Author Topic: Opcode 4.22 68k Fatbinary install - 'type 1 error on launch'  (Read 4608 times)

Offline Syn-Fi

• Veteran Member
  • Quadra 700, G4 MDD, Mac mini
Opcode 4.22 68k Fatbinary install - 'type 1 error on launch'
« on: October 30, 2017, 02:16:29 AM »
hi,

i installed the 'fat' version of StudioVision and it started up the once but never again.  Now i keep getting 'type error 1' when i try to launch and it seems to crash at the point it checks out 'quicktime'.  I have trashed the install and OMS but it makes no difference and neither does removing quicktime.

Any ideas?

840av, studio 5lx and audiomedia ii.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 02:37:20 AM by Syn-Fi »

Offline Syn-Fi

• Veteran Member
Re: Opcode 4.22 68k Fatbinary install
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 02:36:56 AM »
*SOLVED*

Go to preferences and trash the opcode preferences file

/systems folder/preferences/Studio Vision 4.2 Prefs

macStuff

Re: Opcode 4.22 68k Fatbinary install - 'type 1 error on launch'
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 07:38:00 AM »
nicely done  8)
what was the advantage, i wonder, of using FAT filesystem https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table
instead of HFS/Mac format https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HFS_Plus

or have i misunderstood?? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat_binary
Apple's fat binary
A fat-binary scheme smoothed the Apple Macintosh's transition, beginning in 1994, from 68k microprocessors to PowerPC microprocessors. Many applications for the old platform ran transparently on the new platform under an evolving emulation scheme, but emulated code generally runs slower than native code. Applications released as "fat binaries" took up more storage space, but they ran at full speed on either platform. This was achieved by packaging both a 68000-compiled version and a PowerPC-compiled version of the same program into their executable files. The older 68K code (CFM-68K or classic 68K) continued to be stored in the resource fork, while the newer PowerPC code was contained in the data fork, in PEF format.[1]

Fat binaries were larger than programs supporting only the PowerPC or 68k, which led to the creation of a number of utilities that would strip out the unneeded version. In the era of small hard drives, when 80 MB hard drives were a common size, these utilities were sometimes useful as program code was generally a large percentage of overall drive usage.

nice retro rig you have there! sound-tools capable

Offline Syn-Fi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 08:59:39 AM »
hi its apple fat binary and the Opcode v4 that works on 68k the rest 4.5 only works on PPC.

As for my rig i'm getting there.  I recapped my 840av the other day and improved the grounding.

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 10:55:31 AM »
Fat binary is an Application format. FAT is windows file system less capable than Macintosh HFS.
Please don't PM about things that are not private.