Author Topic: Super slow when I plug in a USB thumb drive  (Read 3233 times)

Offline flyingtheshed

• Newcomer
Super slow when I plug in a USB thumb drive
« on: November 21, 2017, 12:47:11 PM »
I am running 9.1
Every time I have to plug a thumb drive in the computer takes up to 5 minutes to recognize it. I have zap the PRAM, rebuilt the desktop folder and am at a loss. Once I do those things and restart, it acts ok for about 15 minutes, but as soon as it goes into low power mode it returns to super slow. I have to transfer back from OS 9 to another computer (OS 10.6.8) so it is hindering my work.  Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
Re: Super slow when I plug in a USB thumb drive
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 01:44:17 PM »
As with most first posts here, concerning anything… very little machine and specific configuration info is provided. What machine are you using? How is it configured? (RAM, cards installed, etc.)

First, what version of USB is the thumb drive? Second, was it initially formatted using the machine you’re trying to access it with? Third, why aren’t you running OS 9.2.2?

With limited info, I’d first suggest reformatting the thumb drive using the 9.1 machine. Then, if possible… I’d also update system software to OS 9.2.2 (if not doing this first).

See the following for USB version differences: http://techdracula.com/difference-between-usb-1-0-usb-1-1-usb-2-0-usb-3-0-usb-3-1-usb-type-c/

G4s are USB 1.1 / but with an additional card, I know that (at least), USB 2.0 read/write transfer rates are achieveable. Of course, you may already know all of this but I’m just ‘shooting from the hip’ here… not knowing more about your machine or specific file types.

AND, with the slowdown in “low power mode”… you may have some other concern(s) as well.

Good luck.
This Must Be The Place

Offline flyingtheshed

• Newcomer
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 07:25:15 PM »
As it turns out, I believe it is more related to going into low power...
Mac G4 Desktop, 16GB RAM / OS 9.1 / VIRTUAL MEMORY ON / USB CARD INSTALLED FOR (4) ADDITIONAL PORTS

I set the Energy Saver to "NEVER" in the control panel and it appears to work as it should. I would however like to understand what could be causing the going into low power mode has to do with it. Its like trying to wake up a sleepy teenager...

You ask about why 9.1 vs 9.2.2. I am using a no longer made software "Flexisign Pro" v 6.6 v1 that does not seem to like 9.2.2 for some reason. It also requires a Dongle (Key) to run.  The software was $4k so that is why I'm still in the OS9 world.

Thanks for your help.

macStuff

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 08:10:44 PM »
you have 16GB ram on Mac os 9?
are you sure you didnt mean 1GB?  ;D

Mac G4 Desktop is a start.. but doesnt provide detail enough to allow anyone the chance to fully exploit their expertise to actually assist or theorize.

there are many different versions of g4 desktops G4's are divided into : sawtooth, gigabit ethernet, Digital audio, Quicksilvers + MDDs; perhaps u may be able to distinguish which of these u are using.

Offline ovalking

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 03:37:32 AM »
I sometimes see USB memory taking ages to appear, but have been unable to identify a pattern.
Is it a problem with this specific USB device or all USB devices?
If the former have you tried a disk repair utility?

macStuff

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 07:45:13 AM »
if u are wanting to use macos9..
time to invest in firewire drives
and or firewire compact flash
and/or firewire zip drive!

or you could skip firewire + use gigabit ethernet networked drives like i do!