Author Topic: USB development kits  (Read 3619 times)

macStuff

USB development kits
« on: November 25, 2017, 12:12:12 PM »
http://www.staticky.com/mirrors/ftp.apple.com/developer/Development_Kits/Mac_OS_USB/

heres your chance to try to implement USB 2.0!
i think thats what this is anyway ;)
obviously the hardware is capable (with a usb 2.0 pci card or cardbus/pcmcia or whatever?)
remember steve jobs did everything he could to downplay the g4 in order to sell G5s!
to the point of holding a funeral so everyone with an iq of 2 or higher would udnerstand that mac os 9 is DEAD!!
i bet he would rollover in HIS grave if someone got usb2.0 working on a g4!

ftp.apple.com/developer/Development_Kits/Mac_OS_USB/USB_DDK_1.5.5f1.img.sea.hqx
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 04:00:48 PM by macStuff »

Offline teroyk

• Platinum Member
  • -
Re: USB development kits
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 08:11:08 AM »

Offline Naiw

• Veteran Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 08:32:06 AM »
Unfortunately I think USB2 support would be quite difficult, it requires changes at a much lower level than the USB SDK provides. But of course nothing is impossible even if it means an alternative USB implementation.

Offline Daniel

• Gold Member
  • Programmer, Hacker, Thinker
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 09:00:44 AM »
The good news is that it looks like all USB 2 devices and cards use EHCI. If you get 2.0 working on one PCI card, it probably won't be too hard to get it working on other cards too.

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 08:01:29 AM »
Unfortunately I think USB2 support would be quite difficult, it requires changes at a much lower level than the USB SDK provides. But of course nothing is impossible even if it means an alternative USB implementation.

This is very much so correct.  The SDK is for utilizing the existing bus implementation.  You would need to implement an entire bus before even allowing use of anything utilizing the SDK. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this one.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it, or break it so you can fix it!

Offline teroyk

• Platinum Member
  • -
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 02:54:47 PM »
You would need to implement an entire bus before even allowing use of anything utilizing the SDK. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this one.

Yes you are correct, it's even start from detecting card from PCI-bus (it doesn't matter if its on chip motherboard or PCMCIA). Thats why I put that link above. Then you have to know how use that chip on card. Thats why second link above. Then you have to make driver. There is one hard part still left. You have to make driver to look like USB-port drivers is now in OS9 if you don't want program all drivers for USB-devices. Thats why there is 3rd link. Making new driver is not easy task, but it just need lot of time to get hands dirty with low level programming.