Author Topic: How to set up Fetch 4 to get files from Mac Pro running Snow Leopard?  (Read 4010 times)

Offline coachla

• Veteran Member
I thought I had done this in the past, but now I can't get Fetch 4 on my MDD to connect to my Mac Pro running 10.6 or even 10.5.  Fetch keeps saying password not correct or a variety of refusal alerts. Is there a link on the forum here to get the details on setting up Fetch 4 on OS 9.2.2? What should be the settings on the Mac Pro end? I need use 10.6 which does not support ethernet AFP for OS 9....That is the problem. Thanks in advance...

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
Re: How to set up Fetch 4 to get files from Mac Pro running Snow Leopard?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 08:51:37 PM »
I need use 10.6 which does not support ethernet AFP for OS 9....That is the problem. Thanks in advance...
You're correct. That IS the problem, and there's no simple way around it. There is a crazy method of using a netatalk server daemon like nas4free which evidently works if you can get your head around it though it does require more hardware…OR

The simple method (also requiring more hardware - at least a cheap PPC-running-OSX laptop) is to put a cheap laptop or such running 10.5 or below to act as a "bridge" between the OS9 machine and the 10.6. You "two-step" the files across. It's actually easier that it sounds though it does require you to have booted and have another computer running.

Offline coachla

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 09:19:22 PM »
Hi GaryN.... That is how I used to do it with a second MDD running Tiger, mounting first the Snow Leopard drives there, and then accessing the Tiger MDD from the OS9 MDD. But Fetch should not need AFP as an FTP connection. I can't get Fetch to work on Leopard either, so something is amiss in what I'm doing.

But what is Steve_W talking about here?:

I found the best way to move data on my LAN between machines is to setup my main mac (Late 2014 Mac Mini running El Capitan) as an FTP server, then use Fetch on OS 9 to push or pull files, works great!

I know I did this once in the past but cannot recall how....

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 11:44:06 PM »
Yeah. That's what I was getting at using nas. If you have a local server, you can use Fetch to access files on it. Somebody around here can probably spell it out for you. I've never done it. As I said, I just used a spare OSX-capable laptop (of which I have many - they multiply like cyber roaches) and I can use AFP that way. The bridge shows up as an available drive icon on the OS9 desktop and also on the 10.6 or later unit. I like my way because you don't even need Fetch - you just drag and drop on the icon. The laptop just hands off whatever you dump to it.

macStuff

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 10:45:51 PM »
re:FTP;
did u try PASV mode? :)

re;aFP;
im pretty sure this workaround works for 10.6,
fairly certain i have used it with success before
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT200160
(it says osx lion, my bad)
theres a way to make it work tho i think,
either that or simply not using a password
(ie: public share) might do the trick aswell

Offline torvan

• Veteran Member
  • Old School
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 11:16:02 PM »
I use it all the time on my Mac Pro running El Capitan.  All I had to do was

1. Enable the FTP server on OSX through Terminal (sudo -s launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/ftp.plist).

2. Share files though Sharing Preferences on OSX.

3. Fire up Fetch on OS 9.2.2 and have it connect using the IP address of the Mac Pro.
15 Macs (13 of them ranging from an SE to a MDD), 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 1 Hackintosh. Small house getting smaller with each Mac. . . . .  .Husband shakes his head but supports my habit.