Author Topic: G4 Cube from Time Capsule...  (Read 4558 times)

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
G4 Cube from Time Capsule...
« on: October 12, 2017, 08:25:26 AM »
Haha... nothing to do with the Apple Time Capsule... but a real "Time Capsule."

I just got a cube in with a bunch of stuff I bought site un-seen and it was sealed in a brown box, the label of the seal is dated 06/05/2005, so it has been sealed up for 12 years of dry Southern CA storage.  It is in great shape physically, but I have not had a G4 Cube power supply around for over 10 years... so I just bought of off ebay for $45.  Damn I hate when I don't save something as important as a PS, but I probably sold my last ones off on ebay, I doubt I ewasted them.  Or maybe I have 2 buried in a box in the back. 

At any-rate, I might  do a few things with it like an SSD or something, been years since I gave up on the cubes, but it's cool to have one in the collection again, unfortunately G4 collection is holding at 48 units on shelves, and one G3 Beige Desktop... I have been trying to clean-up this shithole for over a year and I am finding it hard to ewaste the Mac stuff, PC stuff goes to the crusher with a smile  :)  The mac stuff looks like art... Who wants to trash art ?

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
Re: G4 Cube from Time Capsule...
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 07:16:27 AM »
G4 collection is holding at 48 units

That's all???? ;D 

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 08:12:44 AM »
G4 collection is holding at 48 units

That's all???? ;D

Every-time I get rid of a bunch of stuff, I get people dropping off old G4s for ewaste or I end up getting a few as a side effect of buying out college surplus.  I cannot ebay them as they are too heavy to ship, and then I feel bad about parting them out :(

Online Jubadub

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 03:34:26 PM »
Open a G4 "care center" where people can show up to, and buy them off from there. Shipping issue solved.  8)

I certainly would pop up if there is any G4 MDD in there... Assuming it'd be located in the US, possibly an uncle of mine would be able to pick it up. ;D

Perhaps this is the beginning of an addiction many others also are infected with... (:

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 09:50:10 AM »
OK... very sad... tried to order a PS from eBay 2X and received 2 DOA units... both units sounded like "egg shakers" with all sorts of previously attached electrical components rattling around inside.  I am starting to realize, that like the coveted MDD Power Supplies, the Cube Power supplies are getting rare, and expensive :(

So, I will abandon the SSD idea.  I kinda feel bad, since 2006 thru 2008, I would buy tons of cubes and part out working units only so sell their guts at a very good profit.  I am personally responsible for killing dozens of units and I sold off the PS separately (but I guess the parts also fixed many units).  I could really use a PS now though.

It's only 450Mhz, but it would have been cool to take an already quiet unit and SSD it to make it totally silent... oh well

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 06:23:38 PM »
Open a G4 "care center" where people can show up to, and buy them off from there. Shipping issue solved.  8)
G4's-R-Us ?