.

Formated the drive HFS+ and installed the Mac OS on it.

macStuff

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2018, 09:08:32 AM »
i would make sure whatever drive u are using is sata1 + sata2 compatible
i think that was the reason why some users had problem with newer samsung drives??
because they were sata III spec only?

https://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8142/~/difference-between-sata-i%2C-sata-ii-and-sata-iii

as far as i understand it.. SATA III can downgrade to be compatible with SATA II, while only SATAII can downgrade to be compatible with SATA I - why is this important? well most of the sata adapters compatible to be bootable with mac os 9 only support SATA I!!!!! so u need a SATA II or SATA I hard drive to connect to it.. maybe some users can post testimonial if they are successfully using SATA III on a SATA150 (sata I) pci adapter.. or perhaps some IDE-SATA adapters have the ability to make this a moot point. (ie that they handle the conversion from SATA to IDE, regardless of speed/spec)

What is the difference between SATA I, SATA II and SATA III?

SATA I (revision 1.x) interface, formally known as SATA 1.5Gb/s, is the first generation SATA interface running at 1.5 Gb/s. The bandwidth throughput, which is supported by the interface, is up to 150MB/s.

SATA II (revision 2.x) interface, formally known as SATA 3Gb/s, is a second generation SATA interface running at 3.0 Gb/s. The bandwidth throughput, which is supported by the interface, is up to 300MB/s.

SATA III (revision 3.x) interface, formally known as SATA 6Gb/s, is a third generation SATA interface running at 6.0Gb/s. The bandwidth throughput, which is supported by the interface, is up to 600MB/s. This interface is backwards compatible with SATA 3 Gb/s interface. (SATAII)

SATA II specifications provide backward compatibility to function on SATA I ports.

SATA III specifications provide backward compatibility to function on SATA I and SATA II ports.

ok! that is reassuring, but im fairly certain this is not the case for *ALL* SATA III drives
(such as that newer samsung drive?)

However, the maximum speed of the drive will be slower due to the lower speed limitations of the port.

Example: SanDisk Extreme SSD, which supports SATA 6Gb/s interface and when connected to SATA 6Gb/s port, can reach up to 550/520MB/s sequential read and sequential write speed rates respectively. However, when the drive is connected to SATA 3 Gb/s port, it can reach up to 285/275MB/s sequential read and sequential write speed rates respectively.

**** due to hd speed being affected by spec/support
this is why i was previously posting about non-bootable sata pci cards, in an effort to see if there were OTHER NON-BOOTABLE PCI sata cards that,
while not being able to boot, may still be USABLE in os9, and offer support for a higher SATA spec (ie: supporting SATA II, providing a speed increase over SATA I
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 09:23:18 AM by macStuff »