Author Topic: Extension (loaded first) to Monitor Other Loading Extensions  (Read 3509 times)

Offline nightstalkerpoet

• Valued Member
Extension (loaded first) to Monitor Other Loading Extensions
« on: January 29, 2018, 07:34:50 PM »
Are loaded extensions able to monitor extensions loaded afterward? I was thinking perhaps we could write an extension that logged when Extensions are loaded, and how long it takes for the next extension to load. In any case where it takes longer than 2 minutes, that extension would immediately be disabled, and the next would be loaded, or the computer would restart with that extension disabled. Would allow for a good post-install First Run option.

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
Re: Extension (loaded first) to Monitor Other Loading Extensions
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 05:56:43 AM »
Extensions loaded in alphabetical order I believe.
It would be possible to write an extension the monitors the other ones.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it, or break it so you can fix it!

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 08:37:11 AM »
I like it... an EXTENSION extension!! ;D

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 04:11:37 PM »
The old-school trick for forcing a desired extension to load first is to add a space in front of the name.

It kinda sounds like what you're wishing for is Conflict Catcher

Offline nightstalkerpoet

• Valued Member
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 04:58:19 PM »
Sounds like it, though I'd imagined something more automated - that way an OS 9.x.x install with ALL extensions could be deployed worry free. I would be installed with the system, start itself first when the computer loads, then self initiate restarts based on whether the system hangs going through the extensions Alphabetically. On the first successful boot into OS 9, it would then be automatically disabled. It may add an extra hour to the install process, but I think the gains would be worth it.

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 08:00:03 AM »
Sounds like it, though I'd imagined something more automated - that way an OS 9.x.x install with ALL extensions could be deployed worry free. I would be installed with the system, start itself first when the computer loads, then self initiate restarts based on whether the system hangs going through the extensions Alphabetically. On the first successful boot into OS 9, it would then be automatically disabled. It may add an extra hour to the install process, but I think the gains would be worth it.

This would be cool, but I would prefer to have this be an option on the install.  There are a lot of extensions that work on my system that I don't want, and I think this is a common thing, so I have to go disable them.  So all though this would eliminate the not working ones, I would still have to go fix up what I don't want.
Personally though I have only had issues with third party extensions after the system is installed and I have never had issues with extensions that came with OS 9.  This is just my experience, I'm sure others have had different experiences.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it, or break it so you can fix it!