Author Topic: is there fix for finder crash during startup? (other than cmd-option-esc)  (Read 3656 times)

macStuff

macosPlus discussed this recently i think..
i just loaded up my quicksilver 933 for the first time in about a year..
and ive got the infamous finder crash at startup.. i hve to cmd-option escape out of it everytime i boot
is there any "fix" for this? to make it happen automatically without having to do it manually? ie:script?
i vaguely remember fndign a solution for this but the memory eludes me at this time
can anyone jog my memory with any pertinent details?? anyone know of a solution to this?

Offline Daniel

• Gold Member
  • Programmer, Hacker, Thinker
If you drop into MacsBug, maybe it will tell you the name of the offending process/extension. Conflict Catcher could also help. It would be way easier if someone could just tell you the solution. I am not that someone  :(

macStuff

thank u for those suggestions Daniel!
i will try to check into them further!

Offline Astroman

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
my favourite cure for any obscure crashes is to shut off, disconnect the powerline, then shut on/off to unload PSU and onboard caps a couple of times, reconnect power and start again.
It even saved the infamous 'sad mac' hardware failure a couple of times.

macStuff

Re: is there fix for finder crash during startup? (other than cmd-option-esc)
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 06:22:03 AM »
anyone else have any basic mac wisdom to share?
would love to know the quick fix to this problem as my QS is taking like 3-4min to show icons after desktop arrives on boot atm

Offline Astroman

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2018, 08:43:11 AM »
according to my own experience... not really.
If you're lucky it may help to save a couple of things, but memory remains (usually) in a messed up state and it will crash again.

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2018, 10:10:12 AM »
There's a few different things that can cause this finder behavior, so there is a few different solutions also.
A first you should move the preferences folder from the system folder (don't trash it !! ) and restar the Mac to check if a system or finder prefs. file is causing the issue. If this not solve the problem, restore this folder to its proper place and try another thing.
Please don't PM about things that are not private.