Author Topic: What is the max theoretical disk throughput on a PM 7600?  (Read 2841 times)

Offline ziggy29

• Enthusiast Member
What is the max theoretical disk throughput on a PM 7600?
« on: October 21, 2017, 12:51:55 PM »
I'm just curious.  I have a super souped up Power Mac 7600 with a lot of upgrades -- maxed out RAM (1 GB), maxed out CPU (Sonnet Crescendo G4/1 GHz), Radeon 9200 PCI Graphics (128 MB VRAM), USB/FW card (USB is 2.0 speed in OS X) and a Sonnet Tempo HD PCI card that has an mSATA drive in an IDE adapter mounted on the card.  It also connects to an external, 250 GB, 7200 RPM ATA/133 HDD.  I'm posting with it now.  Gotta love a site designed to play nicely with Classilla!

I can't max out much more short of getting an 8600 or 9600 carcass and getting more PCI slots. 

Anyway.... I was wondering what the max theroetical disk throughput is on this model.  In its current configuration the system bus is running at 50 MHz (this board can run at 40-50 MHz depending on the CPU to determine the multiplier, as far as I know).  I am using Intech's QuickBench 2.0 in my OS 8/9 partitions (I have 7 systems ranging from 7.6.1 to Tiger installed) and testing on my two internal drives -- one an mSATA and the other a larger external IDE. 

On the mSATA drive I am hitting a ceiling at around 34 MB/sec.  On the spinner I am getting around 28-29 MB/sec.  (By comparison, using the 4.5 GB SCSI Quantum Viking drive that came with this computer when I bought it, I have been getting around 8.5 to 8.8 MB/sec.)

When I run the OS X version of QuickBench 4.0 under Tiger, I'm doing worse -- around 23-24 MB/sec at best on the mSATA drive. 

So I am wondering -- anyone know what the theoretical limit is for this motherboard?  I'm not going to spend hundreds of dollars chasing a bit of a performance upgrade on a hobby machine, but I am curious.  I suspect I'm close to hitting the practical limit -- I can't imagine a SATA card would help much as I'm pretty sure the bus, not ATA/133, is the bottleneck here.   

Offline ziggy29

• Enthusiast Member
Re: What is the max theoretical disk throughput on a PM 7600?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 12:54:52 PM »
Double post, sorry.  Mods please feel free to delete this one.