Author Topic: MacGarden.org / World’s Fastest MDD & Mille Dinesen  (Read 6549 times)

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
MacGarden.org / World’s Fastest MDD & Mille Dinesen
« on: January 04, 2018, 01:09:46 PM »
Well, the following currently posted over @ MacGarden.org

We are currently preparing to physically move the servers roughly 370 miles.
This includes full hardware maintenance, stripping down racks, servers etc. and moving half a ton of hardware across the country!

Follow the status on Twitter or via the infostatus page
(You'll probably get faster updates through the twitter account though)

You can still access our downloads though !
Heres the information you need for your FTP client.

Hostname: repo.macintoshgarden.org
Username: macgarden
Password: publicdl

Same rules as before, you get 3 active connections per IP, FXP is allowed, anti-hammering will get you banned.

And finally, we're available on IRC as well.
Find us on irc.freenode.net @ #MacGarden

Knez’s package finally left here today as part of the unofficial and wholly un-sanctioned MOS9L.com “Hands-Across-The-Pond” contribution to the World’s Fastest MDD project. 6-10 days estimated travel time… and that might be just enough time for “other activities” to actually be (“near enough”), completed.

Of course I respectfully requested (in exchange), an autographed 8x10 of Mille Dinesen. :) ⌘+Y!
This Must Be The Place

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
Re: MacGarden.org / World’s Fastest MDD & Mille Dinesen
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 01:34:41 PM »
The Garden will probably be up late tomorrow night CET. Need to get the servers in place, hook everything up etc. A lot of stuff to do to say the least.

I'm actually writing this from the MDD with the 1.8ghz Sonnet in place. DAMN that stock Sonnet fan is lound. Thankfully there's a solution on it's way ;-)
Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 02:14:11 PM »
Knez evidently never sleeps.  ;)
This Must Be The Place

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 07:08:36 AM »
Spectre & Meltdown versus James Bond. (Piltdown Man was a hoax.)

Not long after the demise of the dinosaurs and just shortly before the return to Mom and Dad’s basement… there was a brief period in time when monsters indeed roamed the earth. It was a time… lo, long before the inter-webz and even before little gum-chomping, jet-flyin’ Maverick uttered the cinematic: “I FEEL, the NEED, for SPEED”.

I know… hard to imagine and/or believe.

Yea verily, unto you I must say... that it was during this particular time (a long-long-long time-ago), that many pre-pubescere boys (and yes, some girls too), were legally exposed to the works and imagination of Ed “Big Daddy” Roth (http://www.ratfink.com). Mr. “Big Daddy” illustrated all manner and sorts of bloodshot & bug-eyed, tongues-out-and-slobbering, over-sized-in-scale monsters (of varying colors, shapes and sizes), rising up through the roof of many differing makes und types of imagined, flame-spewing, tire-smoking “funny” cars. Indeed, quite the site to see. (I’d attach sample example images here, but do not wish to attract THE lawyers or, zee Germans.)

Sadly, Big Daddy left us back in 2001, but many of his images still linger within the quagmire of many a (thusly-infected/af-fected), brain. And, just as early humanoids often felt the need to be fleet-of-foot (fight-or-flight OR run-or-be-lunch)… this innate need-for-speed still manifests itself in some of us to this day. Some, perhaps more than others.

So, thank you “Big Daddy” Roth. Sincerely. (Do visit the above-noted ratfink.com.)

Why all this warped, historical-like blather? Well… tracking the recent package headed across the pond to Knezzen, just provided the info that as of around 10 p.m. last night, the package departed O’Hare International Airport… winging its’ way HOME to the World’s Fastest MDD!

In effect, JESUS, it JUST LEFT CHICAGO… hopefully, not "bound for New Orleans".

…and I’ve been trying to imagine a MacOS9Lives logo/sticker/decal to create and photoshop onto the image of THAT MDD. (With absolutely no help from those here, wishing to have things simply remain ambiguous.) ;)

Thusly, Edelbrock Headers, Hurst Shifters, STP, Thrush Mufflers, MOON Racing Equipment and other similar “hot-rod” era related logos have recently wafted through my mind.
(I know, take the meds, stop the wafting.)

Perhaps just the acronym WFM shall be sufficient? (Pronounced whuff-em?) Kinda bland.

“Intel Inside”?

Yippie-ki-yo!

« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 01:39:20 PM by Fury deBongo »
This Must Be The Place

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 08:10:17 AM »
Let me guess... a pitcher of Bloody Marys for breakfast??? Haha! ;D

Edelbrock Headers, Hurst Shifters, STP, Thrush Mufflers, MOON Racing Equipment and other similar “hot-rod” era related logos have recently wafted through my mind.

With this thinking in mind, it MUST have FLAME decals on it's sides!!

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
Re: World’s Fastest MDD & Mille Dinesen
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 09:50:08 AM »
Let me guess... a pitcher of Bloody Marys for breakfast??? Haha! ;D

Alas, no. Previously, a weekly… Sunday morning scheduled event. :(

An “older-minded” friend, told tale of an extra, tail-pipe mounted spark plug… with an intermittent switch that allowed ignition of extra fuel from an intentionally pre-set, rich-mixtured carburetor. Said it shot a flame out of the tail-pipe for quite a considerable distance, upon demand. (Circa late 1950’s.) Probably trying to get me to blow myself up.

But yes, you're definitely in the same vein with the flames.

Just left Copenhagen. Ja!

Und now I go dark on zee subject and await pics.
This Must Be The Place

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2018, 12:08:24 PM »
Just want to say that the "Worlds fastest etc" MDD got a good 6 hour workout yesterday. Configuration of some new Macintosh Garden stuff coming in the near future. Used the MDD to do the remote work to set everything up regarding this service. It didn't once get hotter than 40C (that's 104F for you foreigners) despite continuos heavy use and of course running at 2ghz. The PowerPC 7447 sure is a nice chip :)

Can't wait for the copper heatsink to get here! Really curious to see how much the CPU temperature will drop.
Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

macStuff

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 04:02:09 PM »

is this the one? (that you solder-tweaked)
sorry i didnt read the entire thread
just scanned the page quickly

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2018, 08:41:57 PM »
Just want to say that the "Worlds fastest etc" MDD got a good 6 hour workout yesterday. Configuration of some new Macintosh Garden stuff coming in the near future. Used the MDD to do the remote work to set everything up regarding this service. It didn't once get hotter than 40C (that's 104F for you foreigners) despite continuos heavy use and of course running at 2ghz. The PowerPC 7447 sure is a nice chip :)

Can't wait for the copper heatsink to get here! Really curious to see how much the CPU temperature will drop.
Hey Knez, I really want to know how you came up with 40C.
My "could be just as fast MDD" Sonnet MDX has always cruised at a far-more-typical 50-52ish C with the stock Sonnet sink & fan as measured with Bresink's Temperature Monitor software.
40C is waaay under the working average for any PPC chip and sounds virtually impossible for one overclocked at 2GHz.
Where are you taking this temp from? If it's from pointing a probe at the heatsink, that might explain it but I cannot see any way for any chip to fly at that speed and barely break a 104F sweat as you describe.

Pleeze to 'splain Lucy…

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 02:19:54 AM »

is this the one? (that you solder-tweaked)
sorry i didnt read the entire thread
just scanned the page quickly

Yes, that's the one. I have been messing around with both the 1.6ghz and 1.8ghz MDX. The 1.8ghz one is what's running at 2ghz in my MDD now.

Hey Knez, I really want to know how you came up with 40C.
My "could be just as fast MDD" Sonnet MDX has always cruised at a far-more-typical 50-52ish C with the stock Sonnet sink & fan as measured with Bresink's Temperature Monitor software.
40C is waaay under the working average for any PPC chip and sounds virtually impossible for one overclocked at 2GHz.
Where are you taking this temp from? If it's from pointing a probe at the heatsink, that might explain it but I cannot see any way for any chip to fly at that speed and barely break a 104F sweat as you describe.

Pleeze to 'splain Lucy…

Explanation in progress ;)

40C is measured with iStat Menus in Leopard while I had Leopard Webkit, Word, a Terminal with two SSH sessions, Spotify and some other stuff running at the same time over the course of 5-6 hours. Not with a heat probe or anything like that. Just the built in CPU temperature sensors.

It's not using stock MDX cooling to get down to those temperatures, though. I removed the MDX heatsink and put the stock MDD thick aluminium heatsink on, as well as some Arctic Silver thermal paste. It makes all the difference in the world. With the stock MDX heatsink and small fan I get 53-56C in the same room with the MDD case closed. So the heatsink actually makes all the difference. Hopefully the temperature will come down a bit more, or at least not have a wider spectra with a copper heatsink.

So switch your MDX heatsink to a stock MDD one and have a go :). No idea what the temperatures will be in Mac OS 9 though, probably a bit hotter. Is there anything I can monitor the CPU temperature with in Mac OS 9?

EDIT:
Forgot to talk about ambient temperature in the room. All tests have been done with an ambient room temperature of ~20C.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 04:17:26 AM by Knezzen »

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 02:57:25 PM »
So switch your MDX heatsink to a stock MDD one and have a go :). No idea what the temperatures will be in Mac OS 9 though, probably a bit hotter. Is there anything I can monitor the CPU temperature with in Mac OS 9?
I will absolutely do that! I'll let you know what happens.

Also, despite my long, best efforts, I have never found anything that will read MDD temp in OS9. There's a control strip package called "Jeremy's xxxxxxx" (utilities? accessories? can't remember) that works on QS and such but fails on the MDD.

Offline Daniel

• Gold Member
  • Programmer, Hacker, Thinker
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2018, 03:55:58 PM »
PowerMacInfo might work. Unfortunately, it doesn't give me any units to the 'Processor Junction Temperature' measurement when I run it on a Pismo. It might be hard to interpret the results

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
Re: WFM
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2018, 04:38:42 PM »
So switch your MDX heatsink to a stock MDD one and have a go :).
Hey Gary. Need a stock MDD heatsink? Wafer-thin-finned, or the thick-aluminum variety? I'll send one your way. LMK
This Must Be The Place

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2018, 05:54:49 PM »
Thanks F but I'm good. I have all three kinds on the shelf.

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2018, 12:40:23 AM »
Thanks F but I'm good. I have all three kinds on the shelf.

Great! Put a copper heatsink on it :)

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2018, 06:54:00 PM »
Also, despite my long, best efforts, I have never found anything that will read MDD temp in OS9. There's a control strip package called "Jeremy's xxxxxxx" (utilities? accessories? can't remember) that works on QS and such but fails on the MDD.

Out of curiosity, that "Jeremy CSM Bundle" Temperature Control Strip Module, which we discussed 3 years ago, is working well at my MDD (single). http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=1225.0 is it really not working at your MDD? Or did you try another version?

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2018, 09:47:43 PM »
No, it won't work for me. I suspect it's because I have the Sonnet 1.8gHz hotrod CPU. It uses 7447's.