Author Topic: QuickER but not "Snappy"  (Read 6510 times)

Offline K7MAP

QuickER but not "Snappy"
« on: August 28, 2013, 08:45:11 PM »

Well since there does not appear to be any posts in this area I will add my
no-value-added drivel.

Let

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
Re: QuickER but not "Snappy"
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 06:16:10 PM »
Well, that machine came originally with Mac OS 8.6. And that OS is a lot more stable and much much faster than 9.x
Sadly 8.6 is lacking some functionallity like language kits, or driver stuff. But who knows what you really like to do with this machine?

I

Offline K7MAP

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 08:57:07 PM »
Ok, thanks. I will give OS 9.1 a try if I can find a nearly free copy. It is fun to play with all of this very affordable older Apple stuff and see what it can do.  Was not expecting 9.2.2 to crash as much as it does. The more I switch between OS 9 and OS X on this machine the more it seems to crash. But that could just be coincidence.

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 04:04:41 AM »
Well, if you are switching between 9 and X,

Offline K7MAP

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 10:39:53 PM »
I concur that somehow OS X, Classic and Native OS 9 don't play well together when I just randomly jump between all of them in a single night. Classic never freezes, just native OS 9. My double whammie trick to fix the freezes is to ensure file sharing is off, then boot OS 9 using the CD, then use the Disk First Aid on the CD to repair the HardDrive. (BTree errors start to show up and correlate to the freezing),   After doing that  OS 9 Native on the hard drive plays well, until I start bouncing between OS X, Classic and Native OS 9 again. Yes, I have a spare disk drive. I should just put that in the G4 and put OS 9 on that and see if that prevents the freezes. Off to read some posts. Thanks for the help. 

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 12:00:54 AM »
Don't know if this helps, but to avoid the whole

Invalid BTree Header , 0, 0

error; the basic rule of thumb is to not access any OS 8 or OS 9 volumes while being booted to OS X, eventually OS X will write to areas of the OS 9 volume that OS 8/9 will report as Invalid Btree Header 0,0; a real pain the the ass that no utilities (and I have tried them all) will fix... So, that is why I mentioned to keep OS 9 machines as OS 9 only and OS X Machines the same.

Use good old file sharing or FTP to transfer files or USE a home made firewire Flash drive... I made many FW400 flash drives with a Lexar FireWire CF Compact Flash Card Reader and a CF 4G or 8GB Card, this will transfer files between OS X and OS 9 with no issues.

PS: Get enough RAM in the unit to make a large RAM disk and Copy a stripped down 9.2.2 to it and reboot to it... your ACG400 will turn into a freakishly fast super Mac.

I and many others have done this.... from the Web...

"you first start up of the hard drive, make your ram disk say 130Mb(given the fact I have 160Mb), this leaves about 30Mb for applications and the OS.
restart the machine, the ram disk is now active. gut the dup the system folder and then gut it until is fits onto the 130Mb ram disk. Bless the system folder on the ram disk. choose the startup disk in via the control panel, restart. Power is stillgoing to ram so the contents of the ram disk are not lost....bingo boot of a ram disk, watch laptop battery life jump and a system that starts up in seconds  .
there you go people....booting off a ram disk 
that also why solid state ram drives have then own power instead of just of the PCI bus....."

Offline K7MAP

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 10:42:38 PM »
"the basic rule of thumb is to not access any OS 8 or OS 9 volumes while being booted to OS X"

Ok. Good to know. Will do. Thank you.

"PS: Get enough RAM in the unit to make a large RAM disk and Copy a stripped down 9.2.2 to it and reboot to it... your ACG400 will turn into a freakishly fast super Mac."

Way cool. 1 more fun project to try.
More thank you.

MP

supernova777

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2013, 02:01:04 PM »
Well, that machine came originally with Mac OS 8.6. And that OS is a lot more stable and much much faster than 9.x

really? does this mean any powermac g3 performs faster running os 8.6 original os?
and using only software compatible with 8.6+? (staying away frm 9.04 completely?)

first b&w g3 was introduced January 5, 1999 with os 8.5.1
actually the only g3 to ship with 8.6 was the last one, the 450mhz as it shipped in june June 1, 1999
mac os 8.6 update is dated May 10, 1999
mac os 9 was introduced October 23, 1999

i suppose this means that g3s are best suited using software released:
-between these two dates or prior
-shortly therafter (and still backward compatible)

lets take a look at that
how do we find a listing of all software released in 1999?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:1999_software
best i can find ^^^

seems this version was made for the b&w g3:
http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/pro-tools-34-free
ProTools v3.4 Digital Audio Workstation software was released on CD-ROM free of charge by Digidesign as a promotional effort in 1997. It is an older but fully-functional 16-track version of the program. Pro Tools v3.4 was only approved for use with some PCI-based Power Macs
theres an article on this version but it looks like theres some type of html; error :
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep98/articles/digidesignprotools.html
but its dated september 1998.

pros
   It's free!
   Very useful on its own or in conjunction with a MIDI + Audio sequencer.
   A good way to learn the Pro Tools interface and to see what all the fuss is about.
cons

Only works on PCI PowerMacs, not NuBus models.

also seems like a good match for cubase 4.0 or 3.7 vst?

i dont understand why but 3.7 seems to be dated september 1999 http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=274.0
and 4.0 dated sometime in 1998...http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct98/articles/cubase_vst4.html
almost a year earlier!~
steinberg cant count apparently;) does this have something to do with pc vs mac versions? is 3.7 for PC only?

ok, from the oct 98 article:
Cubase VST/24 is Steinberg's new flagship sequencing package, and as the name suggests, it supports up to 24-bit audio recording at 96kHz -- as long as you have suitable 24-bit audio I/O hardware to accompany it, of course. Initially the Sonorus STUDI/O card (reviewed in last month's SOS) and Korg 1212 provide such hardware support for the 24-bit Cubase, and drivers for the Lexicon Studio system should also be available by the time you read this. However, the 24-bit software is only available for Macintosh at present, and use is really only recommended on a high-performance G3 Mac -- although Steinberg do not discount the use of non-G3 Macs, they do euphemistically state that Cubase VST/24 is 'optimised' for the G3 -- and reports abound of fairly sluggish performance on less well-specified Macs. Of course, you can buy the 24-bit version of the program and use it in non-24-bit mode if you wish. Although you might think this defeats the object of buying VST/24, because it is the top-of-the-range Cubase, the 24-bit version does offer two major advantages over the standard version, even when you're not using its 24-bit capabilities. It has the same more advanced notation and score printing functions as Cubase Score, and it also offers 96 audio channels, rather than the 64 of the standard Cubase.

so with all this in mind, seems to me powermac g3, for optimal performance + usability: should be running os8.5 or 8.6 (depending on mhz version) and either one of these apps;) cubase vst 4.0 or pro tools

also if u have a powermac g3 i would suggest reason 1.0 (no higher) and also ableton live v1.0
along with cubase 4.0 + these 2 programs i would think you could do some great things;0

g3 overclocking: http://www.dgweb.ca/g3/
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 08:39:00 AM by chris9Lives »