Author Topic: Sherlock 2 Network Error  (Read 3755 times)

Offline Canned Brain

• Enthusiast Member
  • Complaint Point of the Galactic Confederation
Sherlock 2 Network Error
« on: December 22, 2017, 06:38:32 AM »
Dear Mac Friends,

Sherlock 2 on my Mac OS 9.2.2 machine keeps telling me it's got a Network Error anytime I try to search on the Web. Is there a cure for it?

Merry Christmas,
Canned Brain
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
(George Orwell)

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
Re: Sherlock 2 Network Error
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 08:54:18 AM »
Old Henny Youngman joke:

A man goes to his doctor complaining of pain. “Doctor, doctor, it hurts when I do this!”

The doctor says, “Then don’t do that!”

Don’t know about everyone else, but I stopped using Sherlock quite a long time ago. Don’t care for anything “polling” my drive(s) that might contribute to possible conflicts arising between different operating systems/files on different drives… or, in the more specific case of OS 9 and OS X residing on the same single drive… as many perhaps still do.

There are numerous (better), alternative web search-engines available and Sherlock might be best left to searching only on your machine alone… if at all.

But yes, Sherlock is missed around here…

“Sherlock was replaced by Spotlight and Dashboard in Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger, although Apple continued to include it with the default installation. Since most of the standard plug-ins for Sherlock provided by Apple itself no longer function, it was officially retired and removed in the release of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard in 2007.” - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherlock_(software)

Sorry, not better news for you... maybe someone else here may provide "otherwise".
This Must Be The Place

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
Re: Sherlock 2 Network Error
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 01:48:33 PM »
True dat. Sherlock depended on a dedicated server network to perform functions outside of the machine it was running on.

It IS still useful for indexing everything on your OS9 drive however. Once the entire drive is indexed (which will take quite a while the first time, so you might want to just do it overnight) it will operate much like Spotlight in OSX.