Author Topic: PowerBook 1400 Internal Farallon Ethernet Drivers  (Read 5616 times)

Offline Greystash

• Gold Member
  • Too many Macs..
    • Mac Classic, Mac Attic
PowerBook 1400 Internal Farallon Ethernet Drivers
« on: February 06, 2018, 09:46:02 PM »
 Hello,

I've been trying to get the internal Ethernet card working on my PowerBook, It's a Farallon card that plugs directly into the motherboard. I previously had the driver for this and tested that it worked, but lost the system a while back when I wiped one of my drives. I've searched all over the internet and tried all of the drivers I've found but nothing has worked. Does anybody know where I can find the correct drivers? I have attached images of the card, and below are the drivers I've tried;

Farallon EN Installer 2.2.2

PB1400 EN Installer 1.6

EtherLAN Installer 1.0

3Com EtherLink III

PC Card Installer 2.2

Thanks

Offline Greystash

• Gold Member
  • Too many Macs..
    • Mac Classic, Mac Attic
Re: PowerBook 1400 Internal Farallon Ethernet Drivers
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 11:33:28 PM »
bump :/

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 02:34:15 AM »
Was this you, over on 68kmla (back in 2013)?
https://68kmla.org/forums/index.php?/topic/53074-powerbook-1400-farallon-ethernet/
If not, check it out.

If it is... well, then you've been looking a very long time indeed.
Does seem that the driver should be available on subsequent OS upgrades available
...after the original basic OS 7.5.3 install?

I've a 9500 to resurrect soon and I'll then check the Apple OS 8.5 install disk.
Sorry, not of any more possible immediate help.

Anyone else?
This Must Be The Place

Offline Greystash

• Gold Member
  • Too many Macs..
    • Mac Classic, Mac Attic
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 04:34:34 PM »
That wasn't me but I do have a post there too.. It seems that this driver has completely disappeared over the last few years :( I'll go through them all again today but it seems that none of the drivers I have tried have been compatible with Mac OS 8.5+.

No worries thanks for your reply!

Offline zChris

• Newcomer
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 12:20:21 PM »
Im in the same place. I reinstalled macos and forgot to preserve the drivers. Also got a Farallon card just like you. Let me know if you find the drivers !

Offline Greystash

• Gold Member
  • Too many Macs..
    • Mac Classic, Mac Attic
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 01:31:01 PM »
So frustrating right? I ended up giving up for now and settling with a PCMCIA card with those flimsy adapters.. I must have tried about 20+ different drivers on all systems through 7-9 and nothing worked.

Offline zChris

• Newcomer
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 01:43:09 PM »
I have good news! I found the driver and it works for me. I have uploaded it to my dropbox drive and will try to spread it as much as i can :)

You can download it here https://www.dropbox.com/s/cpvuctqer22buhn/PB1400ENInstall.sit.hqx?dl=0 please let me know if it works for you too.

Best regards zChris

EDIT: I see that you have tried PB1400 EN Install, can it have been a wrong one? Since i have the exact same card as you and it worked for me. https://www.dropbox.com/s/w8ttn6xylu06b1w/DSC_0084.JPG?dl=0
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 01:59:01 PM by zChris »

Offline Greystash

• Gold Member
  • Too many Macs..
    • Mac Classic, Mac Attic
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2019, 08:07:30 PM »
I have good news! I found the driver and it works for me. I have uploaded it to my dropbox drive and will try to spread it as much as i can :)

You can download it here https://www.dropbox.com/s/cpvuctqer22buhn/PB1400ENInstall.sit.hqx?dl=0 please let me know if it works for you too.

Best regards zChris

EDIT: I see that you have tried PB1400 EN Install, can it have been a wrong one? Since i have the exact same card as you and it worked for me. https://www.dropbox.com/s/w8ttn6xylu06b1w/DSC_0084.JPG?dl=0

zChris thanks for posting the driver, I finally got around to putting the card back in and trying it again. I think there's something wrong with the ethernet card because that driver doesn't work, it doesn't show in system profiler, and when I open PB1400EN Diagnostics I get the error "No valid device found". Very annoying considering this used to work perfectly, I guess I'll keep an eye out for another one. Thanks anyway!

Offline arianon

• Newcomer
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2019, 09:59:08 PM »
I also wanted to say thanks! I've been piecing several old PB1400s together from old broken systems and had one of the ethernet cards. With the drivers works like a charm, I had searched and wasn't sure I was going to be able to get it working.