Author Topic: Bought. SampleCell II Plus card  (Read 11737 times)

Offline sleestack808

• Enthusiast Member
Bought. SampleCell II Plus card
« on: October 11, 2017, 08:15:17 AM »
Running blue G4, and its looking for an ilk I think. The seller assumed I had pro tools?
All he provided was 3 CDs of mostly sounds and the manual.

How do I get this sample ell card activated? Is it a hopeless case? Thanks

Offline sleestack808

• Enthusiast Member
Re: Bought. SampleCell II Plus card
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 01:32:38 PM »
wow, really helpful site

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 01:49:33 PM »
Well some of us have fam and all the good things aka jobs so have some patience.  Not everybody got this card so there might be limited knowledge available.  Did you do your research upfront or just bought it figuring somebody will get you up and running?  All i remember there are some menu options in pro tools to either access the card or write samples as in copy and paste style to the ram on the card.other than that i suggest you read up on it since you got the cds. Or upload them and we figure it out.

http://www.oldschooldaw.com/forums/index.php?topic=681.0
http://archive.digidesign.com/download/legacy/sc2mac/
http://archive.digidesign.com/compato/os9/hw/sc2.html

Best regards

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 03:50:30 PM »
If you insist onto get an answer, I recomend you -in short- that forget about this card. Most of the software samplers are far away from what this card can do.
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

macStuff

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 05:04:21 AM »
this card is actually a great lo-fi sampler, suitable for + perhaps best utilized for percussion sounds because the sound has been likened to that of an akai s612/s900/s950 (12 bit) which are some of the most popular samplers known for being used for drums for hiphop + 90s dance music! and if the sound of a hardware based sampler is what you are after, then a samplecell card is a cheap way to get a software controlled hardware sampler with 8 outputs.

look forward to hearing about your progress learning to use the samplecell II!

dont forget those 4 outputs on the back are stereo TRS outputs!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 05:15:56 AM by macStuff »

Offline sleestack808

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 03:36:45 PM »
Mine only had 4 outs.

I still have it. I want to return it. Its useless to me cause I was unaware of the digidesign bullshit with looks and authorization keys. im so drunk with everything is free in OS9 land that I was taken for a surprise. I have not idea how to get it unlocked.
]The bay seller and me had a bit of a kerfluffle over this. I feel it should of had a warning that the card would need some ilk or something. He asked me if I had pro tools system for my g4 like it was assumed. Uh no..

Plus, midi and moms is kinda buggy on these old Macs. I am going back to using the g4 for what I intended. Sound designer for my mirage and Turwbosynth for loft sounds.

I was almost going to go full hog and use player pro and do it all with g4, but I changed my mind.

Thank you to everyone for the help

Offline Enabler

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 09:55:09 PM »
All SampleCell cards have 8 outputs. Each 1/4 Jack on the card is a stereo pair.
You will need to get a Ring Tip Sleeve stereo to dual mono cable. Like the
Hosa STP-203  http://hosatech.com/product/stp-200/

1) To Load, Edit & configure samples use the free Editor this does not have any copy protection since it only works with SampleCell cards and was included free in the box as well as 2 sample library CD's
http://archive.digidesign.com/download/legacy/sc2mac/

2) You do NOT need to have a ProTools Rig to use SampleCell cards
but for the Mac to see the card you will need to install the Digi System Init Extension
or  just install ProTools 5.1.3 or 5.3.1 for OS9 as it is included.
Here is the link to Dig System Init http://akdownload.digidesign.com/support/digi/mac/dae-dsi/dsi511.hqx

3) To send MIDI to the card you will need to install OMS and scan your system to ad the SampleCell card to the list of devices. Logic Pro is the exception as it has built in support for SampleCell via a special Environment Object. MIDI timing to SampleCell cards is second to none and I wish they didnt leave these cards behind when they moved to OSX :'(

4) Note: Soft SampleCell was a separate product that was a Native host based software sampler that also supported SampleCell cards and requires ilok or Floppy based copy protection. Soft SampleCell allowed you to use up to 1 Gigabyte of your Macs RAM for sample memory.

5) You can use up to 10 SampleCell cards in a PCI expansion chassis
Thats 320 Voices & 320 Megabytes of RAM with no hit to your Macs CPU and No audio latency.
Each card supports 16 MIDI channels and unlimited instruments can be layered or split till the cows come home.

6) If you have a ProTools PCI or Mix system you can send the outputs Digitally using the optional TDM Daughter card & TDM Plugin. If you have the TDM Piggy back board but you don't use a ProTools System then I recommend removing it as it can crash the DigiTest Diagnostic application when its not connected to the TDM bus.

Here is the link to the TDM Plugin Only use this if you have a ProTools TDM system:
http://download.digidesign.com/support/digi/mac/Samplecell/SCTDMPlugin111.sea.hqx

7) To convert AKAI & Roland S-Series sample libraries for use with your SampleCell Card use the OS9 conversion utility Osmosis 1.1 by BitHeadz.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 11:50:09 PM by Enabler »

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 07:06:03 AM »
Hey Enabler... thanks for that reply! I have a few of those cards that came in a Magma chassis. I Haven't tried them yet but at some point I want to experiment with them... I learned a lot about them from your informative post!  ;D

macStuff

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2017, 11:15:35 AM »
it seems Enabler is living up to his namesake, enabling others,
well done  ;D

if only the companies, creators + originators of all these products
would have taken the time + effort to make this information available publicly,
giving respect + honouring those who purchased the cards to continue to use them in the future... it must be a tough industry to survive in, because it seems all the companies rarely provide the level of support that you would wish for or expect

macStuff

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 07:51:40 AM »
can someone please share the samplecell II install CD

Offline Trace-Elliot

• Enthusiast Member
  • brand new member
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2019, 06:38:31 AM »
I bought a Sample Cell 2 Card with the TDM Board .
put it in my extension chassis as the last card in system .
my computer wont start any more  >:(

put the Sample Cell out of my system everything is running normal
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 07:22:28 AM by Trace-Elliot »
tons of Digidesign Hardware and historic apple maschines .... based in germany ...

Offline Irisman

• Veteran Member
  • each day I am older
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2020, 10:26:54 AM »

Here is the link to Dig System Init http://akdownload.digidesign.com/support/digi/mac/dae-dsi/dsi511.hqx

All links are broken actually; I am trying to find the dsi511.hqx without success on the net. Any help?

Thankyou!

Offline paule

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2020, 11:24:58 AM »
Hi Irisman,
I am glad that I can help you out.

Have a nice day!
paule.

Offline Irisman

• Veteran Member
  • each day I am older
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2020, 11:33:57 AM »
Hi Irisman,
I am glad that I can help you out.

Have a nice day!
paule.

Wow! That was faaaast!  Thankyou very much !!

Offline Irisman

• Veteran Member
  • each day I am older
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2020, 04:54:52 PM »
Yes, day was a good one!

A very close friend gifted me a couple of SC cards, and with his help and yours, I end my day with this last image on the monitor.

Waka!