Author Topic: Suggestion for graphics card  (Read 12238 times)

Offline flemmingsa

Re: Suggestion for graphics card
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2017, 01:16:12 AM »
Success! Did a fresh install and downloaded stuffit 7. This time I downloaded the driver from howfunkel.com on the actual Powermac 7600 via Internet explorer and it unstuffed as it was supposed to. Previously I downloaded the driver on my OS X machine and transferred via network browser, as I have done with everything else without problems...

This is what happens when you grow and start to attract a lot of people who are new to the Forum and the OS.
Unless you already know from experience, you don't expect a problem with a compressed file. Why? Because it a friggin' MAC. Everything is supposed to be ridiculously one-click easy! Until you experience it, you don't know a resource fork from a spoon.
Spot on! I am new to OS9!

When I said "find another computer if you have to" I meant another OS9-capable one.
Here's a better idea. I downloaded the driver file from howfunkel to test.
I had no problem at all unstuffing (actually un-binhexing) the ATI file in Stuffit Expander.
Go to Macintosh Garden and download Stuffit standard 7.03 which contains Expander. Install that and try again.
As everybody said, you MUST do this in OS9. Unstuffing it in any other OS will f**k it up.
Ohh... Newbie mistake  :-[

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2017, 01:41:05 AM »
This is what happens when you grow and start to attract a lot of people who are new to the Forum and the OS.

because he is new to the OS others suppose he runs OSX on a 7300? :)

Unstuffing it in any other OS will f**k it up.

i wonder if you ever tried that. i unstuff files under OSX since many years. you only have to be careful how to transfer them to the OS9 machine. unstuffing itself does not destroy anything at all.

insert arbitrary signature here

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2017, 03:28:48 PM »
because he is new to the OS others suppose he runs OSX on a 7300? :)
As usual, I have NO idea what the hell you're talking about.
The only person who even mentioned OSX anywhere in this thread is you.
Unstuffing it in any other OS will f**k it up.

i wonder if you ever tried that. i unstuff files under OSX since many years. you only have to be careful how to transfer them to the OS9 machine. unstuffing itself does not destroy anything at all.
Perhaps you can do us all the fine favor or writing an essay on the processes and pitfalls of handling split-fork files in foreign environments so we can just add it to the knowledge base and refer other "newbies" to it. That way, we won't have to worry about having to explain over and over the finer points of exactly when and how they get separated / damaged and risk starting yet another discussion among ourselves because someone isn't happy about some little detail being technically incorrect.

Make sure you include all of the different OS's and OS versions and file types and why app files are more vulnerable than data files and exactly what one must do to successfully preserve the file integrity when handling them in those different environments after they've been un-binhexed and or unstuffed and the differences between Binhex and Stuffing in general.

Eventually you may begin to understand why I simply said "Unstuffing it in any other OS will f**k it up"

Or, we can continue to debate this ad nauseum…

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2017, 10:32:40 AM »
Eventually you may begin to understand why I simply said "Unstuffing it in any other OS will f**k it up"

Or, we can continue to debate this ad nauseum…

I kinda subscribe to this approach also... it is much simpler to tell newbies, "unstuff only in OS9",  or "Don't mount OS9 volumes in OSX", or, "Don't add too many PCI cards in your G4 if you are recording Audio"... some will get angry and want to know a "reason why" and some are legitimately interested in the nuts and bolts of things, for those that function on the later, they can do research on their own (even search this forum) for old topics, we have many of the "reasons why" already debated.  Lastly, if our worldly advise does not make sense or does not work for someone who has specific needs, then self-learning is an option, we can only express what we have discovered via experience and try to save time for others :)

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2017, 07:21:20 PM »
yeah and we might also add "be careful not to drink your coffee too hot", which is also a great tip - just not not releated the original problem. :)

first of all, Mac OS 9 is the only operating system which ships with stuffit included.

and the OP was already at this point: "I downloaded the driver from www.howfunkel.com but stuffit expander won’t unstuff the file. At least not under mac os 9.1"

i see no reason why someone should assume that he might have tried anything else first in line.

GaryN wrote:
The only person who even mentioned OSX anywhere in this thread is you.

flemmingsa wrote:
I tried to unstuff it on my intel mac (sierra). Unstuffed fine, but when transferred to the 7600 the file was not recognized...

sierra == OSX. the rest is shadowboxing.

the first one who mentioned OSX was the OP. the others ones were those who mentioned that all other OSes except OS9 wont work.

which is 1. not correct and 2. doesnt fix his problem on OS9 since he didnt make it using OS9 either.

meanwhile our favorite guy talks about something releated to hxq, which isnt releated to the unstuffing problem of the OP at all.

pretty confusing if you ask me. :)
insert arbitrary signature here

macStuff

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2018, 08:31:58 AM »
heres some pics of the radeon 7000 64mb card type that i got from someone (who i think got from ebay?)
and the original VGA only green PCB 32mb version

for some reason i had nothing but problems with the DVI/VGA one shown here
i have a strong suspicion that the green PCB 32mb version would work without issue
(when used on a B+W G3 or Yikes! G4)

yet another example of when "better is not best"

macStuff

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2018, 08:38:16 AM »
Can anyone guide me in the right direction if i want to put a new graphics card i the last available PCI slot?
Preferably with adc connector so I can use my 20" Apple cinema display.

Flemming
Denmark

just noticed this tidbit on the OP
was there ever a PCI graphics card with an ADC Slot? i dont think that combination is possible
unless u were to use some type of ADC converter
http://lowendmac.com/2016/the-apple-display-connector-adc/
is that the one that is very expensive?

according to this image u can down-convert signals from a video card putting out ADC to a VGA monitor; but i dont think it works the other way  (ie: PCI VGA to ADC monitor??)

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2018, 09:06:43 AM »
 There are Psu for ADC monitores than allow DVI input
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2018, 10:40:21 PM »
Exactly, an external Power Supply (not very cheap) is needed...

The Dr Bott Stuff is the most common

[youtube]B1dW6K3pviU[/youtube]