Author Topic: Can someone help me identify this software?  (Read 5987 times)

Offline MusicWorks

• Enthusiast Member
Can someone help me identify this software?
« on: December 09, 2017, 03:34:22 AM »
Hi guys,

Could any of you help me find out which software appears in this screenshots?

Many thanks!

- MusicWorks

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
Re: Can someone help me identify this software?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 03:45:21 AM »
thats pro tools

Offline MusicWorks

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 03:47:23 AM »
Can you confirm if this is version 5?

Never got past version 4.0 myself

Thanks!

macStuff

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 07:07:58 AM »
you are free to download the pro tools FREE version that has been here for download for the last 3-4 years ;)

why dont u just install it? it lets u use the built in audio in/out to record, no digi hardware required
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 07:42:19 AM by macStuff »

macStuff

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 07:43:37 AM »
wait - arent u the guy who just posted the treasure trove of pro tools software for sale? lol
yet u dont know the screenshot is pro tools?

Offline MusicWorks

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 09:40:41 AM »
It did seem like Pro Tools however the colour scheme threw me off :)

Old PT is not very colourful, maybe some primaries...

I will now post the original video to divert attention from my mistake xD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbMDz3Xgaks

Mac OS 9 in action!!!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 09:55:54 AM by MusicWorks »

Offline MacOS Plus

• Gold Member
  • The 9serve Lives!
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 10:03:31 AM »
  With almost all certainty it is Pro Tools, probably version 5.x or a late 4.x, rather than Deck.  It's near impossible to differentiate from those particular images.  The vintage of that early ADC monitor variant would suggest a Quicksilver G4 or maybe early MDD host machine, which might help date the scene.  There is an 888 I/O in the rack, which if it were clear an image enough to tell it was the original 16-bit model, would likely imply pre-Mix type PCI host cards and therefore isolating an 'official' software release to a 4.0 through 4.2.  If it was on Mix type PCI hardware using the old 888 variant then it would be next to impossible to tell if it was version 5.x, especially considering there's an unofficial way to run 5.0.x on PTIII cards.  Given the presumed relative age of the host machine it is almost certainly Mix PCI hardware, especially given that a former workplace of mine already had all Mix hardware in beige host machines running 4.x software at the time (and, wow, come to think of it, that was like 20 years ago now for me!  Time flies...).

That's as much as I can help from what little specific detail is in those video captures.  Who is the artist, BTW?

Offline MusicWorks

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2017, 10:10:21 AM »
  With almost all certainty it is Pro Tools, probably version 5.x or a late 4.x, rather than Deck.  It's near impossible to differentiate from those particular images.  The vintage of that early ADC monitor variant would suggest a Quicksilver G4 or maybe early MDD host machine, which might help date the scene.  There is an 888 I/O in the rack, which if it were clear an image enough to tell it was the original 16-bit model, would likely imply pre-Mix type PCI host cards and therefore isolating an 'official' software release to a 4.0 through 4.2.  If it was on Mix type PCI hardware using the old 888 variant then it would be next to impossible to tell if it was version 5.x, especially considering there's an unofficial way to run 5.0.x on PTIII cards.  Given the presumed relative age of the host machine it is almost certainly Mix PCI hardware, especially given that a former workplace of mine already had all Mix hardware in beige host machines running 4.x software at the time (and, wow, come to think of it, that was like 20 years ago now for me!  Time flies...).

That's as much as I can help from what little specific detail is in those video captures.  Who is the artist, BTW?

Wow, you have quite an eye! By looking at the rack I can see two Apogee AD-8000 which were in turn connected to the PT 5 cards (probably Mix system yep). Don't you just love The Cardigans :)

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 06:26:29 AM »
Don't you just love The Cardigans :)

Yes I do. They put on a great live show.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it, or break it so you can fix it!