Author Topic: Suggestion for graphics card  (Read 12244 times)

Offline flemmingsa

Suggestion for graphics card
« on: October 16, 2017, 03:08:47 AM »
Hi! New user here!

I have a power macintosh 7600 upgraded with IDE drive, Steinberg st24/96 audio and 144 mb ram. I use it for MESA, Rebirth, Sound Diver, B4, Pro-52 and FM7. No gaming :-)
Can anyone guide me in the right direction if i want to put a new graphics card i the last available PCI slot?
Preferably with adc connector so I can use my 20" Apple cinema display.

Flemming
Denmark

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
Re: Suggestion for graphics card
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 05:48:37 PM »
It generally agreed that the best option for a 7600 is the  ATI Radeon 7000 Mac Edition

You get DVI and VGA outs. Results with a big Cinema are anybody's guess though. You may not be able to get a full image in that aspect ratio, but it should at least work. Should be cheap on fleabay.

Offline flemmingsa

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 01:44:43 AM »

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 02:26:23 PM »
As far as I know, it will work.
9.2.2 is only required for full 3D acceleration which is irrelevant on a 7600.

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 04:15:11 PM »
Will this work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Mac-G4-G5-ATI-Radeon-7000-PCI-64MB-Video-Card-DVI-VGA-S-Video-TV-Out-OS9-/200710223413?hash=item2ebb42f635:m:mosu41F9PFEhHQf6EhSbdGA

Seller states it needs os 9.2.2. Max for the 7600 is 9.1

Flemming
Denmark

Upfront info this is a flashed pc card. I bought from that seller too. Works fine but you dont see anything until the drivers are loaded and activated.

Offline flemmingsa

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 01:59:53 PM »
Ok. Thanks for the info. I’ll give it a go and let you know how it goes.

Offline flemmingsa

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 02:40:52 PM »
Hi All

I received the card but Unfortunately, i can’t make it work...
I downloaded the driver from www.howfunkel.com but stuffit expander won’t unstuff the file. At least not under mac os 9.1.
So instead i downloaded the radeon 7000 mac edition drivers from another site but the card is not recognized...
As devils_advisor said, it’s a flashed pc card. Shouldn’t that work with the mac edition driver?
I can see the card in system profiler, but when running the ATI display software, i get a message that ni ati hardware i present.

Any ideas?

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2017, 02:56:27 PM »
Get that driver the won't unstuff…unstuffed somehow. Find another computer to unstuff it on it you have to.

Then if it still doesn't work, turn it into a hi-tech doorstop and find the correct card.

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2017, 04:19:35 PM »
Hi All

I received the card but Unfortunately, i can’t make it work...
I downloaded the driver from www.howfunkel.com but stuffit expander won’t unstuff the file. At least not under mac os 9.1.
So instead i downloaded the radeon 7000 mac edition drivers from another site but the card is not recognized...
As devils_advisor said, it’s a flashed pc card. Shouldn’t that work with the mac edition driver?
I can see the card in system profiler, but when running the ATI display software, i get a message that ni ati hardware i present.

Any ideas?

let me check the machine i put the card in im sure i got what you need. but i would go for the 8500 drivers anyway that way you get the ati menu on the top right working too.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2017, 01:49:04 AM »
the cards of these days were the voodoo ones, but of course they dont have the ADC you are looking for.

the cheapest ones were the cards from gravis and village tronic - with no 3D options but 2 or 3 VGA outputs.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline flemmingsa

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2017, 03:37:08 AM »
let me check the machine i put the card in im sure i got what you need. but i would go for the 8500 drivers anyway that way you get the ati menu on the top right working too.
Thanks, I will try a clean install and the 8500 driver as well.

the cards of these days were the voodoo ones, but of course they dont have the ADC you are looking for.

the cheapest ones were the cards from gravis and village tronic - with no 3D options but 2 or 3 VGA outputs
Ok. I can live without ADC, since I have the dvi adaptor for my cinema display.

Get that driver the won't unstuff…unstuffed somehow. Find another computer to unstuff it on it you have to.

Then if it still doesn't work, turn it into a hi-tech doorstop and find the correct card
:) I tried to unstuff it on my intel mac (sierra). Unstuffed fine, but when transferred to the 7600 the file was not recognized...

macStuff

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2017, 11:15:11 AM »
i have to say to anyone who hasnt yet bought an radeon -
if u want to save yourself a massive amount of headaches..

personally i would
SKIP the 9200 radeons
SKIP the 7000 radeons

if you want no bugs and no hassles...
if u need PCI, buy an original green PCB radeon 7000 (with white printed radeon circular logo printed on it) or if u have AGP, use a Radeon 8500.

these will always work, i have bought one of these radeon 7000 cards from howfunkel or whatever and
i had alot of headaches with it for whatever reason.. regardless of what the details are..
i bought a real radeon 7000 pci for mac and i never had a single bug or problem with it.

Offline ovalking

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2017, 12:48:56 PM »
I downloaded the driver from www.howfunkel.com but stuffit expander won’t unstuff the file.

Stuffit Expander 5.5 worked for me (OS8.1)

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2017, 01:57:00 PM »
Quote from: flemmingsa link=topic=4032.msg27558#mse=1509968228
Thanks, I will try a clean install and the 8500 driver as well.

the cheapest ones were the cards from gravis and village tronic - with no 3D options but 2 or 3 VGA outputs
Ok. I can live without ADC, since I have the dvi adaptor for my cinema display.

Then if it still doesn't work, turn it into a hi-tech doorstop and find the correct card
:) I tried to unstuff it on my intel mac (sierra). Unstuffed fine, but when transferred to the 7600 the file was not recognized...

dont unstuff it in osx you get rid of the resource fork.

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2017, 01:58:35 PM »
i have to say to anyone who hasnt yet bought an radeon -
if u want to save yourself a massive amount of headaches..

personally i would
SKIP the 9200 radeons
SKIP the 7000 radeons

if you want no bugs and no hassles...
if u need PCI, buy an original green PCB radeon 7000 (with white printed radeon circular logo printed on it) or if u have AGP, use a Radeon 8500.

these will always work, i have bought one of these radeon 7000 cards from howfunkel or whatever and
i had alot of headaches with it for whatever reason.. regardless of what the details are..
i bought a real radeon 7000 pci for mac and i never had a single bug or problem with it.

i bought one of his cards and it works like it should.  Never had problems.  As a matter of fact i used it to make a video with that machine.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2017, 04:09:58 PM »
When I said "find another computer if you have to" I meant another OS9-capable one.
Here's a better idea. I downloaded the driver file from howfunkel to test.
I had no problem at all unstuffing (actually un-binhexing) the ATI file in Stuffit Expander.
Go to Macintosh Garden and download Stuffit standard 7.03 which contains Expander. Install that and try again.
As everybody said, you MUST do this in OS9. Unstuffing it in any other OS will f**k it up.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 07:16:52 PM by GaryN »

macStuff

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2017, 04:25:16 PM »
if you are having problems properly decoding an HQX file,
you should try using the BinHex4.0 app
https://www.macintoshrepository.org/479-binhex-4-0
which as far as i know was known for opening files that other apps  (such as Stuffit Expander) could not

users were directed to do so back in the day by seeing the message:
 "This file must be converted with BinHex 4.0"

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2017, 08:55:57 PM »
why does every thread here turn into a discussion about unarchiving, is that the new version of godwins law?

do you guys really think the OP has OSX on his PM 7600?
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2017, 08:32:51 AM »
why does every thread here turn into a discussion about unarchiving, is that the new version of godwins law?

do you guys really think the OP has OSX on his PM 7600?
This is what happens when you grow and start to attract a lot of people who are new to the Forum and the OS.
Unless you already know from experience, you don't expect a problem with a compressed file. Why? Because it a friggin' MAC. Everything is supposed to be ridiculously one-click easy! Until you experience it, you don't know a resource fork from a spoon.

Also, he never said he has OSX on a 7600. He has 9.1 in 144Mb of RAM.

This thread is / was about the best possible graphics card for his PM7600.
I told him to find a 7000 Mac Edition. But he got impatient and found…
What else? A flashed PC card. Why… no problem, what could go wrong?

So we're out in the weeds… as usual.  That's OK.   This is a forum and we share and help each other.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 03:44:27 PM by GaryN »

macStuff

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2017, 01:39:11 PM »
its also interesting to note that files on the web archive are given the mime type:
.hqx application/mac-binhex40   
.sea application/octet-stream

so binhex4.0 is the undisputed champion of .hqx