Author Topic: eMac 1.25GHz/ATI 9200 freezes when the loading bar is almost full  (Read 3720 times)

Offline superlions16

• long-time certified Man(tm)
So, with the OF hacks that were used to boot into 9.2.2 on unsupported hardware, I was able to load it to my hard drive (WD1600AAJB) with the .iso that was the Unsupported G4s version, and not the universal. But when the loading bar gets almost full, it freezes and I can't move the cursor around. Can someone please help? I'm totally hoping I could get 9.2 on my eMac.
commands used:

dev /cpus/PowerPC,G4@0
80010201 encode-int " cpu-version" property
boot hd:,\\:tbxi

Offline MacOS Plus

• Gold Member
  • The 9serve Lives!
Re: eMac 1.25GHz/ATI 9200 freezes when the loading bar is almost full
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 06:26:24 PM »
  There are a few things you can try when getting a late freeze:

1. Although you shouldn't have to do it for your machine, seeing as you won't need multiprocessing you can remove the occasionally troublesome "Apple CPU Plugins" file from the "Multiprocessing" folder in the system folder.  I don't think this is related to your problem since you are getting far into the boot.

2. On multiple machines of mine the first-time boot would freeze just at the point it was bringing up the desktop.  What happens is that Setup Assistant fails without a message, but you can continue by force-quitting it.

3. On second boot on one of my machines it then froze on the ATI Rage extension which was not valid for my later ATI card.  Removing that fixed the final freeze.  (The ATI drivers in this ASR 9.2.2 installer are not the final versions anyway.)  Given your system has ATI 9200-based graphics you don't need the Rage extension anyway.

4. Another possible candidate, in my experience, is AppleShare.  Removing related extensions may help.

Try booting without any extensions loading (hold Shift key or move the files first by temporarily attaching the drive to another computer).  There's a fair chance it will reach the desktop that way, after which you can start adding stuff back in progressively to see which extensions play nice.  Some basic extensions generally are still required to complete a basic boot, so if you've manually removed all extensions you can add back specifically what it asks for one at a time as it sequentially throws errors complaining about the missing extensions.

Offline darthnVader

• Platinum Member
Re: eMac 1.25GHz/ATI 9200 freezes when the loading bar is almost full
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 04:28:06 PM »
You know OS 9 has an Extension Manager:

Just hold the space bar while booting the system. You can setup custom extension sets, turn "All Off" "OS 9 Base". Lots of options, and it will disable Control Panels too. ;D