Author Topic: G4FW800MDD Succes! ..and Hi!..  (Read 3604 times)

Offline Muldor

• Newcomer
G4FW800MDD Succes! ..and Hi!..
« on: February 03, 2018, 08:51:34 AM »
Hello all,

After lurking & learning here for some time I found myself an old G4 FW800 1Ghz as the new home of my PT 24 mix cards. Thanks to this community it runs OS9 now, booted from the install CD downloaded here. an Addonics sata-ide convertor gave an old 40 gig Intel SSD a new job to do, needless to say this machine is the fastest OS9 Mac I ever encountered.

The ATA-100 port's cable in the FW800 is picky, you have to use the master connector to get the SSD recognised, which is the grey one, not the black one at the end of the cable. Now this pup runs like an ADD phoenix and will make a great realtime FX box. (Also looking for Antares Infinity,  another reason why I made this build. If someone can help me out, would be the final touch!)

So a big thanks to all of you! Never thought I would sit behind OS9 again with so much pleasure!

All the best,

Nick

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
Re: G4FW800MDD Succes! ..and Hi!..
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 11:23:11 AM »
needless to say this machine is the fastest OS9 Mac I ever encountered.
Yup. It's definitely a trip the first time you see an OS that was written in the day when a couple hundred mHz was fast blazing along at 1gHz or better!
The ATA-100 port's cable in the FW800 is picky, you have to use the master connector to get the SSD recognised, which is the grey one, not the black one at the end of the cable. Now this pup runs like an ADD phoenix and will make a great realtime FX box. (Also looking for Antares Infinity,  another reason why I made this build. If someone can help me out, would be the final touch!)
There are two posts just today that seem to be about the same "MDD oddity".
The MDD uses what they affectionately call "cable select" on the IDE buses. There is no "master" "slave" setup.
So, it seems that if the HDD you're installing doesn't have a "cable select" jumper setting, it will only work in one position.
If you can set the HDD to "cable select" it will work anywhere.

Offline Muldor

• Newcomer
Re: G4FW800MDD Succes! ..and Hi!..
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 03:52:35 AM »
There are two posts just today that seem to be about the same "MDD oddity".
The MDD uses what they affectionately call "cable select" on the IDE buses. There is no "master" "slave" setup.
So, it seems that if the HDD you're installing doesn't have a "cable select" jumper setting, it will only work in one position.
If you can set the HDD to "cable select" it will work anywhere.

Thanks! I changed the jumper on the Addonics pcb to 'cable select'; now the black connector talks to the SSD. Better, I folded the remaining ATA cable under the Addonics pcb so the SATA connector gets pushed in place more or less. The SSD is mounted vertically, as long as I don't move the G4 around gravity won't pose a risc. I guess.